How Many Carbs Per Day?

Hey guys!
i know that i have to get at least 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight.
but i don’t know how much grams of carbohydrate I should consume per day.
I am currently taking in about 100 grams or less of carbohydrate perday.

also, can anyone please tell me what are the deficiencies of being in a low carb high protein deit?
much appreciate all the answers!

Kinda subjective.

If you’re not gaining enough muscle, increase your carbs.

If you’re gaining too much fat, cut back.

[quote]Matty_79 wrote:
hey guys!
i know that i have to get at least 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight.[/quote]

Do you know why?

Depends on your calorie goals. You can’t base everything on grams alone.

Why? Are you concerned about fat gain? Are you fat? Are you really trying to gain muscle? Taking in less than 100 a day is doable as long as your overall calorie level is high enough. I seriously doubt though that you are eating enough fat to accomplish that.

How much are you eating per day (calories)?

[quote]also, can anyone please tell me what are the deficiencies of being in a low carb high protein deit?
much appreciate all the answers!
[/quote]

This last one is difficult. Technically there are no deficiencies in a low carb diet as long as you are getting plenty of fruits and veggies. Carbs themselves, outside of fruits and veggies, are not necessary.

Depends on your caloric needs, which then depends on your goals. Most likely you are in a deficit if you are only getting 100g’s of carbs per day unless you are taking in a crap load of fats. Like eengrms76 said there aren’t any downfalls of low carbs as long as you get veggies and fruits.

If you are wanting to lose weight then keep the 100g’s or lower it as needed. If you are trying to gain weight you should have way more, but I don’t know how much you weigh so it’s kind of hard to say how much you need.

i weight 155lbs. 5’7 and i don’t really know what my bodyfat is. I’m that pic on my profile.
So far i have been eating 80 grams of Carbs per day from grain bread.
I haven’t been eating veggies but i do eat lots of bananas.
my buddy told me to stay away from bananas because it’s rated high on the gycemic index. -I’m really not so sure about that… but what other fruit should i be eating to stay lean?

umm… another question…
when i’m counting carbs, do i count the carbs found in fruit also or just leave it out?
and in protien, Do i count the protein from the bread also? cuz i do… i don’t really know if its the wrong/right way to go…

i weight 155lbs. 5’7 and i don’t really know what my bodyfat is. I’m that pic on my profile.
So far i have been eating 80 grams of Carbs per day from grain bread.
I haven’t been eating veggies but i do eat lots of bananas.
my buddy told me to stay away from bananas because it’s rated high on the gycemic index. -I’m really not so sure about that… but what other fruit should i be eating to stay lean?

umm… another question…
when i’m counting carbs, do i count the carbs found in fruit also or just leave it out?
and in protien, Do i count the protein from the bread also? cuz i do… i don’t really know if its the wrong/right way to go…

Bro eat your fruit, grains, veggies etc they are GOOD FOR YOU more then the carbs etc the nutrientsd in them and they are NOT the devil even the banana sure bit higher GI if you must save it for early in the day around w/o’s etc.

Your physique and goals of bulking dont say low carb it screams FOOD!!! a nice balanced diet of whole food including carbohydrates.
just dont go nutty on the junk.

Phill

Oh and for a pic to have us critique and help please try turning on the lights backing up and getting the legs etc

I say stop stressing the carbs so much try a much more balanced diet with the good FOODs bro you have a hell of a starting base from the litte we can see…

Phill

[quote]Phill wrote:
Bro eat your fruit, grains, veggies etc they are GOOD FOR YOU more then the carbs etc the nutrientsd in them and they are NOT the devil even the banana sure bit higher GI if you must save it for early in the day around w/o’s etc.

Your physique and goals of bulking dont say low carb it screams FOOD!!! a nice balanced diet of whole food including carbohydrates.

Phill[/quote]

I couldn’t agree more. Especially the part about it being good for you. Eat your fruits,veggies and dark grains and youll be fine. Man there really is some carb-phobia on these boards.

k guys thanks for the info I really appreciate it.
I have been eating my veggies now. mostly Broccoli.

I’ll put up a new picture soon. as for the legs… I’m afraid to put a pic of my legs because i know i’ll get hammered! lol! i’m working my legs hard just to play catch up with my upper body.

about the protein… should i count the protein found on bread and other food with the meat and dairy that i consume?

You still haven’t said your goals. I would imagine they would be to gain?

