How Many Hours Do You Train/Week?

Just curious how much training people are doing, and if that has changed over time.

I’m at around 8 hours/week, and hit the gym M-F. My first couple years, it was closer to half that, so my training time/intensity has increased over time.

Do you find you are working out more as an intermediate/advanced lifter than as a beginner?

Yeah man, can’t really put it into hours.

I mean, I’m in the gym about 7 or so hours a week but I don’t put myself on a clock as to actual workout time.

Read:
I dick around a lot after my workout is done, drink a shake, cool off, etc.

4 Days/week for 1 Hour/workout = 4 hours of training.

I find my workouts have become much more structured than they were in the “beginner years,” hence less time spent in the gym.

Train smart. Quality trumps quantity all the time.

Around 5 hours/week. It actually used to be more because sometimes I would work out close to 2 hours, but now I find 1 hour/workout, give or take 10 minutes, to be better.

[quote]Polish Rifle wrote:

I find my workouts have become much more structured than they were in the “beginner years,” hence less time spent in the gym.

Train smart. Quality trumps quantity all the time.[/quote]

+1

I train EOD, so 3-4 hrs per week, at 1 hr/session.

http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding/how_many_hours_you_lift_a_week

This should help with your curiousity

7 days a week, usually 75 minutes or so. Too much math for me lol.

And to your second question, yes I work out more as I get more experienced. I constantly need more volume to grow and along with an increased recovery rate over time, I am able to go more often and stay longer.

If I include the aerobic work, warm-up, pre-hab, etc…
10-15 hours a week.
At 46 it takes more time than it used to get ready for the heavy work. I’m figuring one minute for every year old a lifter is! LOL

[quote]Polish Rifle wrote:

Train smart. Quality trumps quantity all the time.[/quote]

In the beginning I was easily putting in about 10-12 hours a week. Busting my ass 2 hours to 2.5 hours a day 6 days a week. However I really was just going from excersise to excersise throwing weight around with little or no technique.

Now I’m running a four day workout week with abouot 1.5 hours with each workout. My technique is about 10x better than what it was when I previously started and my muscle gains are coming faster than ever.

Quality is key.

I have two workouts one being the main and the other being the injury proof workout. My main workout consists of weights and cardio and I spend about 4.5 hours a week. My injury proof workout consists of exercises that will keep you lifting for the long run such as rotator cuff exercises which I spend about 1 hour a week. The more advanced stages of my lifting in not much more volume from when I started but the intensity is far greater than from when I first started. Heavy, heavy, heavy weights!!!

Interesting, some people lift less as they advance due to improved efficiency/intensity/quality of their lifts.

Others lift more as they advance due to needing higher volume for muscle stimulation and growth.

And some simply take more time in the gym, since they need to recover more compared to when they were younger.

I’ve noticed that I have more capacity to push my muscles harder, so I exercise more frequently than when I first started out. The increased volume also helps with G-flux.

4-4.5 hours/week on the 2-way variant of DC, otherwise varies…
Usually 1 hour and 15 minutes up to one hour and a half per session, depends on what muscles are trained that day…

On a 4-6 way split back in the day that was also approximately 4.5 hours per week…
Around 45 mins per session, though I guess it would take me a bit longer now were I still training that way due to the larger working weights used (= more warm-ups).

probably about 6…G FLUX BABY

Weights - 5 35 minute sessions = ~ 3 hours

Cardio - 5 30 minute sessions = 2.5 hours