How Many Sets Per Muscle Group

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:

[quote]Alexsarmin wrote:
I will quote CT, he said in his how to make your own routine article that the optimal is 9-12 sets per muscle max 16. But he said if you do more then 12 sets and feel like you can do more chances are you are not hitting the musdcle group with enough weight. Since there is no one that can bust there ass for chest for example for 12 sets and still do more.[/quote]

It also makes a difference whether people choose to count warm-up/ramp-up sets or not though. There are a lot of semantics involved in counting sets.

For instance, someone doing DC training and performing bench might perform:

bar x 15-20 reps
135 x 12 reps
225 x 8 reps
250 x 4 reps
275 x 1-2 reps
315 x 8+4+2 (triple rest-pause set)

But, they might only count the final RP set since it was the only really challenging one. So, they would say that they only performed 1 triple RP set.

Someone else might perform the same number of exact same sets and say that they performed 8 sets (5 sets at submaximal weight and 3 sets at their working weight with little rest between them).

Who is right about the number of sets performed and who is wrong? Both and neither.[/quote]
i know what you mean but CT meant busting ass for 12 sets,so basically maybe stopping 2 reps before failure,so every set is hard

Is the article before the “recent” evolution of his principles. CT has written a post stating that he hit a PR after 70 sets of heavy pressing recently.

I think it depends heavily on your style.

I once heard a wise man named Jim Wendler say… “Just lift fucking weights” lol. Granted he is a powerlifter, I still beleive this wonderful concept applies to the world of bodybuilding. Hit a muscle group until you can’t anymore. Don’t stop at a specific number if there’s more in the tank.

[quote]Alexsarmin wrote:

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:

[quote]Alexsarmin wrote:
I will quote CT, he said in his how to make your own routine article that the optimal is 9-12 sets per muscle max 16. But he said if you do more then 12 sets and feel like you can do more chances are you are not hitting the musdcle group with enough weight. Since there is no one that can bust there ass for chest for example for 12 sets and still do more.[/quote]

It also makes a difference whether people choose to count warm-up/ramp-up sets or not though. There are a lot of semantics involved in counting sets.

bar x 15-20 reps
135 x 12 reps
225 x 8 reps
250 x 4 reps
275 x 1-2 reps

But, they might only count the final RP set since it was the only really challenging one. So, they would say that they only performed 1 triple RP set.

Someone else might perform the same number of exact same sets and say that they performed 8 sets (5 sets at submaximal weight and 3 sets at their working weight with little rest between them).

Who is right about the number of sets performed and who is wrong? Both and neither.[/quote]
i know what you mean but CT meant busting ass for 12 sets,so basically maybe stopping 2 reps before failure,so every set is hard[/quote]

I wasn’t specifically talking about CT as much as bodybuilding in general.

5 sets for all muscle groups

I hit everything twice a week though, so it works out

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:

[quote]Alexsarmin wrote:

bar x 15-20 reps
135 x 12 reps
225 x 8 reps
250 x 4 reps
275 x 1-2 reps

Was just gonna point this out.

Today’s leg workout, I did 5 sets of back squats, 6 sets of front squats, and 2 sets of RDLs…but only 1 set of back squats was a working set, 2 sets of the front squats, and 1 set of the RDLs…so only 4 fucking working sets, for a somewhat short workout. And it felt great. If the intensity and progress are there, the rest is relative.

As many sets as you can recover from before the next session while continuing to make progress.

H4M brought up a great point too.

High volume training right now