How Many Reps to Gain Strength?

I’ve been reading the articles on such topics and i’m almost lost. I want the strength to do a thousand pull-ups and push-ups. I don’t really want the strength to flip a car over just once. (it would be nice though). Some sites/articles say do the weight that you can only do once. Others say do the weight to do 6+ reps. What should I do??

[quote]liftforstars wrote:
I’ve been reading the articles on such topics and i’m almost lost. I want the strength to do a thousand pull-ups and push-ups. I don’t really want the strength to flip a car over just once. (it would be nice though). Some sites/articles say do the weight that you can only do once. Others say do the weight to do 6+ reps. What should I do? [/quote]

Are you being metaphorical when you say you want the strenght to do one thousand pushups / pullups? If not, why would you want to do that in the first place? Regardless, doing a thousand pushups is about stamina more than it is about strenght.

smartly enough try doing a lot of pushups, submaximal sets throughout the day. Remember to cycle the amount of volume you’re doing

Well, I just need the strength, stamina, and endurance to pass a test. The test consists of like 80 pushups in 2 mins, like 60 situps in 2 mins. That sort of thing. I can deadlift my body weight. That could describe my strength in a sense. I’m not sure if thats even remotely “average”.

Well, I just need the strength, stamina, and endurance to pass a test. The test consists of like 80 pushups in 2 mins, like 60 situps in 2 mins. That sort of thing. I can deadlift my body weight. That could describe my strength in a sense. I’m not sure if thats even remotely “average”. [/quote]

Even for someone who’s never touched a weight, a bodyweight deadlift is pretty weak. That said, flipping a tire is closer to a clean than a deadlift.

What is the entire test? You’re being really vague, but it sounds like more of a test of endurance than strength.

I can deadlift my body weight. That could describe my strength in a sense. I’m not sure if thats even remotely “average”. [/quote]

It’s not.

Anything you can do more then three times in a row just isn’t worth doing.

Height: 5’4 ( maybe give few inches )
Weight: 200 ( give or take a few )
Type: I have the flab, but for the most part, not a very “fat” looking person. With a big shirt, I’m fat alberts nephew. My arms are sorta buffy and legs a little.
Attitude: I love feeling strong and confident. I am a quitter for the most part, but won’t quit if I know I only have to push a little more.
Bench press: Around 120. On a good day, a little more.
Deadlift: 200 ( mutliple times )

I can do a fair amount of push-ups. Can’t do a lot of sit-ups. ( boredom thing )

The test is as follows:

3 events: sit-ups, push-ups, and 1.5 mile run.

push-ups: 62 push-ups in 1 minute
sit-ups: 55 in 1 minute
1.5 mile run: 9 minutes and 36 seconds

I believe pull-ups are also required. Not sure.

Questions/comments on what has been said so far? Please post. I need to get a move on it. Any help would surely be appreciated.

Height: 5’4 ( maybe give few inches )
Weight: 200 ( give or take a few )
Type: I have the flab, but for the most part, not a very “fat” looking person. With a big shirt, I’m fat alberts nephew. My arms are sorta buffy and legs a little.
Attitude: I love feeling strong and confident. I am a quitter for the most part, but won’t quit if I know I only have to push a little more.
Bench press: Around 120. On a good day, a little more.
Deadlift: 200 ( mutliple times )

I can do a fair amount of push-ups. Can’t do a lot of sit-ups. ( boredom thing )

The test is as follows:

3 events: sit-ups, push-ups, and 1.5 mile run.

push-ups: 62 push-ups in 1 minute
sit-ups: 55 in 1 minute
1.5 mile run: 9 minutes and 36 seconds

I believe pull-ups are also required. Not sure.

Questions/comments on what has been said so far? Please post. I need to get a move on it. Any help would surely be appreciated.

It sounds like a Navy Physical Readiness test - the only reason I’d know that is cuz I work with the nasties every day:)
But seriously, why not start by doing those excercises in particular. A lot.

And find some excercises that would supplement like bench and such. Higher reps, lower weight. Blah blah blah

I’d suggest running/cardio to lose weight first…
Didn’t see that you were so heavy for such a small frame.
I would dare so you hover around obese…?
It would make the push ups, curl ups and run easier with less weight to have to do it all with, too

I’d suggest running/cardio to lose weight first…
Didn’t see that you were so heavy for such a small frame.
I would dare so you hover around obese…?
It would make the push ups, curl ups and run easier with less weight to have to do it all with, too

I wouldn’t say i’m “obesed”. I don’t really eat a lot. I just don’t exercise. If burning calories gets the fat off, then I can just sit where I lift weights. It can easily get around 95 degrees in their. Sorta like a steam room but without the steam.

Sorta funny to me:

I was changing the weights on my deadlift bar and I started a massive sweat thing. Burning my eyes to be exact.

I want to get better at sit-ups but damn, its just so damn boring. up and down, up and down. I tried music but I just lose count and i’m all about numbers. I don’t have the drive for some reason. Push-ups are a different story. I sorta love them. Especially when my Pectoralis Major isn’t screaming a hell in me.

rep range for strength is 4-6 range, power is usually 1-3 reps done as fast as possible with as much weight as possible
8-12 is general conditioning range and 15+ is endurence range

at that weight and height im pretty sure you are obese man, no disrespect or nothing but…

dont go over board on cardio, a few times a week tops keep it to around 20 mins each time, lift hard, lift heavy you will get stronger and boost your metabolism and build some muscle with your newb gains while still on a cutting diet