How Much Alcohol Causes Damage To The Liver

[quote]NikH wrote:

Dear Lord… the dentists who think diagnosing patients is their job are greatly confused.[/quote]

Wow…been doing this all day.

Glad to know from you that I did it wrong.

[quote]ChaseLA wrote:

I think the only thing at this point that will make him take a break is a scare from the doctor.

[/quote]

Or his first DUI. Or a pregnancy or disease scare because he took a girl home and didn’t use a rubber. Or getting his ass kicked because he drunkenly hit on some guys girlfriend. Or getting fired because he missed too many days of work. Or getting dumped because his GF didn’t want to go out drinking 5 nights a week.

If something gets a young man to change his drinking habits, it’s not going to be something as esoteric as liver function labs.

Beer isn’t drinking

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]NikH wrote:

Dear Lord… the dentists who think diagnosing patients is their job are greatly confused.[/quote]

[/quote]

I am no doctor, but it would be a safe assumption that NikH suffers from an acute case of shit for brains?

[quote]Captnoblivious wrote:

[quote]NikH wrote:

[/quote]

I am no doctor, but it would be a safe assumption that NikH suffers from an acute case of shit for brains?

[/quote]

I have to stay I’m stunned by your stupidity.

[quote]NikH wrote:

[quote]NikH wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

I have to stay I’m stunned by your stupidity.[/quote]

Do you have medical credentials? Maybe you have an MD, PhD, and conduct cutting edge research on liver disease?

Would you like to fill everyone in on why YOU are such an expert?

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]ChaseLA wrote:
Me and several of my friends started drinking way to young at age 14 to be exact.

We started small with

-half a bottle of red wine (age 14)

-full bottle of red wine (15)

-4 cans of beer (500 ml cans) (15)

-6 cans of beer (15-16)

-8 cans of beer (Rarely at 15, occasionally at 16, regularly at 17 and always at 18)

-Bottle of wine and 4 cans of beer (on big events sometimes at 17, 18 and 19)

I have always been smart about alcohol, even though i got wasted on most weekends I took several supplements such as whey protein, green tea extract and milk thistle since about 15 years old.

I also started working out when I was 14.

I had a blood test and my liver values came back fine, I attribute that to never drinking more than twice per week, eating tons of vegetables and taking the occasional one month off.

However there is one guy in our group who has a really bad relationship with alcohol, he drinks 8 cans/Bottle of wine and 4 cans 3-5 times per week. His diet is ok not much veg tho.

He runs like 2-5 kilometers per day and is pretty skinny and low bf% as you would imagine.

He justifies his drinking by “everyone does it” and “When your older you will regret not going out getting wasted when your younger”

I think the only thing at this point that will make him take a break is a scare from the doctor.

Anyone know what to your body if you drink excessively over a long period of time ? He as a six pack but Im guessing rotting inside.

I know in the USA the age is 21 to drink but here in the UK its 18 and most people start too young as we did.

[/quote]

Jesus Christ. Come back here when you’re actually drinking BOOZE, boy. You know, like whisky or tequila or vodka or gin.

Fucking kids these days. Back when I was a drinker, the shit you’ve described is what we liked to call a “warmup”. That’s what we drank before we even went out to start the real drinking.[/quote]

No shit, in Chico that’s called breakfast. :slight_smile:

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]ChaseLA wrote:
Me and several of my friends started drinking way to young at age 14 to be exact.

We started small with

-half a bottle of red wine (age 14)

-full bottle of red wine (15)

-4 cans of beer (500 ml cans) (15)

-6 cans of beer (15-16)

-8 cans of beer (Rarely at 15, occasionally at 16, regularly at 17 and always at 18)

-Bottle of wine and 4 cans of beer (on big events sometimes at 17, 18 and 19)

I have always been smart about alcohol, even though i got wasted on most weekends I took several supplements such as whey protein, green tea extract and milk thistle since about 15 years old.

I also started working out when I was 14.

I had a blood test and my liver values came back fine, I attribute that to never drinking more than twice per week, eating tons of vegetables and taking the occasional one month off.

