How Many Irish on T-Nation?

[quote]supermick wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:
Ryu wrote:
Well i’m Northern Irish (its a touchy subject lol) - because i was born here and live here.

IMO if your irish you better be born there. Same for any nationality - i’m not quite sure what the attraction is of being 8th generation something or other - whats the point - are people not content with their identity - do you actually “feel” the chosen country in your bones or something?

When i was in australia a woman kept harping on and on that she was irish 'cause of her grandparents blah blah blah “fitzpatrick - thats a good irish name” she said, my friend replied “actually its french-norman” - end of conversation. Theres probably very little pure blood left in the world what with maurauding armies invading etc etc.

rant over.

You are not American- this is why you don’t understand this.

In a nation of immigrants, many people still identify with the country that their forebears came from. I’m a mix of a couple different things, and I hold no illusions that I’m American, not any kind of European. However, don’t be surprised when people still have strong ties to the original European nation. Hell, I do.

Like I said, it is truly an “American” thing.

I totally understand it - its called pluralism, and as far as i understand is very much encouraged in the US and A (sorry boratisms keep creeping in). Its still a bit daft in my opinion though. Your not irish American, the same as the other guy is not Italian American, or African American just as i will never be a viking, Hun, Roman, Greek, A quarter Genghis Khan or whatthefuck ever.

Just BS in an effort to obtain an identity and background.[/quote]

I hear you.

[quote]supermick wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:
Ryu wrote:
Well i’m Northern Irish (its a touchy subject lol) - because i was born here and live here.

IMO if your irish you better be born there. Same for any nationality - i’m not quite sure what the attraction is of being 8th generation something or other - whats the point - are people not content with their identity - do you actually “feel” the chosen country in your bones or something?

When i was in australia a woman kept harping on and on that she was irish 'cause of her grandparents blah blah blah “fitzpatrick - thats a good irish name” she said, my friend replied “actually its french-norman” - end of conversation. Theres probably very little pure blood left in the world what with maurauding armies invading etc etc.

rant over.

You are not American- this is why you don’t understand this.

In a nation of immigrants, many people still identify with the country that their forebears came from. I’m a mix of a couple different things, and I hold no illusions that I’m American, not any kind of European. However, don’t be surprised when people still have strong ties to the original European nation. Hell, I do.

Like I said, it is truly an “American” thing.

I totally understand it - its called pluralism, and as far as i understand is very much encouraged in the US and A (sorry boratisms keep creeping in). Its still a bit daft in my opinion though. Your not irish American, the same as the other guy is not Italian American, or African American just as i will never be a viking, Hun, Roman, Greek, A quarter Genghis Khan or whatthefuck ever.

Just BS in an effort to obtain an identity and background.[/quote]

Mick, you seem to have a bug up your ass. What’s the deal? Do you hate Americans or something? If someone asked me what my nationality was… am I supposed to say American?

Exactly where do American’s come from? What is an American? I would love for you to define one. We are a mixed country of different nationalites, more than any other country.

By the way, If someone says they’re Irish. They’re fuckin’ Irish buddy. It don’t matter that they weren’t born there either. If my ancestors lived in Ireland for say 800 years and in America for say 25 years… what do they lose their 800 years of heritage now and we are now this new American race?

There are people here that are more Irish than some people living in Ireland. Italian would be another nationality that carries strong ties over to America.

I had a Sicilian girlfriend born in Sicily and I can tell you what she was like. My step dad is 100% Italian and he and his parents were born here… but I can tell you this, that guy was more “Italian” than my Italian ex girlfriend ever showed.

Now quit denying my American friends our nationalities. Some of us are more proud of being Irish or Italian or whatever it is than some of the natives of that country.

Mum is straight from Dublin, and dad is out of Frankfurt, and they both met at NYU.

1/2 German
1/2 Irish

[quote]Go heavy fool wrote

Mick, you seem to have a bug up your ass. What’s the deal? Do you hate Americans or something?
[/quote]

Not at all mate.

[quote]
If someone asked me what my nationality was… am I supposed to say American? [/quote]
Yes. Your American and proud. Does that sound strange to you? Not having the 16th generation ‘irish’ tag?

Are you born and raised in America - yes? Then your American. End of.

If someones Irish and live outside of Ireland then they have to be born in Ireland to qualify as irish. Otherwise there Not Irish. Its pretty simple really. If your great great granny was Irish, it means fuck all and all the Guinness drinking, blarney stone kissing in the world wont change that.

Im not denying your Nationalities. Your American. I like Americans, on the whole. Your not Irish. Its simple, globally other people grasp it - time will dictate here. Im another 100 years will your grandchildren still be Irish? Bollocks will they, and neither are you.

