How Long to Use Best Damn Plan?

Hi I was wondering how long is optimal to stay on “the best damn workout” plan? Thanks :smile:

Thorn

That depends on the person. You don’t NEED to change a program provide that you keep making progress. For example Dorian Yates stuck to the same program for his 5 years of winning the Mr.Olympia.

Another example is the training of Bulgarian olympic lifters (and all the countries that now have Bulgarian coaches) where they basically only do snatch, clean & jerk and front/back squat day in and day out.

And in the strength world we can look at the training of Doug Hepburn, one of my biggest influences. His program was very simple… using the same big lifts year round you would do 8 sets of 2-3 reps, adding 1 total rep to each workout (for example 2 x 3, 6 x 2 on the first workout, 3 x 3, 5 x 2 on the second, 4 x 3, 4 x 2 on the third, etc. You only added weight when you reached 8 x 3).

Or look at 5/3/1 by Wendler, the original program is done for months or even years!

I think frequent program changes (every 3-6 weeks) is required mostly for…

1. Marketing purposes from coaches who want to sell you more programs
  2. When using a very high stress blitz approach with which you are drained after 3-4 weeks
  3. With individuals who need a lot of variation (neurotypes 2A and 1B)

So you should change program when…

1. You are no longer motivated by the program
  2. You are starting to feel drained, tired and aches and pains are popping up
  3. Your goals are changing

BTW there is a Best Damn part 2 The Best Damn Workout Plan for Natural Lifters, Part 2

1 Like