T Nation

How Many Calories for Bulking?

Hey, i been training 6 month and want to know how many calories i should eat to bulk and get big.

I usually just eat what i want people say im ectomorph.

Im 5,9 - 6,0 and im 16 nearly 17 148lbs.

Thanks

You gave us no info on your training/activity level so that’s almost impossible. Assuming your activity is as lazy as you effort in proper English, I’d say start at 3000 kcals and then assess your weight after 2 weeks. If you haven’t made progress up that by 500 kcals. Please read a book and educate yourself, you sound like a fucking idiot.

the above posters method works well, but if you just plain want to be sure, hit the 4000 calorie mark of clean food.

make sure to train hard so some part of your body is always sore/recovering and i say fat gain will be minimal

[quote]BlakedaMan wrote:
Please read a book and educate yourself, you sound like a fucking idiot.[/quote]

LMAO, now that’s just not nice :smiley:

I hope you’re flexing, if not you might want to correct your posture first and foremost.

With that said, do you currently keep a food log?

[quote]schultzie wrote:
the above posters method works well, but if you just plain want to be sure, hit the 4000 calorie mark of clean food.

make sure to train hard so some part of your body is always sore/recovering and i say fat gain will be minimal[/quote]

You don’t always have to be sore…

How tall are you? You said 5’9 to 6’0. That is a big difference. Regardless, at your weight I think I was taking in about 4,000 before I started to gain noticable size. Keep in mind that the bigger you get and the more muscle you gain your base metabolic rate is going to increase. So eventually you are going to have to consume even more calories just to maintain your body weight. I now weigh 240 and have to eat 5600 calories a day to maintain my weight. If I am bulking I will eat app. 6500 calories/day.

Here’s a rundown from my software I developed based on the Jekyll-Hyde book. Even if you break your meals down differently, it gives you a good idea what to take in.

Oh yea, I estimated you at 15% BF and put 5-10 because you said you’re between 5-9 and 6-0.
8)

[quote]sumgai wrote:
Here’s a rundown from my software I developed based on the Jekyll-Hyde book. Even if you break your meals down differently, it gives you a good idea what to take in.

Oh yea, I estimated you at 15% BF and put 5-10 because you said you’re between 5-9 and 6-0.
8)[/quote]

How much for the software???

I haven’t released it yet but it will sell for $39.99 when it does. It will include a V-Diet calculator as well…among other programs.

Are you gonna get that going through Biotest?

Typically, I’d say to take 500-800 calories above you’re maintenance level.

At your age eat whatever you can get your hands on and lift heavy weights. lol you should be growing doing this. My brother is your age and about the same weight. leaner tho and he is just eating massive and pushing himself in the weight room. He started this year in the low 130’s. I’m only twenty and still doing this to bulk. Of course you will want to learn the differences between protein, carbs, and fats. Then find out what foods contain which.

When you learn this you can break your diet down to what % of each you will be consuming and for how many calories a day of each you will need. As others have stated 4000 calories is a good start. If you would post your workout regimen and a sample daily diet we can probably be of better help…

take a look at Berardi’s massive eating. it gives you a very good idea of what to be eating. After I came across it, I gained 22 lbs in 7 months staying under 10% bf. I was in a similar situation (5’9" 140 lbs)