T Nation

How Long To See If Alpha Male Is Working?

i just got my Alpha Male this last thursday, and by god im excited! i took 2 that night, 2 friday morning and 2 friday night. starting monday, im going to start taking 3 a day, mon-friday, as well as my Carbolin 19, M, and ZMA. how long do you think it will take before i start noticing the Alpha Male to kick in? or really any of these supps? thanx fellas.

[quote]skimmy_jimmy wrote:
i just got my Alpha Male this last thursday, and by god im excited! i took 2 that night, 2 friday morning and 2 friday night. starting monday, im going to start taking 3 a day, mon-friday, as well as my Carbolin 19, M, and ZMA. how long do you think it will take before i start noticing the Alpha Male to kick in? or really any of these supps? thanx fellas.[/quote]

What are you expecting to see from all of those supplements?

Can’t speak for the other stuff, but I noticed some serious differences in recovery and agression after about 2 wks. of Alpha Male, followed by a 5lb. weight gain and a good increase in wieghts moved in the next 2 wks.
Gotta get some more of that stuff.

awesome. im wantin to gain about 20-30 more lbs, im at 200 right now, then once i do that, switch to HOT-ROX and get shredded.

awesome. im wantin to gain about 20-30 more lbs, im at 200 right now, then once i do that, switch to HOT-ROX and get shredded.[/quote]

I think you are relying way too much on supplements to reach your goal. What were your gains before you started taking them? None of the stuff you listed is going to put 20-30lbs of muscle on you.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
skimmy_jimmy wrote:
awesome. im wantin to gain about 20-30 more lbs, im at 200 right now, then once i do that, switch to HOT-ROX and get shredded.

I think you are relying way too much on supplements to reach your goal. What were your gains before you started taking them? None of the stuff you listed is going to put 20-30lbs of muscle on you. [/quote]

Take heed of this advice. You mention nothing about your workout or nutrition. Nothing about your lifestyle. Nothing about your motives.

if you are relying on supps to gain 30 lbs., then shred it off, you are mistaken/misguided.

What about the time frame you would like to accomplish this? How experienced are you in lifting and dieting? I wish you well, but–along with the Prof.–would like to be a small voice of reason for you. This is quite a lofty goal and should be planned out to some degree. While supps can help/speed up the process, they are not, in and of themselves, a means to an end

Let’s discuss your plan

[quote]sasquatch wrote:
Professor X wrote:
skimmy_jimmy wrote:

I think you are relying way too much on supplements to reach your goal. What were your gains before you started taking them? None of the stuff you listed is going to put 20-30lbs of muscle on you.

Take heed of this advice. You mention nothing about your workout or nutrition. Nothing about your lifestyle. Nothing about your motives.

if you are relying on supps to gain 30 lbs., then shred it off, you are mistaken/misguided.

What about the time frame you would like to accomplish this? How experienced are you in lifting and dieting? I wish you well, but–along with the Prof.–would like to be a small voice of reason for you. This is quite a lofty goal and should be planned out to some degree. While supps can help/speed up the process, they are not, in and of themselves, a means to an end

Let’s discuss your plan[/quote]

Damn You Sasquatch,

Where were you when I needed help on my plans. Why didnt you ever reply to my pleads? LOL jk…

Skimmy Jimmy, sasquatch has very good points. Supplements arent the only thing to rely on. You have to have a good nutrition plan and self descipline. I learned the hard way and Im in the process in fixing that. Thanks to T-Nation!!! Ho-Raa

Why are you taking M with Alpha Male? Alpha Male contains M and it is recommended not to take additional M with the Alpha Male. This is discussed in the M thread and Alpha Male thread.

oh nah im not relying on those that much, its just i kinda quit seein gains quite a while ago, so im just tryin these to see if i can see any more gains. and im not relyin on these to put on that much weight. i workout 3 days a week, i have a solid diet, i make sure i get in about 3500-4000 calories a day, about 200-300 grams of protein a day. like i said i wasnt relying on these to do the work for me, i have been bustin my ass for a long time, i would just like to see more gains since mine have kinda slowed lately. i would just like to see how these will help me out. sorry if i made it sound like that.

oh nah im not relying on those that much, its just i kinda quit seein gains quite a while ago, so im just tryin these to see if i can see any more gains. and im not relyin on these to put on that much weight. i workout 3 days a week, i have a solid diet, i make sure i get in about 3500-4000 calories a day, about 200-300 grams of protein a day. like i said i wasnt relying on these to do the work for me, i have been bustin my ass for a long time, i would just like to see more gains since mine have kinda slowed lately. i would just like to see how these will help me out. sorry if i made it sound like that.[/quote]

It’s ok to add supplements to your regimen. But if your gains have stopped and you want to gain more, you should also up the calories. Make sure your training is in line as well.

