T Nation

How Much Cardio Should I Add?

So It's my first week doing starting strength and I was wondering how much cardio I should include.

I'm thinking of doing SS M/W/F

With cardio on the other days. What i'm concerned about is how much cardio. I've got about 50 lbs of fat to lose to reach my optimal weight.

I've heard cardio in the morning is the best but there's a lot of people who say otherwise. So if you disregard the time of day, how much cardio should I add into my workout?

Thanks

Start off slow, you don’t know how sore or tired you’ll be from the workouts. Think about it, you’re going to be deadlifting and squatting three times a week. I’m sore for 3 days after either of those.

Maybe 10-20 minutes walking or light jogging? Then up duration or intensity as needed by what the scale and the mirror tell you.

Seems, as with most things, you should start off with little then do more.

[quote]FatAss2008 wrote:
So It’s my first week doing starting strength and I was wondering how much cardio I should include.

I’m thinking of doing SS M/W/F[/quote]

Depending on your schedule, I’d either start with about 20 minutes of incline walking right after each weight session, or 20-30 minutes of pretty easy walking on your off days (Tu, Th, Sat, and Sun). Either of those would be a good start.

You don’t want, or need, to overwhelm yourself. Starting a new weight training program and cleaning up your nutrition is going to produce some results by itself, so you don’t necessarily have to go overboard with additional cardio. Just adding in some extra moving around in general will help.

What’s your current height and weight?

It’s not necessarily “best.” It’s good, for sure, but what’s more important is how cardio fits into your total training plan. There are other options.

Chris ^ is a wealth of information

this might be useful to consider:
http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/training/cardio_progressions.htm

good article by Dr. John Berardi on cardio progressions