How Many Times Per Week Should I Train a Muscle Group?

Jesus may be black, but God is not a woman. I watch Him on youtube all the time.

5 Likes

There are also those who have made a name for themselves solely because of the sheer amount of study-quoting they do.

I believe there are two gurus–neither of whom have shown any highly impressive client success stories–who deserve to get punched.

1 Like

I feel a bit inferior when I write programs for my friends because they seem so basic. I think the reality is that the foundations of training haven’t changed but the internet stars are so good at selling crap that I feel like I’m behind or missing something.

5 Likes

Seconded.

Friend new to lifting:
“How do I develop my chest?”

My basic answer:
3-4 sets of bench press w/ 8-12 reps
3-4 sets of incline DB press w/ 8-12 reps
3-4 sets of a flye movement w/ 12-15 reps

That answer just seems so asinine in comparison to the complex shit people are able to read on the internet…what a shame.

2 Likes

Somehow it seems like standard reps are no longer good enough.

What about time under tension and rep tempos?
What about partial reps?
What about assisted reps?
What about supersets, trisets, giant sets, star complexes, Hulk sets, Puhisher compounds, or Thor Hammer Throws?

2 Likes

Sometimes stuff that looks complex is just simple things stacked on top of each other.

9 Likes

Another reason i like full body workouts is because you don’t have to worry about isolating a muscle group. It’s very simple, just pick one direct exercise for every muscle group and you are fine. This is why i prefer full body over body part splits, upper / lower, push / pull. It’s less thinking. Do mostly multi joint movements, stimulate muscle growth and leave the gym or do cardio.
But yeah guys you are right, every program will work as long as you put in the work.

1 Like

2 Likes

Honestly, at this stage in your training, one of the best things you could do for yourself is not have preferences. Try a whole BUNCH of different things, because then you’ll find out WHY they all work. I’ve been lifting weights as long as you’ve been alive (this month marks that actually), and in that time I’ve done Westside Barbell for Skinny Bastards, Pavel’s 3-5, Dogg Crapp, 20 Rep Squats, various 5/3/1s, along with stealing from programs like Cube and Westside and stealing ideas from Paul Kelso, Bob Peoples, Paul Anderson and Stuart McRobert. From all that, I’ve been able to put together my own programming really well, and used it to win local strongman competitions and hold federation records in powerlifting.

If you get locked into a certain way too early, you REALLY miss out.

8 Likes

Or like some I have seen some do , do a 180 degree turn on their training philosophy once something else becomes more popular

it really is interesting how the OP here, and plenty of new lifters like him, think advanced lifters come to the beliefs they have.

I think I speak for most, if not all, of the advanced lifters in this thread when I say that if you’ve lifted for a decade or more, you’ve probably tried A LOT of things. I know I have. Supersets, dropsets, full body workouts, 5-10 pre-written plans from big name trainers, things trainers at the gym suggest, things the big guy at the gym suggested, different eating habits, and the list goes on. We try EVERYTHING. And eventually, we see what works for us, and it is not the same from person to person. We all recognize that in a way that new lifters generally can’t grasp. I was the same way when I started. Whatever program I was running was the best one out there. Nobody could tell me different. I went through a phase where I thought CT’s programming was perfect. Then John Meadows. Then 5/3/1 was the best. Now strongman training gets me where I want to be better than anything else.

The simple fact is that we’re not as dogmatic as you characterize us to be. We’re mostly the opposite of that. BUT when I, and others, find connections between different programs we’ve run, or things that seem to work almost universally, we preach those things.

If you look through my post history, I suggest a handful of things to succeed. Lift with intensity, consistently, over a long period of time, and generally focus on compound movements, and you will probably end up in a better place than most people who ever set foot in a gym will. Anything more specific than that is not for me.

8 Likes

That is the KEY point right there!

3 Likes

What’s crazy too is that some things might not have worked 2-5 years ago, but now they’re like magic. Granted I’m only 24, but I’ve still had revelations doing shit I “tried” 4 or 5 years ago and thought was shit, only to find it’s exactly what I needed at the moment.

3 Likes

I’m going to try everything eventually. I’m focusing on full body workouts right now. Good advice.

Last time I looked at this thread posts were on topic, respectful debate, flame free and all that other good stuff lel.

So… if mmamachine’s premise is legit than does 10-20% faster gains on higher frequency mean low frequency dudes have wasted years of their lives?

Tbh I like the journey so IDGAF.

1 Like

BTW, the answer is 42.

5 Likes

Yes, that’s what it means bro.

Just take a look at the muscle proten synthesis study man. It went to baseline at the 36 hour mark. And they did 12 sets of 6 - 12 reps. That’s high volume.

‘The answer is 42’ is a reference to Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. It was meant to be funny…

Kids these days…

3 Likes