How Many Calories is Normal?

My lean body mass is 160-165lb (can’t be too accurate with calipers etc.), and I eat 4100-4200 calories per day. How does that compare with you guys? Do you think many natural trainees under 200lb would be at 5000+ calories? I often feel like I could/should eat more, but if I’m gaining fat already, what’d be the point?

[quote]wsk wrote:
My lean body mass is 160-165lb (can’t be too accurate with calipers etc.), and I eat 4100-4200 calories per day. How does that compare with you guys? Do you think many natural trainees under 200lb would be at 5000+ calories? I often feel like I could/should eat more, but if I’m gaining fat already, what’d be the point?[/quote]

I probably eat 4000 calories a day and im 260+

Slow metabalisms own!

I have no idea what the average person eats.

Nobody here is eating to be average so why worry about what the average person eats?

Eat enough food to keep growing but not so much that you put on unacceptable levels of fat.

Eat more than you think you should, keep a food log, and look in the mirror to see if you are growing or not.

I’m not interested in what’s average. I’m just wondering whether 26xLBM or so is a decent amount. My exercise poundages are increasing and that’s all I care about, so that’s fine, but I thought perhaps even more food (despite the fact that I’m already gaining a little fat) might be beneficial?

im about 155. and ive been eating like 2000-2300 or so for a while. No wonder i never lost fat. I figure maintenence for 155 is somewhere around 3k.

I’m 200 lbs even and I think my maintenance number is around 3500 cals per day. 4000 or a little seems reasonable to me at my weight to start making ‘clean’ gains, but I think that going up to 5000 a day would lead to a lot more fat than anything else. That’s just my body, though; the only way to know about your body is to take some pics, try it for a month or whatever, and take some more pics.

The most important factor here is how old are you? The answer to how much you should eat will change dramatically between 16 & 26, and between 26 & 46.

Also, what kind of job do you have? If you are still in school what kind of sports do you play? A kid who weight trains and runs cross-country will need a hell of a lot more calories than one who weight trains and plays XBox.

But if you have noticeable fat gain, cut back a bit. Drop 300 calories a day, be consistent, and see how you measure up a month from now.