How Many Chin-ups? Good Routines?

i do chinups mixed in with curls, pushdowns and rowing on my arm days

for the full range chinups my reps are around 10/9/8/8/7/7/6/6

BW of 215

I can do about 18 at a bodyweight of 227 pounds. It’d be helpful if people listed there weight.

12 with my chest touching the chin bar. If we are speaking of “classic” Chin ups (with your chin just clearing the bar) maybe 15 or 18…

12-8-8-6-6 (6’s for a while) usually quit after 5 sets or so. Starting w/ a vest this week, if you can get 8 reps clean it’s time to start adding weight. Current weight 190lbs.

Anyone here do muscleups? Their like a pullup and dip in one movement. Their supposed to be very helpful in climbing things like walls.

[quote]k8thegr8 wrote:
I can do 22 on my first set when I am fresh, then it usually goes to like 16, 15, 15, 12 with 65 sec rest… worked my way up to this though. 6 months ago I could do zero. Now I am doing them weighted (+ 10 pounds) and hitting the 8-10 range.

I did them on back days only, but trained back every 3rd day. [/quote]

I am also on zero, how did you train up to 22?!?!?!??

Are you doing pulls AND chins?

Yes, I do. If I am doing power cleans I super-set them with muscleups.
Eg
A 6x3 Clean
B 6x3 Muscleup

I love chinning/pulling type exercises.

BW: 224 lbs
Chin-ups: Don’t know.

Pull-ups: 28 (done at about 232lbs of bodyweight)

My best are neutral grip (?) chins (similar grip to a hammer curl bar, palms facing each other less than shoulder width apart). I did 31 once.

I get bored of typical pullups so I use a lot of variation. I do weighted pulls alot. I also try things like left to right pulls, sternum pulls (bloody difficult!) and so on

At a bodyweight of 145 I did 25 chinups once. It was while i was at the dorms and I had a pullupbar in the doorframe. I’d knock out a set of 4-8 whenever i was chilling out waiting for something. This worked out to like 20-40 reps a day for a couple months. I think the high frequency method really works for chinups as long as you dont go to failure on every set.

I tried Muscle ups and I can only get 2 clean reps. My right shoulder tends to get over the bar first and then i do a sorta one sided off balanaced maneuver that cannot be good for anything in my body. I

I when from 5 to 20 chins in 4 months just by doing a set before and after I showered every night. I was stuck there for year and then I started working towards a one arm chin using weighted chins and chins with one arm+ a finger. My best is 7 with 55 extra lbs and one with 105lbs, but I hadn’t done unweighted for a while so when I saw this article I tried and got 26 at 192lbs.

I can do 18 chins, with strict form and going down all the way.

Today: parallel grip 1x10, 1x10, 1x8, 1x7, 1x5, BW @ 199.

20 chins at 6’6 / 260 hoorah marine corps " clap clap clap"

[quote]elano wrote:
Anyone here do muscleups? Their like a pullup and dip in one movement. Their supposed to be very helpful in climbing things like walls.[/quote]

I can get 12-15 pullups bw 184. I am working on getting muscleups. So far I can get the bar to my ribcage so I can’t even perform one yet but that still clears my chin by plenty which is decent.

my current routine includes weighted pull ups, and i’m doing 5 sets, building from 15kg in the first set up to 40kg in the final and fifth set. i weigh about 75kg, so i think this is quite good.

It has been a while since I did chinups with just body weight, but I can do 18-20 with good form.

I’m working on weighted chinups with semi-good form (chin over the bar but not down to complete dead hang). This morning I did 3 sets (10 pullups, 10 parallel, 10 chinups) with 45 pounds around my waist.

[quote]MytchBucanan wrote:
Im not sure about chinups, but pullups with a wide grip I can get 12 (13 on a good day).

But I have been stuck at this rep range for years now.[/quote]

Same here.

[quote]elano wrote:
Anyone here do muscleups? Their like a pullup and dip in one movement. Their supposed to be very helpful in climbing things like walls.[/quote]

I used to do them fairly often (got up to about 8 good form, no kipping and full lockout/turnout at the top, on my rings), but I was about 20-30 lbs less then. I can still do a couple, but they feel “rusty”.

Right now I can do about 20 at a 210 bodyweight. Thse are clean, slow, no bouncing up. My max was a few years ago at 54 and 215 bodyweight-but it was not real clean - I was bouncing alot. My mental state makes a huge difference in endurance exercises like this.

Chinups bodyweight - apx. 20+

Pullups Bodyweight - apx. 15+

I am currently doing mine weighted with between 10-20kg for 6-12 reps…

JJ