T Nation

How Many Times to Hit a Muscle?

hi there

how many times should i work out each muscle group in a week?
i have a leg injury which means i cant really work my legs out but with regards to the other muscle group

chest
back
shoulders
tri
bi

i can go the gym every day accept thurs and frid

if anyone has any tips i would be appreciate their advice.

cheers david .

ps was the bodys in 3oo real and if they were real did it only take them 4 months to get a body like that

If it was me I’d probably work biceps forearms back on Monday Saturday and Chest Shoulders Triceps on Tuesday Sunday or something similar. Moderate volume and heavy progressive weights.

No comment about 300.

I’ve had times in my lifting experience where I’ve trained really heavy and hit each bodypart once a week, and times where I’ve done higher volume, medium weights, and just rotated my schedule every 4 days. I like to think that anyt change is good, and will always produce some type of effect.

-S

Lots!

Anybody got a problem with that?

merlin

Well, the short answer is “more is better until it’s not”, which sounds like some kind of zen thing. The more times you work a muscle per week, the faster it will grow, as long as you get enough recovery, both specific and general.

The recovery rates of individual muscles vary, with 24-72 hours been the general range depending on training intensity. General recovery depends on a number of factors including your overall training volume, current nutrition, fitness level, etc.

A general strategy is to hit every muscle once a week, and trouble spots twice, this will mostly keep you out of trouble. If you want to push the edge you’ll need to do some experimentation to see what works the best for you.

1-2 times each week is appropriate.

I’d say at least twice a week. Maybe for smaller muscles (calves, etc.) maybe more.

Waterbury’s frequency ideas work…

my best results have come from training each bodypart twice every eight days

back
chest
legs
off
back
chest
legs
off

all i can tell you is experiment everyones recovery time varies although as it was stated in an earlier post that it generally takes 24-72 hours. 24 hours would usually be for forearms, calves etc while 72 for the lower back. everything else should fall in between. also if you train more intensly you will need more recovery time. nutrition is also key. if you can post a sample workout so i can get a better idea

austin

You’ll have advocate’s for both split and full body training. If you’re new to lifting then you’ll make gains on just about any type of training. During my 20 years of lifting I’ve tried just about every routine on both splits and FBT. Some gains were great, some good and some just maintained what I had. The idea is to work a routine until it no longer works or the gains stop and switch it up. In the end I’ve always seemed to favor 5x5.

hi
thanks for the reply

here is the work out

mon - back 5 sets 10 - 6 reps
tues- chest 5 sets 10 - 6 reps
wed - shoulders 5 sets 10 - 6reps
thurs- bic
sun- tric

eating habbits are
mon to frid
morning - 4 egg whites- protien shake
lunch - brown pasta or tuna
mid lunch - brown rice or egg whites or fruit
dinner- pasta
late snack tuna

sat and sun eat what i want which is rubbish

i am taking vitamins and omega fatty acids.
i know i have lots of protien in my diet,

how could i improve on my diet and workout ?

thanks for the help , this is the best site i have been on

defo dont hit the body part more than once a week. 24-72 hour rule is bullshit. the muscle might not feel sore and be capable of lifting the smae weight again but that doesnt mean it has recovered and grown from the stumuli it was put under. this process takes several days else you are selling yourself short

if its a sticking point, add intensity, not extra sets or times training per week etc.

all the best mate!

cheers everyone

[quote]R_Rob wrote:
defo dont hit the body part more than once a week. 24-72 hour rule is bullshit. the muscle might not feel sore and be capable of lifting the smae weight again but that doesnt mean it has recovered and grown from the stumuli it was put under. this process takes several days else you are selling yourself short

if its a sticking point, add intensity, not extra sets or times training per week etc.

all the best mate![/quote]

That’s way too generalized a statement. Sure, some people won’t have recovered after 72 hours, but the majority will have. Also, there are other factors that need to be taken into consideration. For instance:

Volume- the greater the volume the more recovery time is going to be needed. That’s why traditional BB splits where you train a muscle once per week and blast it for multiple sets from every conceived angle, require you to keep the frequency to once per week (once every 8 days).

However, if you keep your volume low (DC training is a good example of this type of training) you can train more frequently while still training intensely.

Intensity- the greater the “intensity” of the training, the more recovery time is required. And in this case, by intensity I don’t mean % of 1RM. I mean going to failure, using techniques like rest-pause, supramaximal eccentrics, etc…

If you stay well away from failure, it is possible to greatly increase the frequency that one can train at. In that case 24 hours may be all that is needed for recovery (especially in individuals with naturally good recovery).

Also, there are different theories concerning when it’s optimal to train a muscle again. There is a theory out there called “2 cycle theory” which basically suggests that you purposely “over-reach” (a less severe form of overtraining) for 2 weeks or so, and then back off and let the body recover and supercompensate. The theory goes that the summation of the many smaller growth stimuli cause a greater supercomensation effect than if you were to follow a traditional growth/recovery format.

Poliquin’s “Super Accumulation” article, and CW’s “30 Day Mass Plan” programs are both examples of this “2 cycle theory” in action.

Good training,

Sentoguy

[quote]R_Rob wrote:

I have to respectfully disagree. I have built my body and strength up from practically nothing using the basic ol’ three times a week full body program, sessions no longer than one hour each. I use low volume and high intensity (by the end of the session you’re practically begging for it to be over). Though, it is important for me to take every fourth week for recovery work (2/3’s volume and intensity).

This has worked for me, of course a person like me may have a faster recovery than someone else. It’s interesting to see that champion lifters have been found to train with insanely high frequencies on one end of the spectrum and then really low frequencies on the other.

That said, I think it is hard to tell someone else what is best for them. You really just have to have roll up your sleeves and try things for yourself to truely know.

[quote]davidcrossan wrote:

i know i have lots of protien in my diet

[/quote]

I disagree, you aren’t eating any red meat, your only protein source is tuna protein shakes and egg whites really. That sounds like a precontest diet.

i’ve been hitting it 2-3 times a week with great results…

I have heard you can hit a muscle up to 9 times per week. I done up to 6 times, the results were quite impressive.

[quote]pat36 wrote:
I have heard you can hit a muscle up to 9 times per week. I done up to 6 times, the results were quite impressive. [/quote]

Mostly when you start hitting it that often you’ll get excellent STRENGTH gains, but the HYPERTROPHY will not be so good.

[quote]R_Rob wrote:

where are you getting your facts from bro some bullshit magazine

[quote]blue9steel wrote:
pat36 wrote:
I have heard you can hit a muscle up to 9 times per week. I done up to 6 times, the results were quite impressive.

Mostly when you start hitting it that often you’ll get excellent STRENGTH gains, but the HYPERTROPHY will not be so good.

[/quote]

Could you eleborate on this one please ?