Generally speaking, I think when you reach a plateau in your progress supplements are the last thing you need to consider. In my experience, plateaus are generally the result of improper, ineffecient, or stale training, or bad nutritional practices.

It’s very easy to slip, slowly, into, if not “bad” then ineffecient, nutrition practices. I know, I’ve just dropped 60 Lbs. of muscle obscuring fat in the last 10 months or so. I gained this over a couple year layoff from training. Slowly, my eating habits just got sloppy–very sloppy!

Now, I’m not saying your nutritional practices have degenerated to anywhere near the point mine had, but I still believe that anything you’ve been doing a while you should periodically re-examine. It very possible, for example, that what once worked for you is no longer sufficient preciesly because of the progress you’ve made.

I know that my increased knowledge of training program design (thanks T-Nation!) has made a HUGE difference in my progress. It’s very easy to fall into a rut with your training. Maybe your training program needs some variety. In that case, you’ve got a gold mine at T-Nation.

I’ve found that supplements tend to work better, and produce more decernable results, when your training and nutrition are spot on. In other words, I think supplements excellerate the results from a training and nutrition program that would be producing results were it used on its own. I believe that supplements are less effective in making up for deficiencies in training and nutrition.

So, I would make sure that you’ve really examined your training and nutrition. If you think everthing IS spot on, feel free to add supplements (based on your goals).

However, it might be best to use one supplement at a time; this way you’ll have a better idea of what worked for you and what didn’t. Also you need to be realistic in your expectations. No supplement is going to cause you to gain 30 Lbs. of LBM–at least not unless you use it for a very long time.

Hope all that rambling made some sense.

Crowbar

Well, If you use the caloric intake calculator, I think you might find that you need way more than 3000-4000 calories a day. Also, 1000 calorie range is pretty big, you might need to get a better grip on your diet. I way 165 or so with 10-12% body fat, and I need around 4200 cal to gain. I’m betting diet is the culprit once again.

ha yea man i got ya, thanx for the info. im gonna kinda switch up some of my exercises and see how that goes, but i think im still gonna go ahead and give these supps a try!

Think of supplements as the “final” 3% of your training. You need to have a good training system(easy to do) and if your goal is to gain weight…eat huge(not quite as easy)… Then when all of that is in play, you add supplements to get you that extra TINY TINY TINY little push.

yea man i definitely found that reachin my goals of eating everyday is the hardest damn part.

I’m in my second week of using AM and I felt it literally the first day. I’m not really looking for it to help me move any more weight…if it does, great, but I’m not getting my hopes up. You’re wasting your money if you think you’re going to derive some huge gains from it. My hope is that it helps my recovery times, which it seems to be doing. It has definitely added a little more “giddy-up” in my step though. My first 3 caps in the morning on an empty stomach gets me pretty damned hyped up…but I LIKE IT!!!

Skimmy__Jimmy,

Take 6 Alpha Male/day, along with your other supps, eat like a goddamn pregnant elephant, train like somebody stuck 3000 mg of caffeine up your ass: watch the magic happen. Mostly, don’t listen to nay-sayers.

Once, at a TKD tournament, my teammates were talking about what a badass another competitor was. I didn’t have a chance, they said. Knocked the guy out in 4 seconds!
Fuck the naysayers (can you tell I’m on 6 Alpha Male/day too?)!

ha yea man i got ya, thanx for the info. im gonna kinda switch up some of my exercises and see how that goes, but i think im still gonna go ahead and give these supps a try![/quote]

How old, I mean young are you?

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
Skimmy__Jimmy,

Take 6 Alpha Male/day, along with your other supps, eat like a goddamn pregnant elephant, train like somebody stuck 3000 mg of caffeine up your ass: watch the magic happen. Mostly, don’t listen to nay-sayers.

Once, at a TKD tournament, my teammates were talking about what a badass another competitor was. I didn’t have a chance, they said. Knocked the guy out in 4 seconds!
Fuck the naysayers (can you tell I’m on 6 Alpha Male/day too?)![/quote]

hahaha niiiiice
im 19 years young, and i know some of you are gonna say shit dude youre too young, but ive had really bad depression problems for many years, and my doc and i think thats why my t-levels have been a bit low lately. he told me to try it for a couple months so what the hell, just 50 bucks right haha…

Headhunter wrote:
Skimmy__Jimmy,

Fuck the naysayers (can you tell I’m on 6 Alpha Male/day too?)!

hahaha niiiiice
im 19 years young, and i know some of you are gonna say shit dude youre too young, but ive had really bad depression problems for many years, and my doc and i think thats why my t-levels have been a bit low lately. he told me to try it for a couple months so what the hell, just 50 bucks right haha…
[/quote]

Interesting. My doc would subscribe an anti depressant. I assume you tried those? I wonder how much T is a factor in depression? Any thoughts?