However there is one guy in our group who has a really bad relationship with alcohol, he drinks 8 cans/Bottle of wine and 4 cans 3-5 times per week. His diet is ok not much veg tho.

He runs like 2-5 kilometers per day and is pretty skinny and low bf% as you would imagine.

He justifies his drinking by “everyone does it” and “When your older you will regret not going out getting wasted when your younger”

Anyone know what to your body if you drink excessively over a long period of time ? He as a six pack but Im guessing rotting inside.

I know in the USA the age is 21 to drink but here in the UK its 18 and most people start too young as we did.

[/quote]

Jesus Christ. Come back here when you’re actually drinking BOOZE, boy. You know, like whisky or tequila or vodka or gin.

Fucking kids these days. Back when I was a drinker, the shit you’ve described is what we liked to call a “warmup”. That’s what we drank before we even went out to start the real drinking.[/quote]

No shit, in Chico that’s called breakfast. :)[/quote]

Lol. Yeah, breakfast on a spring Tuesday morning.

[quote]Kakarat wrote:
Beer isn’t drinking[/quote]

this ^

It takes a lot of booze and time to kill you medically from the inside. I’d be more concerned with shotgun blasts to the head.

http://rozenbergquarterly.com/?p=5802

[quote]NikH wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]
It seems to be chronic, but the severity makes it appear acute.

[quote]DSSG wrote:

[quote]NikH wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]
It seems to be chronic, but the severity makes it appear acute. [/quote]

Wow that made me laugh.

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]DSSG wrote:

[quote]NikH wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]
It seems to be chronic, but the severity makes it appear acute. [/quote]

Wow that made me laugh.[/quote]

That was a good one!

You have grand delusions of adequacy; it’s lamentable.

[quote]NikH wrote:
[/quote]

If I can translate that into German in a way that it rolls of the tongue, consider that line stolen.

If you drink regularly your body is dealing with poison, similar to junk food. You’re not going to be as good looking or healthy as somebody who drinks less or not at all.

I am nearing 30, yet for the most part I do not drink much except for going out. On the other hand a lot of men my age or younger look older than me or look like shit.

What you do now affects you later on and whatever check ups you get will need to be compared with those who have a different lifestyle to yours.

Kidneys and liver are the two things which deal with drink and they do suffer under the strain when filtering it.

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]NikH wrote:
[/quote]

If I can translate that into German in a way that it rolls of the tongue, consider that line stolen.

[/quote]

It was mostly already stolen.

I mean depending on what type of beer and wine he is drinking, running 5 km a day is barely going to cut it. a 200lb guy jogging 5km a day would burn off 8 bud lights and a bottle of red wine in four days with just pure exercise. I think a lot of people drastically underestimate the amount of calories in alcohol and greatly overestimate the caloric burning of exercise.

Me and most of my buddies here in germany got hammered the first time at age 12 and I saw them drunk or got drunk together with them basically every day after passing the glorious age of 16.

Nothing bad ever happened. The acne meds I was on when I was that age f*cked my liver up worse.
As the rest already mentioned. Drinking beer and wine is widely considered warming up or “vorglühen” as we call it in my country.

Take the guys from Kreta for example. They drink at least one or 2 bottles of wine per day and they are considered some of the healthiest people on the planet.

You and your friend are doing fine.

[quote]jbpick86 wrote:
I mean depending on what type of beer and wine he is drinking, running 5 km a day is barely going to cut it. a 200lb guy jogging 5km a day would burn off 8 bud lights and a bottle of red wine in four days with just pure exercise. I think a lot of people drastically underestimate the amount of calories in alcohol and greatly overestimate the caloric burning of exercise. [/quote]

Won’t cut it?

Do you understand that someone’s metabolism is what judges how many calories they burn and not just their activity?

You don’t know how many calories a 200lbs guy would burn off without monitoring that one guy over that time period.

No calculator on earth is going to be able to predict basal metabolic rate from body weight alone. Those are ESTIMATES.