T Nation

How Long to Use Rippetoe's Program?

First time posting, so if possible please go easy. I’m posting to get a general feel for how far i should take this program. I know it’s recommended that the program be taken “as far as you can”, but I’m curious to know based on experience if those who have done this program peeled off early before reaching the recommended stopping point, and why. In addition, those who stuck to this program was that extra time a benefit or rather something you wish you had jumped off from earlier?
Also, what kinds of numbers are common benchmarks with starting strength?

I started this program 3 months ago,and am curious to know how much farther others have gotten with this program(yes i know everyone’s different).

I started with
back squat: 85
bench press: 100
deadlift: 135
Military press: 70
Power cleans: 80

To date i am at
bsq: 265
Bpress: 200
DL: 305
Mpress: 140
Pcleans: 160

Again, I’m a complete beginner, so please go easy. I just wonder if the time to move on is close, or if I’m so far off its not funny.

If you have read the FAQ, he says move on once you have ‘reset’ 3 times and your numbers are still not improving.

Don’t know what resetting is? Read the FAQ.

[quote]gregor_mud wrote:
First time posting, so if possible please go easy. I’m posting to get a general feel for how far i should take this program. I know it’s recommended that the program be taken “as far as you can”, but I’m curious to know based on experience if those who have done this program peeled off early before reaching the recommended stopping point, and why. In addition, those who stuck to this program was that extra time a benefit or rather something you wish you had jumped off from earlier?
Also, what kinds of numbers are common benchmarks with starting strength?

I started this program 3 months ago,and am curious to know how much farther others have gotten with this program(yes i know everyone’s different).

I started with
back squat: 85
bench press: 100
deadlift: 135
Military press: 70
Power cleans: 80

To date i am at
bsq: 265
Bpress: 200
DL: 305
Mpress: 140
Pcleans: 160

Again, I’m a complete beginner, so please go easy. I just wonder if the time to move on is close, or if I’m so far off its not funny.
[/quote]

Excellent progress! Milk this program for all it’s worth, and when you are done with this (assuming your main goal is strength) move on to the Texas Method: http://stronglifts.com/the-texas-method-strength-training-for-intermediate-lifters/. One alteration I would make to the Texas Method is to go for a 5 rep max instead of a 1, 2, or 3 rep max. Rippetoe outlines this program better in his Practical Programming book. Although there is a book on The Texas Method available on amazon.com.

[quote]forevernade wrote:
If you have read the FAQ, he says move on once you have ‘reset’ 3 times and your numbers are still not improving.

Don’t know what resetting is? Read the FAQ.[/quote]

I guess my point of the post was to find out how others have used this program. I’m aware of what rippetoe says in terms of the resets, but i want to know if that is what other’s have actually done with this program, or if most other people simply “move on” before.

I also want to know what sorts of numbers a beginner can expect on average (i know everyone is different).

Thanks for the feedback thus far and the support.