How Many Times Per Week Should I Train a Muscle Group?

My apologizes @The_Mighty_Stu for dropping your name as I did. I knew that you had at least one degree ( even more impressed that you have several) along with having some high end clients whom you advised. I wanted to give the young man some rope and see what he would do with it. He did what I expected…
Hangman

So now he either just needs to admit that hes doing a obviously poor job of Trolling … or that he is incredibly arrogant. At this point I honestly do not care which it is.

I always enjoy the phrasing, “optimal”. Once you grow up and take on real life this word becomes less and less useful. Optimal is heavy squat day today, I’m feeling good and fed. Real life is, the kid is getting sick so you gotta go the doctor instead. Then, they get sick in the middle of the night and your up taking care of bigger and more important things. A few days of stress, little sleep and somehow you start caring less about if you need to squat 3x a week. You just squat when time allows, and you stay ahead of the reaper. That’s my optimal.

9 Likes

This simply means “best or most favorable”. That’s an objective thing. Optimal with successful marriage, kids, full time, job, etc sometimes means just not dying :laughing:

1 Like

Yes, exactly.

I’m going to post every workout on my log soon.

Okay if all of you say that full body 6 days per week is not the best to train. What do you think about this? Splitting a Full Body 3 times per week into a Push / Pull setup. I can go harder on a couple of exercises per session, doing 6 multi joint exercises is too much for most natties. Or giving every lift it’s own day.
The Push Pull program i might run:

Day 1 - Pull (Deficit Deadlift, Chin Up, Reverse Row)
Day 2 - Push (Back Squat, Flat Bench Press, Overhead Press)
Day 3 - Pull (Repeat Day 1)
Day 4 - Push (Repeat Day 2)
Day 5 - Pull (Repeat)
Day 6 - Push (Repeat)
Day 7 - Off

I’m going to use mainly 3 rep sets. My idea is to trigger muscle protein synthesis, not annihilating the muscles. Also the 3 rep sets are going to be done explosively so i can recruit all the muscle fibers available. The split ensures fatigue managment.
24 - 30 reps per muscle group is good for naturals i think. I’ve thought about doing a full body approach that way but doing Deadlifts, Squats, Rows, Chins and Presses in one session is going to leave me fatigued. I can’t focus on a lift that way. The problem with this program is that some muscles get worked every day (lower back muscles, core, glutes). This might take a while to adapt.

Or i can use the original plan. Kind of splitting the volume of a 3 times per week full body in 6 days. Doing 3 sets of 3 reps or 4 sets of 3 reps. But most people don’t like the idea because of lack of volume per session but considering the fact that i’m training the next day, i don’t have to do 10 sets.

Thoughts on which one should i pick? I want a program that focuses on progression on these lifts:

1. Deficit or Conventional Deadlift
  2. Back Squat or Front Squat
  3. Flat / Incline / Decline Bench Press
  4. Chin Up
  5. Reverse Row / Dead Stop Row (I think that it was called pendlay, but you explode off the floor like deadlift)
  6. Push Press or Strict Press

Oh man

1 Like

I think you should just do 100 sets Of quit the crap, Pick a suitable program from Tnation then shutup and deadlift.

4 Likes

Toot away, man, you’ve earned it!

Someone should give you a medal for schooling this clown in here…

A bunch of grown ass man name calling a teenager. I’ve had enough, stupidity wins. You win guys. I’ve been respectful through the whole discussion but you can’t take it. Guess you should keep taking it in the rear hole like you usualy do. Bye.

Troll - O
T-Nation - 1

Bye, snowflake.

6 Likes

Stupidity wins?, i think in this instance you’ve lost .

2 Likes

And here I thought it was dead. Shame.

1 Like

respect

6 Likes

That is not at all what we mean by body part splits, although I guess I can see why you thought that.

No wonder you didn’t like them.

3 Likes

Far out.

Hahahahaha

Let’s face it.

People who constantly obsess over different programs/programming simply don’t want to work hard.

Every good program involves progression, and progression means it gets harder, and harder, until it’s no longer “fun” to think about all the gains you’re going to make and how great you’re going to look. So…this program sucks, this program is not working, I need a new program, etcetera, etcetara, etcetera…!

2 Likes