T Nation

How Many Carbs?

I've read article after article and still haven't come to a conclusion on approx how many grams of carbs I should be shooting for per day.

I'm 5'8, 150. Obviously nowhere near the muscle mass I need to work towards. That being said, I'd rather not do the whole bulk/cut thing, and instead eat a surplus of clean food, make sure I get lots of protein and enough dietary fat - as well as hydration and proper sleep. The reason I'm hesitant with carbs, is because I have a tendency to build up fat in the midsection. I want to gain lean mass, and I do realize that if I want to do it without increasing bodyfat, it will be a slower process, but I'm alright with that.

Any recommendations on how many carbs I should be shooting for? Also, I found the timing thing a little confusing. Am I correct in thinking that the majority of my carb intake should be consumed either in the morning or post-workout?

Thanks in advance for any help.

You are too small to worry about building up fat around the mid-section.

Just eat.

Just Eat alot, lift heavy and hard, and you won’t have to worry about being fat.

Learn by doing. Pick a number that’s convenient, do it, and measure progress for a month. The next month, add more, measure progress. If you intentionally want to make things complicated, look up Thib’s Carb Cycling Codex (use google- it’ll get you there faster). Otherwise, have a PWO shake of Surge, or Gatorade and whey, or something with simple sugars and protein on your workout days, and not on your non-workout days. Carb-cycling made easy.

And make sure to eat enough to progress.

Being a former fattass myself I have a strong tendency to regain fat around the mid-section too but if you lift hard and have a well balance program you’d be suprised how becoming top heavy ( shoulders/chest/arm) can discuise your stomach fat.

Your body will respond quickly if you are strict in providing an anobolic environment.

I see a lot of guys busting their ass at the gym and although some are stronger than me, they simply are not growing at all.

My advise is to make the most of your newbie gains and enjoy watching your body grow along the way.