T Nation

How Many Sets Per Body Part?

How many sets do you do, per bodypart, when using a BP split (not Full body) when:

A/ You are using a particlarly high volume cycle, or
B/ When you are using less volume…

Chest:6-14
Back:8-18
Bi:4-12
Tri:4-12
Delts:6-15
Quads:3-9
Hams:3-9
Calfs:3-9
Forearms:3-9
Traps:3-12
Abs/core section:3-12

Be honest!!!

Joe

Chest: 8 sets
Bis: 6 sets
Quads: 6 sets
Hams: 6 sets
Calves: 4 sets
Delts: 6 sets
Traps: 2 sets
Tris: 6 sets
Upper back and lats: 8 sets
Rear delts: 4 sets
Lower Back (deadlifts): 2 sets
Abs: 4 sets

I NEVER train with high volume as I see no point in doing so.

I use a lot of pre-exhaust all the time and periodically use negatives on exercises that allow me to do so (pullover machine, chinups, curls, tricep extensions, leg extensions, hamstring curls, flies, seated calf raises, dips).

trying out a bit of high volume ATM
Chest:11
Back:11
Bi:7
Tri:7
Delts:10
Quads:8
Hams:8
Calfs:5
Forearms:2
Traps:4
Abs/core section:6

but I do that twice a week

I use a generally higher volume, because that is what my body responds to for putting on mass the best. So somthing like this:

m: Legs: 16 - 22
t: Delts: 16 - 20
Traps: 4
w: Back: 16 - 22
f: Chest: 12 - 16
s: Bi: 9 - 12
Tri: 9 - 12
Forearms: 4 - 8
Calves (4 - 8, 2-3 times a week)

I never understood these sorts of things…

what is the point…

according to NSCA 12-20 sets per body part per week for hypertrophy.

Personally though, this is what I’ve been doing lately. Not trying to do too much since I need a lot of calories as it is.

Chest 10-12
Shoulders 4
No Triceps or Biceps work, all compound
Back 14
Legs 14
no abs

for the past 3 weeks I’ve doubled up one body part per week
Either doing chest/shoulders 2x in one week, or Back 2x in one week, or legs twice, with just one less working set than normal

[quote]mr popular wrote:
I never understood these sorts of things…

what is the point…[/quote]

Simply to compare…?

Joe

My new routine (includes warm up sets):

2x per week:
Chest 6
Back 6
Shoulders 3 or 6 (for routine A or B)
Bis 3-4
Tris 3-4
Abs 4

2x per week:
Legs 14
Calves 2-3

[quote]Joe Brook wrote:

Simply to compare…?

Joe[/quote]

I meant I don’t get the point of counting sets, or doing a predetermined number of sets… let alone comparing that with other people.

I don’t understand HOW they are supposed to be comparable?

What if one guy does 8 sets per bodypart, but those are all work sets, with the same weight for the same reps, none of the sets going to failure. (or all of them going to failure)

And another guy does 12 sets per bodypart, but they are pyramided and he only reaches failure 3 times with a working weight in that workout.

And yet another guy does only 1 set after 3-4 increasing sets, but he rest-pauses it three times (reaches failure three times).

And at what point is a “set” and not a warmup?

How do you compare one with the other? What is the POINT? That is what I don’t get.

Who chose your name?

[quote]Joe Brook wrote:
Who chose your name?[/quote]

I laughed my ass off at that Joe!

Chest 5-10
Back 5-15
Rear delts - 0-5

Legs - 5-15
Abs - 3-5

Off
Mid Delts - 5-15
Arms - 5-10

Off

Done every 5 or 6 days then repeat.

Worth mentioning that I do a lot of rotator cuff stuff (about 3-6 sets per workout) that I didn’t included because it’s corrective vs. mass building.

The name is supposed to be ironic.

no one has an answer for me?

I don’t know if you think I was just being negative or something, but I honestly would like an answer to my question. If there is a good reason to count sets I want to know why. Anyone?

[quote]mr popular wrote:
I never understood these sorts of things…

what is the point…

no one has an answer for me?

I don’t know if you think I was just being negative or something, but I honestly would like an answer to my question. If there is a good reason to count sets I want to know why. Anyone?[/quote]

It is easy to interpret your first reply as negative - it isn’t that you aren’t going to participate and not post, you actually engage the thread with a “what is the point of this thread” reply.

That behavior is pretty negative but I’ll assume that you were asking a serious question as to why someone would want to count sets:

GVT requires that one count sets as do so many other training methods. You’ve been at it less than a year and may not have uncovered some of the characteristics of your body. But those who have been at it a long time find it useful for growth and strength reasons to KNOW how much work they are doing.

There was/is the chance that someone will reply with 25 sets for triceps and generate a discussion as to the merits of such high volume for triceps.

Some reading this thread do care to read what others are doing - they may even care more about these types of thread than ones asking if people would marry a porn star.

Remember, just because you can’t see the point of something doesn’t mean that it is pointless. I don’t understand German but when I see two people having a conversation in german they sure do look like they are communicating.

[quote]mr popular wrote:
The name is supposed to be ironic.

no one has an answer for me?

I don’t know if you think I was just being negative or something, but I honestly would like an answer to my question. If there is a good reason to count sets I want to know why. Anyone?[/quote]

It is simply, Mr popular, a simple, base, generic way to compare volume of work.

I agree with your point, i really do. it is just simply not that detailed, it would be much more scientific if it was, and maybe random double blind too, but it was just for a general comparison of volume.

And you don’t see the point of comparing? Comparing is, i would guess, one of the main ways humans improve themselves, (Other than trial and error) by comparing whatever the subject is, and changing/adapting to improve on the comparison (keeping up with the jones’ is one of the base impulses as old and basic as sex, anger and hunger)

More to the point, its to see what others do and how it seems to work for them.

Joe

[quote]905Patrick wrote:
mr popular wrote:
I never understood these sorts of things…

what is the point…

no one has an answer for me?

I don’t know if you think I was just being negative or something, but I honestly would like an answer to my question. If there is a good reason to count sets I want to know why. Anyone?

It is easy to interpret your first reply as negative - it isn’t that you aren’t going to participate and not post, you actually engage the thread with a “what is the point of this thread” reply.

That behavior is pretty negative but I’ll assume that you were asking a serious question as to why someone would want to count sets:

GVT requires that one count sets as do so many other training methods. You’ve been at it less than a year and may not have uncovered some of the characteristics of your body. But those who have been at it a long time find it useful for growth and strength reasons to KNOW how much work they are doing.

There was/is the chance that someone will reply with 25 sets for triceps and generate a discussion as to the merits of such high volume for triceps.

Some reading this thread do care to read what others are doing - they may even care more about these types of thread than ones asking if people would marry a porn star.

Remember, just because you can’t see the point of something doesn’t mean that it is pointless. I don’t understand German but when I see two people having a conversation in german they sure do look like they are communicating.[/quote]

Since when does doing anything for a long time make you an expert? And he never said it was pointless, he asked for the point.

On the subject of points, what is the point of your “German” statement. Are you suggesting that most people don’t see the point of foreign languages?