How Much Can a Commercial Bar Take?

ok so i have a bar that i got from a standard 300lb set thats like wicked crappy knurling thats been beinding a shit load under 450 pounds, how much weight do u think is safe for this for things like pin squats or dl’s?

If you can lift that much it is time to get a real bar. Get a texas power bar or something similar, will cost about $250 or so. Now worries after that.

If you’re doing pin squats/pulls, don’t get a good bar, you’ll just thrash it. Make sure the sleeves of the bar aren’t working their way loose and you should be ok.

If you’re looking for a bar you’re not gonna use for that sorta stuff, can’t beat a Texas Power Bar for the price!

I have been told by wholesalers that several of the commecial bars form China are rated at 600lbs for some 300kgs for others, or altenately they don’t know the difference

It might be ok for back squats, as it’ll bend to be relatively even. I wouldn’t trust it with anything over 440 though, and even then it’d be whipping like crazy. It’ll trash the bar though.

I really, really wouldn’t rack pull with it. We had a bar like that. It is now curved about 2", the sleeves angle down, and it actually is bent in a spiral-ish shape so it wrenches your forearms and arms when lifting.

Get a good bar for normal exercises, and a middle of the range bar for rack pulls and other trashing excercises.
Or get a good bar, and use blocks or rubber mats instead of rack pins and avoid the pin squats, as it’s the bouncing on pins that screws the bar the worst. A good bar would last for years used like this, whereas I can’t think of any bar that’d take even a year of 700lb plus rack pulls and pin squats.

thanks for the replies, i actually have 3 crappy commercial bars with one of them having a much better grip so i should save that for everything but pin work and use the other to for pin squats or rack pulls? how much do u think the bar could take on a pin squat?

I have had 855 on the bars at my gym and all they do is bend a little, and bend back when the weights off.

however I went on vacation and used a bar at a different gym with 855 and it bent it like a boomerang lol.

All bars are different I guess…

Has anyone ever had / seen a bar BREAK? OR fail completely in any other way? I have seen a few bent ones in my time but not one that has suddenly dramatically failed.

Anyone?

bignate, i know it’s just part of your lats, but your avatar makes it look like you’re doin a side boob thing

[quote]Magarhe wrote:
Has anyone ever had / seen a bar BREAK? OR fail completely in any other way? I have seen a few bent ones in my time but not one that has suddenly dramatically failed.

Anyone?[/quote]

I’ve never seen one actually snap while lifting. I bent a shitty ass bar from Dick’s Sporting Goods so bad it started to kink in the middle, though.

I take the shittiest bars that LA Fitness has to offer and routinely do shrugs and rack pulls in the 700-800+ range and drop the bar onthepins every time.

While the bars flex a lot (though less than a DL bar or an Ivanko IPF-grade bar), they have never bent or broke. The main thing you get out of good bar is better knurling and a level of whippiness/thinness appropriate to you purpose- e.g. thick bars for squatting, thin bars for pulling, medium bars for everything else.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:

I’ve never seen one actually snap while lifting. I bent a shitty ass bar from Dick’s Sporting Goods so bad it started to kink in the middle, though.[/quote]

That is so sweet. I want to kink bars. In public.

[quote]NeelyDan wrote:
bignate, i know it’s just part of your lats, but your avatar makes it look like you’re doin a side boob thing[/quote]

so ive been told XD, i just have that up so after indoor track ill take another pic and see if im any improved or not

btw i got a solid bar used, so ill use my three crappy ones on pin stuff and the good one on everything else