T Nation

How Much Do You Chin?

I can’t remember the last time a thread like this came up so …

What about it post the most you have added to a belt and chinned?

No belt. Just a 20lb DB for 4 reps.

[quote]undeadlift wrote:
No belt. Just a 20lb DB for 4 reps.[/quote]

Good start keep going!!

I can’t get many reps with bodyweight, but I can strap on 40kg (88lbs) and get 2 reps. I weigh around 240lbs as well…

[quote]Dave_ wrote:
I can’t get many reps with bodyweight, but I can strap on 40kg (88lbs) and get 2 reps. I weigh around 240lbs as well…[/quote]

A 328 pound chin is impressive in just about any gym in my experience.

Congrats on the 300 club on upper body.

My best chin was 35 for a triple. But all of my higher rep numbers have improved significantly since then, so I am probably due for 45 or 55 lbs. for two or three reps. I’ve been meaning to test that.

How about you Helio? What’s your best chin?

2 and half months ago I couldnt even lift myself up. Now I can do 5 sets of 5 with 15 pounds. I weigh about 220. Today Im trying 25 pounds.

3 sets of 5 with 45 lbs at 220

[quote]Fabius Cunctator wrote:
My best chin was 35 for a triple. But all of my higher rep numbers have improved significantly since then, so I am probably due for 45 or 55 lbs. for two or three reps. I’ve been meaning to test that.

How about you Helio? What’s your best chin?[/quote]

I do sets in the 4 to 6 range currently with 80 lbs at 205.

I have maxed out with straps in the past at about 335 lbs total.

6x6 with 45lbs on belt. i’m 167lbs.

when i weighed 135 i did a max of 75lbs, didn’t feel too hard so i tried 90 but the chain broke haha.

too bad i didn’t keep it up :confused:

weight 185
chin (assuming this means supinated grip) at 90lb added for 1.5 reps over a month ago

weight 190
chin (assuming this means protonated grip)
at 100lbs added for 1 rep

My back is weak, so I do sets of ten with assistance from the…machine. I could probably do sets of four or five with bodyweight at the beginning of my workout, but that would just screw up everything to follow.

the other day I did sets of 4 with the 45lb plate. I weigh 190. The max I ever did at this weight was +65lbs. so a 255 total.

I should try again soon I suppose.

-chris

@188 pounds (with no clothes), I can currently do bodyweight+40 pounds x 8 slow reps.

I estimate the total with clothes and belt is slightly over 230 pounds.

I never tested my max on this movement, but I am sure it would be interesting.

Note I use the same weight for weighted dips where I can usually squeeze out 9 reps.

As for belts breaking, I use this one, it’s strong enough to hold 1000 lbs:
http://www6.mailordercentral.com/ironmind/prodinfo.asp?number=1310

6 reps at around 285 BW, yes I realy hate chins.

I just got an Xvest with a 84lb capacity, so that’s my goal. I got 38 easy, and stalled just shy of 42. When I get to 84 I’ll work on reps. Right now I can only do 8 bodyweight chins at 220lbs, so I’ve got a lot of work to do.

[quote]Uncle Gabby wrote:
I just got an Xvest with a 84lb capacity, so that’s my goal. I got 38 easy, and stalled just shy of 42. When I get to 84 I’ll work on reps. Right now I can only do 8 bodyweight chins at 220lbs, so I’ve got a lot of work to do.[/quote]

You could try slow negative chins with 84 no prob. You’ll get 1 rep in no time.

[quote]Uber N3wb wrote:
6 reps at around 285 BW, yes I realy hate chins.[/quote]

I feel for ya, atleast somewhat. I weigh around 240, and the most I’ve ever done is with 45 lbs on the belt for 4 reps. I’ve got long ass arms, though, which makes this lift one of my least favorites. It’s hard as hell to add weight to it.

8x3 with 45# plate.