I’m 100% second-generation Irish. My parents where born there and moved here. Most of my relatives still live there.

[quote]supermick wrote:
Go heavy fool wrote

Mick, you seem to have a bug up your ass. What’s the deal? Do you hate Americans or something?

Not at all mate.

If someone asked me what my nationality was… am I supposed to say American?
Yes. Your American and proud. Does that sound strange to you? Not having the 16th generation ‘irish’ tag?

Exactly where do American’s come from? What is an American? I would love for you to define one. We are a mixed country of different nationalites, more than any other country.

Are you born and raised in America - yes? Then your American. End of.

By the way, If someone says they’re Irish. They’re fuckin’ Irish buddy. It don’t matter that they weren’t born there either. If my ancestors lived in Ireland for say 800 years and in America for say 25 years… what do they lose their 800 years of heritage now and we are now this new American race?

If someones Irish and live outside of Ireland then they have to be born in Ireland to qualify as irish. Otherwise there Not Irish. Its pretty simple really. If your great great granny was Irish, it means fuck all and all the Guinness drinking, blarney stone kissing in the world wont change that.

There are people here that are more Irish than some people living in Ireland. Italian would be another nationality that carries strong ties over to America.

I had a Sicilian ex girlfriend born in Sicily and I can tell you what she was like. My step dad is 100% Italian and he and his parents were born here… but I can tell you this, that guy was more “Italian” than my Italian ex girlfriend ever showed.

Now quit denying my American friends our nationalities. Some of us are moreproud of Being Irish or Italian or whatever it is than some of the natives of that country.

Im not denying your Nationalities. Your American. I like Americans, on the whole. Your not Irish. Its simple, globally other people grasp it - time will dictate here. Im another 100 years will your grandchildren still be Irish? Bollocks will they, and neither are you.

[/quote]

O.K. whatever

I’m still telling people I’m Irish though. My country is America, but my ancestry is Irish. American would be Indian or Incan or Mongolian or some shit. I’m only part Irish anyway. 3rd generation. I don’t consider myself very Irish. But, some others do. All of my ancestors come from Europe so that’s what I consider myself… European American I guess. Since I am a mix.

I guess it is an American thing. You should be happy that us Americans are actually proud of where our ancestors came from… otherwise we would just blow up the old country and turn it into a parking lot for our automotive exports.

[quote]Go heavy fool wrote:

[/quote]

Australia is in exactly the same situation as what you just mentioned.

As I said before I was born in Australia and consider myself Australian despite the fact that my older sisiter, parents, grandparents, great grandparents and even further back are all english.

I think in some situations it may be a pride issue. I love Australia, I love the fact that I was born here, and despite where my family is from I am proud to be an Australian.

Maybe you are ashamed of being American or think that it is cooler or more sophisticated to be considered something other than American, if that is the case, go ahead and call you chinese because if you were born in the US you are just as much mongolian as you are irish.

This doesnt mean that you dont have to forget your heritage or ancestery or not be proud of it, but if you are born in the US, you are American.

Just my $0.02

[quote]helga wrote:
Go heavy fool wrote:

Australia is in exactly the same situation as what you just mentioned.

As I said before I was born in Australia and consider myself Australian despite the fact that my older sisiter, parents, grandparents, great grandparents and even further back are all english.

I think in some situations it may be a pride issue. I love Australia, I love the fact that I was born here, and despite where my family is from I am proud to be an Australian.

Maybe you are ashamed of being American or think that it is cooler or more sophisticated to be considered something other than American, if that is the case, go ahead and call you chinese because if you were born in the US you are just as much mongolian as you are irish.

This doesnt mean that you dont have to forget your heritage or ancestery or not be proud of it, but if you are born in the US, you are American.

Just my $0.02[/quote]

By your explanation… I should consider you an Aborigine as well and myself of native ancestry such as Navajo and Pueblo.

I beg to differ. I’m fuckin Irish, Scottish and German heritage. And I’m proud to be an American… the country I was born in, reside, and will die in.

I am not a Mongolian, my ancestors came from Koln Germany in the 70’s, Scotland and Ireland in the 30’s and 40’s… not thru the Russian-Alaskan landbridge some 5,000 years ago.

I guess it is an American thing. You should be happy that us Americans are actually proud of where our ancestors came from… otherwise we would just blow up the old country and turn it into a parking lot for our automotive exports.
[/quote]

Well your sterotypical American superiority complex sure is showing, lol. Our automotive exports? I had no idea that America was exporting high end shit Fords to Germany.

I tend to agree much more with Supermick, it seems a lot of people who are lacking an identity and find that pretending to be a punk or goth (equally lame) is too much work usually over-represent their parents, or parents, parents’ second youngest cousins national origin.

