T Nation

How Low for Calories on Keto Diet?

…for the following 6-10 weeks/or as long it takes to be in acceptable condition bf%/mirror -wise?

What I am (=a skinnyfat) and what I am not (=a bodybuilder).

Numbers below are given by my scale.

When I started my ketodiet 8 days ago:
-Body mass 82.2kg
-Fat 23.7%, 19.48kg
-Muscle 61.8%, 50.80kg

Right now:
-Body mass 80kg
-Fat 22.3%, 17.84kg
-Muscle 62.9%, 50.32kg

What I am asking of you: how high a caloric deficit below BMR can I use for max fat burn? Preserving the small amount of muscle I have can be thought as a bonus, but it is not mandatory – primary goal is fat loss.

A small visual presentation:

0…IDEAL INTAKE…BMR

So, is there anyway for me to approximately calculate how high a caloric deficit I should use?

Ask if you need relevant info.

EDIT: Came across the following: “You get the idea and this is not difficult math. Multiply your total fat mass in pounds by 31, thatâ??s how much of a caloric deficit that fat mass can support on a daily basis.” Might it be right?

A Ketogenic diet doesn’t have anything to do with total calories, just total carbohydrates.

Try the “Carb Nite Solution” for a way to manipulate carb intake without the usual pitfalls of Keto Diets.

http://carbnite.com/ns-thesolution.php


WORD OF WARNING: you need to pump the breaks on this plan of yours that involves weight loss at all cost. The minute you go back to a normal diet you will gain all your fat back and then some. For your sake I hope your a troll.

[quote]JLone wrote:
A Ketogenic diet doesn’t have anything to do with total calories, just total carbohydrates.[/quote]This is not what I asked.

[quote]The minute you go back to a normal diet you will gain all your fat back and then some.[/quote]Why so?

[quote]pheivz wrote:

[quote]JLone wrote:
A Ketogenic diet doesn’t have anything to do with total calories, just total carbohydrates.[/quote]This is not what I asked.[/quote]
If you don’t like the answers I provided please submit the refund form and allow 90 days for processing.

Why do you think?

I will grade on a curve.

[quote]JLone wrote:

[quote]pheivz wrote:

[quote]JLone wrote:
A Ketogenic diet doesn’t have anything to do with total calories, just total carbohydrates.[/quote]This is not what I asked.[/quote]
If you don’t like the answers I provided please submit the refund form and allow 90 days for processing.

Why do you think?

I will grade on a curve.

[/quote]You amuse me.

Calories are individual… how many cals are you eating now… do you even work out… you gave no useable info.

And those numbers are probably way off. What did you use one of those hand held ones?

[quote]MAF14 wrote:
Calories are individual… how many cals are you eating now… do you even work out… you gave no useable info.[/quote]I eat about 1500kcal daily. I don’t work out.

[quote]And those numbers are probably way off. What did you use one of those hand held ones?[/quote]I use a bioelectrical impedance scale, I just stand on it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bioelectrical_impedance_analysis

Bonus question: As 58% of protein consumed turns into glucose on keto (as long as the brain still needs glucose – I don’t know at what amount it stops), isn’t it false that on keto “you can eat as much protein as you want” or am I wrong on this one? If I am, someone please tell me why protein can be consumed in large amounts (with fat ofc)? Is it because at certain mass amount (when the brain has enough) it stops turning into glucose thus all left over protein will be used as such, and because of that it won’t fuck up insulin?

Those scales suck. Working out will only make things easier and faster. I can’t imgine why you wouldnt. Once you stop the keto diet and go back to your normal eating pattern chances are you’ll just gain the weight back… Unless you were planning on staying at 1500 calories and/or became much more physically active.

On a Keto diet you should be getting at least 50% cals from fat. That’s just how it works best. SOME protein will be converted to glucose but IDK about “58%”. The brain can use ketones as an energy source too.