[quote]Phill wrote:

Phill[/quote]

Yes. Get your veggies and all types of fruits. Oats and rice are excellent sources of grain carbs.

[quote]HoratioSandoval wrote:
Kinda subjective.

If you’re not gaining enough muscle, increase your carbs.

If you’re gaining too much fat, cut back.[/quote]

Well said. It really is just that simple. However, even if getting fat it’s hard to cut back on carbs they’re just so damn delicious.

as much as i appreciate all the replies. and i do!
I still need some answers about including the protein from other food like bread on my daily count and the carb intake.

my goal is to gain muscle while maintaining my low body fat.
-just low enough to show my abs.

some says just say cut back if you’re getting fat and eat more carbs if your losing muscle… it’s a little confusing.
should i go below 80 grams per day to lose fat or eat more than 100g to gain muscle? there has to be a formula sort of like protein consumption- “eat one Gram per pound of of protein per day”

i need those ratios. not “eat less and eat more”

I really am thankfull for all the replies. but i just need to get those questions answered.

thanks

Well did you notice you gaining fat? or not gaining muscle?
its quite easy, when you start to stress yourself over food and thinking too much instead of doing youl become frustrated and lose the motivation and will to train so relax.

well someone told me that if I wanna grow I should eat 3 gram of carbs per 1 gram of protein. obviously if youl eat like this in each meal(lets say you eat 5-6 meal) youl get fat REALY fast, I’m guessing not sure tho, so how bout just eating by that formula in the PROTEIN+CARB meals? if you want heres an example: in the pre workout meal, 6 hours or 4 hours in the post workout meal, and amm mayb breakfast if you eat carbs in that meal.

And the reason no one can tell you the exact amount is because it really is individual, try reading the “massive eating II” in the “Individual Differences ? Experimentation”
part, might help ya out, hope I didn’t miss lead ya.

[quote]Matty_79 wrote:
I still need some answers about including the protein from other food like bread on my daily count and the carb intake.

some says just say cut back if you’re getting fat and eat more carbs if your losing muscle… it’s a little confusing.
should i go below 80 grams per day to lose fat or eat more than 100g to gain muscle? there has to be a formula sort of like protein consumption- “eat one Gram per pound of of protein per day”

thanks[/quote]

Sorry mate but you’re missing the point of the above replies. Although ‘eat more’ and ‘eat less’ can be irritatingly vague, the posters also point out that there is no one macronutrient combination which fits all people. Some people can handle carbohydrates much better than others, some people should have no carbs except from veggies.

It is your body’s ability to metabolise the nutritional components of food which dictate what your ratio should be, and not some secret formula. Trust me, if there was one, you would’ve gotten your answer.

As such, I can’t really tell you what would work for you. However, I can speak from what my own body responds to. When I want to gain, I don’t want to increase my body fat too much. I never go past the point where my abs are not visible whilst I’m slightly hunched (ie. ab tension). I achieve this gain with the combo -

(40:30:30) P:C:F

In more detail, I will have 1/3 of those carbs in my first meal, another 1/3 in the second meal, and 1/3 in my PWO meal. The fats I will have in all meals which lack non-vegetable carbohydrates, and I confine myself to olive oil, avocado, almonds and the unavoidable fat within meat (although make sure you cut the skin off etc - that’s not good fat).

So, is this an answer to what you need? Of course not. Some people bulk much better with 25:40:35. The whole point I, and most others have been trying to put across to you is that you will not know until you “go eat more and lift”. Then, one way or another, you will find out.

Best of luck,

-Cloth

[quote]Matty_79 wrote:

I really am thankfull for all the replies. but i just need to get those questions answered.

thanks[/quote]

I think you might be over analysing things here.

If you going to count protein then count it all, I’m not sure why you would do any different.

Unfortunately, as everyone is different there isn’t any magical formula which guarantees success for all. I assume that the questions mean that your current diet isn’t working for you so try to increase your calories and see how you respond. In the end, to find what works for you will take trial and error but that means you will actually have to try something and you may make some errors along the way. Don’t be afraid to make mistakes it’s the only way you’ll ever learn.

You also mention that the advice to lose fat and the advice to gain muscle are contradictory and you’re right, that’s why you should do one or the other, my advice would be to concentrate on gaining some muscle for now.

Hope that helps.

Thank you very much guys for all the answers! you guys are better than what i read on the muscle magazines! really!

I’m off to do some “trial and error”

thanks!

if there’s anymore info please let me know.

thank you!

You’re welcome.