I have friends particularly those with Italian backgrounds who will go on for days about how they are Italian and identifying with it, yet don’t speak the language and have little attachment to it or know its customs. I find that Irish Americans tend to not know much about the Emerald Island (not all).

One thing that I think Supermick and some may be forgetting is the fact that America is obsessed with race, religion, and ethnicity. Everyone here is not considered just “American” you are put into many categories but if you appear caucasian or black people will just label you that, no one gives a shit if you are 1/4 Dutch. And no one can spot the fact that you are Irish.

By the way I have the most messed up mix here. 1/2 Irish and 1/2 Jamaican (that is a probably mix with Akwa Natives spelling errors)

Go Heavy is right in that families tend to carry their ethnicity though it does get lost over the generations. My mother’s side of the family is pretty damn Irish, my Grandfather before recent health complications was the MOST amazing functional alcoholic, the man has a fridge for food and then a seperate fridge just for beer.

If someone asks you “what nationality are you” in America they aren’t expecting to hear American they really are asking for your ethnic background.

I don’t care what your background is, if you are American and you travel abroad you WILL NEVER FEEL MORE AMERICAN in your life. HAHAHA.

If you are smart you will just buy a Canadian flag shirt, who doesn’t love a Canadian tourist?

1/4 irish
1/4 swedish
1/4 german
1/4 dutch

so i …
am an alcoholic
am beatiful
am trying to take over the world
like tulips

I am mostly Scottish and English, but there is some Paddy in my blood.

Does Scots-Irish count?

By your explanation… I should consider you an Aborigine as well and myself of native ancestry such as Navajo and Pueblo.
[/quote]

Not at all, if you actually read what I wrote it says that I was born in Australia, so I am Australian, you were born in the US so you are American.

As I said, be proud of your Irish heritage if you want, but you are not Irish

[quote]helga wrote:
Go heavy fool wrote:

Not at all, if you actually read what I wrote it says that I was born in Australia, so I am Australian, you were born in the US so you are American.

As I said, be proud of your Irish heritage if you want, but you are not Irish[/quote]

this dispute seems a matter of semantics. when someone asks what you are in america, they are usually asking your ethnicity, not your nationality.

if you ask an ethnically chinese born in london what he is, does he tell you chinese? or does he say english?

when i travel abroad, i tell people i am american, but if another american asks, i know that they mean ethnicity.

[quote]elliot007 wrote:
this dispute seems a matter of semantics. when someone asks what you are in america, they are usually asking your ethnicity, not your nationality.

if you ask an ethnically chinese born in london what he is, does he tell you chinese? or does he say english?

when i travel abroad, i tell people i am american, but if another american asks, i know that they mean ethnicity.
[/quote]

I can respect that. I can only base my opinion on what I experience. In Australia if people ask where you are from they want to know what part of Australia you come from. No cares if you are 1/4 Irish or not.

This may be just my drunken thinking side taking over, but deal with it…

We don’t feel American because we aren’t “American”. the men who founded this country hated my kind all around. I’m Italian and Irish, and Catholic. There isn’t much more that the founding fathers disliked than a loyal Catholic.

My girlfriend, for instance, has a direct relative that signed the Declaration of Independence. He was English and protestant, and held land in Pennsylvania since this country was made. When you compare that with my family, it’s no wonder that I think of myself as “different from her”.

To me, you can’t compare a WASP signer of the DOI with someone who’s grandparents came over from Italy forty years ago. We aren’t the same people, we don’t have the same customs, and we don’t identify with the same things. Hell, the religion alone is enough to cause a stir in my family.

Americans are different. No one even believes I have any Irish in me because I look so Italian. When people think of “American” they might think of the tall blond kids, or, for all I know, Kentuckians with ten foot rifles. What I do know is that if I went to Italy, they’d speak Italian to me, even though I’m a mix of several different nationalities.

Yet, we are all “Americans”. That is the wonderful part about this country, that we have literally inherited the huddled masses yearning to breath free. I guess its one of those things that you have to be here to experience.

[quote]helga wrote:

I can respect that. I can only base my opinion on what I experience. In Australia if people ask where you are from they want to know what part of Australia you come from. No cares if you are 1/4 Irish or not.[/quote]

in US, this question would be asked “where are you from/born” as opposed to “what are you”

some americans are so overboard with their ethnicity that i think they embarass themselves

1/2 Irish (Dad)
1/2 Japanese (Mom)

Luckily, I got my temper and love of Guinness in my half. :slight_smile:

I was born and have lived in Belfast all my life. It’s Northern Ireland but as far as I can tell that still counts. That makes 3.