T Nation

How Much BCAA's Do You Take?

I’ve read recommendations by authors on this site to take 40g of BCAA’s a day… thats roughly 33 pills of Biotest brand BCAA’s if my math is correct. Does anyone take such high amounts everyday?

A handful (about six to eight) in the morning, before and after training, and at bedtime. This works for me.

D

I take about half that amount, but I subscribe to the notion that BCAA’s by themselves are most beneficial / effective pre and post workout as with peptides. One should also consider that if you are taking Biotest or other protien complexes that you may already take in plenty of BCAAs serendipitously through your own protien consumption.

i take 20-30 grams per day, powder form and Biotest BCAA

wow that seems like too much to me.
I take 20-30g’s 4x a week during lifting sessions…I actually REALLY notice a difference in soreness. I reocver quick and feel stronger the next workout.
Don’t know how healthy it is to take everyday?
Also bought it in bulk…lastin me a longgg time and fairly cheap

how much did you get for 100$?

If I am correct some authors who previously recommended such a high dose of BCAAs now attribute the positive affects to the leucine content alone. Hence taking around 5g of leucine on its own may be as beneficial as taking 30g of BCAAs (and a lot cheaper).

That said, I have been impressed by the writings of Layne Norton - who still advocates BCAAs but in the normal dosage region of 5g x 1-3 times per day.

I take about 20g a day, powdered, purchased in bulk.

I’ve read recommendations by authors on this site to take 40g of BCAA’s a day… thats roughly 33 pills of Biotest brand BCAA’s if my math is correct. Does anyone take such high amounts everyday?--------> thats also roughly very retarded!!! stop killing your liver and kidneys, and go with a good whey supplement

Branched-chain amino acid content of some common dietary protein sources (mg amino acid / gram protein).

Eggs- Iso 54/ Leu 86/ Val 66

Cows Milk- Iso 47/ Leu 95/ Val 64

Beef- Iso 48/ Leu 83/ Val 50

Soy Isolate- Iso 49/ Leu 82/ Val 48

Not what you asked for but still some good information

[quote]Sepulnation wrote:
stop killing your liver and kidneys, and go with a good whey supplement[/quote]

Everyone who doesnt know their shit tend to turn to the liver/kidney argument. Fuck that.

Branched-Chain Amino Acid Supplementation in Patients with Liver Diseases1
Giulio Marchesini2, Rebecca Marzocchi, Marianna Noia and Giampaolo Bianchi

“BCAAs escape liver metabolism and are available in the general circulation for protein synthesis. The handling of BCAAs, also in the presence of liver disease, is probably mediated by circulating insulin concentrations, and their defective use in the presence of insulin resistance is likely to be overcome by systemic administration.”

“Leucine activates the synthesis of hepatocyte growth factor (HGF). The beneficial effects observed in patients with advanced cirrhosis during BCAA`s supplementation might stem from increased liver regeneration, compensating for possible liver-cell death.”

“Some research has shown that BCAA supplementation (typically 10-20 grams per day) does not result in meaningful changes in body composition, nor does it improve exercise performance or enhance the effects of physical training. However, BCAA supplementation may be useful in special situations, such as preventing muscle loss at high altitudes and prolonging endurance performance in the heat. Studies by one group of researchers suggest that BCAA supplementation may also improve exercise-induced declines in some aspects of mental functioning”

1. Kelly GS. Sports nutrition: a review of selected nutritional supplements for bodybuilders and strength athletes. Med Rev 1997;2:184-201.

2. Van Hall G, Raaymakers JSH, Saris WHM, Wagenmakers AJM. Supplementation with branched-chain amino acids (BCAA) and tryptophan has no effect on performance during prolonged exercise. Clin Sci 1994;87:52 [abstract #75].

3. Blomstrand E, Hassmen P, Ek S, et al. Influence of ingesting a solution of branched-chain amino acids on perceived exertion during exercise. Acta Physiol Scand 1997;159:41-9.

4. Blomstrand E, Hassmen P, Ek S, et al. Influence of ingesting a solution of branched-chain amino acids on perceived exertion during exercise. Acta Physiol Scand 1997;159:41-9.

Im not against BCAAs. IME they are very useful when taken correctly.

i ve noticed a better recovery by taking bcaa…especially during my workouts. For me its a staple supp in my stack

[quote]Mancador wrote:
Sepulnation wrote:
stop killing your liver and kidneys, and go with a good whey supplement

Everyone who doesnt know their shit tend to turn to the liver/kidney argument. Fuck that.

Branched-Chain Amino Acid Supplementation in Patients with Liver Diseases1
Giulio Marchesini2, Rebecca Marzocchi, Marianna Noia and Giampaolo Bianchi

“BCAAs escape liver metabolism and are available in the general circulation for protein synthesis. The handling of BCAAs, also in the presence of liver disease, is probably mediated by circulating insulin concentrations, and their defective use in the presence of insulin resistance is likely to be overcome by systemic administration.”

“Leucine activates the synthesis of hepatocyte growth factor (HGF). The beneficial effects observed in patients with advanced cirrhosis during BCAA`s supplementation might stem from increased liver regeneration, compensating for possible liver-cell death.”[/quote]

I think you just got owned.

Ignoring Mancador’s scientific asskicking, I don’t know where the hell you even arrived at the conclusion that BCAAs (just amino acid) could ever hurt your liver or kidneys…

Seriously, I’m baffled.