How Many Calories to Lose Body Fat

[quote]Joebob wrote:
LiarPantsOnFire wrote:
Have you considered the V-Diet? Coaches and trainers have put a lot of thought into constructing that in order to maximize fat loss while minimizing muscle loss. What makes you think that you can come up with something better?
Dan

Have you done the V-Diet?

Personally, I feel I would lose a lot of LBM following their calorie recommendations and I would go crazy eating nothing but shakes for four weeks.

If this diet is so good, how come it is not popular with professional BBers, athletes, etc. You would think it would be all the rage in all the muscle rags by now. [/quote]

With all of the testimonials we have about the V-diet, I don’t necessarily think it’s necessary for one to have done it to recommend it. For what it’s worth, I have done it, and I don’t think it’s such a bad idea in this situation. It’ll be a okay way for him to add carbs in his diet, and still get leaner.

Aside from me, one of my friends at home is halfway through his V-Diet, my older brother wants to start his in a few weeks, and my PT class professor (who’s a well respected 310lb throwing coach, as well) did the V-Diet and only made it to day 18, but he said he lost 13 lbs in those 18 days and lost very little strength.

Keep in mind that losing weight too fast - well, actually cutting calories too deeply - will whack your testosterone (and immunity). No more than 15% of baseline or your testosterone will go bye bye. At least from the health perspective, it’s better to lose weight gradually.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
Joebob wrote:
LiarPantsOnFire wrote:
Have you considered the V-Diet? Coaches and trainers have put a lot of thought into constructing that in order to maximize fat loss while minimizing muscle loss. What makes you think that you can come up with something better?
Dan

Personally, I feel I would lose a lot of LBM following their calorie recommendations and I would go crazy eating nothing but shakes for four weeks.

If this diet is so good, how come it is not popular with professional BBers, athletes, etc. You would think it would be all the rage in all the muscle rags by now.

With all of the testimonials we have about the V-diet, I don’t necessarily think it’s necessary for one to have done it to recommend it. For what it’s worth, I have done it, and I don’t think it’s such a bad idea in this situation. It’ll be a okay way for him to add carbs in his diet, and still get leaner.

Aside from me, one of my friends at home is halfway through his V-Diet, my older brother wants to start his in a few weeks, and my PT class professor (who’s a well respected 310lb throwing coach, as well) did the V-Diet and only made it to day 18, but he said he lost 13 lbs in those 18 days and lost very little strength.[/quote]

I’m glad this diet has work well for you and your friends.

I do not think it would work so great for ME.

I guess I am blessed with good genetics and a fast metabolism because I can drop fat rather quickly with a slight decrease in calories from maintenance. I would lose a LOT of lbm following the V-Diet.

[quote]Joebob wrote:
I do not think it would work so great for ME.
[/quote]

Uh, it wasn’t recommended for you…

This is what I have decided on (starting today) and I will see how it is workng over the next ten days or so…

Non lifting days: 2000 calories and no direct carb sources
Lifting days: 2250 calories and 55carbs (apple and serving of oatmeal) PWO

I will have one carb refeed day every 7 days.

[quote]Joebob wrote:
LiarPantsOnFire wrote:
Dan

If this diet is so good, how come it is not popular with professional BBers, athletes, etc. You would think it would be all the rage in all the muscle rags by now. [/quote]

Yes, I have done the V-Diet.

And it IS becoming increasingly popular (not that popularity is a good indicator of effectiveness).

dan

only 3x? get off the average wagon.