T Nation

How Many Use Periodization?

how many guys here use a specific periodization plan?

why do you use it? what do you usually do?

for those who don’t use it…why not?

do you feel just adding more weight/sets is enough to constantly progress?

Because I’m not training to peak at a certain date.

Because I’m not training to peak at a certain date.

Yes, but not for everything and admittidly my own version.

[quote]nyyanks25 wrote:
how many guys here use a specific periodization plan?

why do you use it? what do you usually do?

for those who don’t use it…why not?

do you feel just adding more weight/sets is enough to constantly progress?

[/quote]

My body tells me when to back off on training and when to add volume/weight/reps. Not a piece of paper.

[quote]nyyanks25 wrote:
how many guys here use a specific periodization plan?[/quote] I was into it for some time, but now I find some drawbacks. Periodization makes the assumption that you’ll have certain strength or endurance levels during a given time, which is flawed.
Periodization works better for optimizing performance, not body looks. Athletes will find far more benefitial training under it because they need different characteristics; peaking for a sports event or a meet isn’t the same that peaking for a show.
NOW you can switch variables on different scenarios. If you want to build muscle you have the same rules and the same restrictions, so you don’t really need to change things up; you can switch some things up like exercises/movements. The idea for growth is to find the best program suitable for the individual and progress as fast as you can upon it. Otherwise, which specific phases would you choose for the result of maximum muscle building to a certain date?
If you’re losing some fat or prepping for a contest, again, there’s no need to change; WHEN LOSING FAT, DO WHAT BUILDS MUSCLE/WHAT BUILT MUSCLE TO KEEP MUSCLE.

Load will always be the key for about 99% of the lifters, there are not much guys out there who have already maxed their strength levels. As for sets, it should be the maximum amount you can do without sacrificing intensity (not really telling you to strive for 50 sets per bodypart).

Wendler 5/3/1 uses a form of periodization- rotate through different percentages and deload in the fourth week