T Nation

How Long to Recover from 80-95% of 1RM?

So right now im doing powerlifting and want to get my bench to 225 lbs before freshman year starts current is 200lbs and doing “add 50lbs to your bench” only expecting 25lbs tbh anyway how long should I recover from 80-95% of training for bench here is weight and etc
Weight 210
I just wanna make sure I dont mess anything up as I need to go on a 3 month cut im fat asf.

You are right where i was beginning of freshman year bench 170 end 255 bdyw 135 to 185 . At your age you can recover faster then a guy on a lot of stuff i benched 5 times a week i made great progress on singles multiple times a week at 80-95% for 5 sets of one or two explosive reps, do a lot of rows and squats.

Since you do a specific program each time you get in to press you should be recovered(or almost) from the previous session

If not,either the program is crap or you are not ready for it

There is a huge difference between 80% and 95%, so recovery from one will be shorter than from the other. It’s also going to be dependent on what other work you do.

Is this for football or another sport or a personal goal you came up with?

I guess it’s just that I’m left wondering if this is right question.

Just a personal goal I tried football just wasent my thing and every body was so cocky lmfao im more calm and like to lift

im more with markko on this, which are you really wondering? 80-95% is a massive range. Think in terms of numbers, a 500 lb deadlift to start…that range is the difference between pulling 400 or 475 and as maxes go up, so does the gap. 80% shouldn’t be that big of a deal i mean it depends on how well trained your cns is but i could pull 80% daily with little problem depending on the volume. 95% will take longer because thats fairly close to your max. All that said, the real answer is, how long does it take to feel you recovered? Squats, bench, and overhead press…if you feel recovered then you probably are since those dont tax the cns as much as say a deadlift. The deadlift however will vary because you can have refreshed muscles, no light joint pains from weight and still have a fatigued cns but even then, it amounts to how do you feel? I use grip strength to gauge cns level since the forearms are quite tied to it so on a day you know youre refreshed put 135 on the bar, pick it up and hold it. However long you hold it is baseline and retest every couple months to account for strength increase. If you start off deadlifts and your grip seems weak, your cns probably needs another day.

I would give it at least 3 days between bench workouts. I bench heavy Wednesdays and have a light / assistance day on Sunday

Sorry for confusion I do exactly 90% which is 180 for me and did it today for 3,2,2 which is progress from 3,2,1 I dont think I burn my cns often and I have 3 days between bench and on second bench day I have four.
Also I dont do as many accessorizes as I have home gym with barbell with power rack with weight and a bench I have a dumbell but found anything I do with dumbells stalls my progress .

Also I have only burnt my cns once due to much intensity combined with accessories but have not burned my cns other than that as I stick to 1 90% Bench Day for 3x3 and progress well as I just got 180 for 3,2,2 from 3,2,1 last and I have one more bench day with 65-70% doing 4x8

At your age and level, I would personally just go with some simple linear periodization using 80% of your max.

Build a base in both muscle and technique before you start going into 90+ percentages.

Go with a simple 5x5 scheme. When you can 5 sets of 5 reps bump the weight up 5lbs then rinse and repeat. If you want to gauge your progress, it probably wouldn’t hurt to go for a hard triple once a month. Leave a rep or two in the tank at this time in your training for that hard triple. Don’t push any sets to total failure. That is, never miss a rep. If you have to leave 1-2 reps in the tank to insure that, that’s okay.

If that sounds like it’ll bore you to tears, then have a day where you do like above, then a day where you do the same thing but 5x3 with 85%, and 5x2 at 90%. If you can’t do it, just keep working at it till you can.

When you stall, take a break for a week using 50% of your estimated max.

When that no longer works, then after the break take 90% of your estimated max and use that as your training max that you come up with your working weights.

When that doesn’t work, go with weekly progress, then monthly, then find a real program.

Simple is all that you need right now and you’ll set yourself up for the most long term gains and fastest beginner gains by milking simple for all it’s worth.

When you’re more proficient with the lift, ramping up to a set to near failure will make more sense. For this conversation I’d call near failure a lift you can’t do for any more reps, but can do just a little more weight.

I can tell you one thing, if all you do is train upper body losing fat may very well be a hellacious venture. Chicks dig nice legs and a butt too fyi. Yeah, they look. Yeah, they can tell. :slight_smile:

I honestly doubt 14 yo me would listen to what I’m saying now haha, but I think if you do you’ll be in a much better place than I was.

Thanks I think ill take your advice and I do work legs 2x a week with deads 2x and bench 2x
so to be clear you said basically do for bench 5x5 for one day and then 5x3 with 85% and 5x2 at 90% if I got it wrong please simplify it a bit more

The only thing your post mentioned was bench so I thought you were specializing on it.

Now that you mention that, try a beginner’s program like starting strength. Buy the book. Even if you don’t do Mark Ripptoe’s program, you can learn a lot about how to program and lifting form.

The exact numbers aren’t what’s so important. What’s important is that you build a base using simple, basic, linear periodization.

If you do deads 2x a week and squatting 2x a week, it might be necessary to go easier on the deads on one of those days. Or sub in stiff legged DLs or bb rows. Or maybe it won’t be necessary. And since you bench 2x a week, I’d just go with 5x5 only. At least until progress goes to weekly. If you add weight slowly, I bet you’ll make progress from one training session to the next. Even if it’s 1 rep or 5lbs. Keep a good log.

I know that sounds slow, but realistically it’s really fast. If you’re exactly 14 now and you added 5lbs a month to your bench, you’d be benching 440lbs by the time your 18. That doesn’t happen for most people, but all you can do is plug away and put in the work in and out of the gym (eating, sleeping, mobility).

If you do things smart and only add a little bit of weight each time it’s time to progress and never do things you can’t do with decent form, you’ll make some fast gains over 1-2 years and set yourself up well with health joints and a decent base of muscle, strength, and technique.

Do something for general physical preparedness. This could be sprints (shuttle runs, bleachers, hill sprints, track sprints, etc), carrying stuff in various ways, sled work, bodyweight circuits, whatever. You need to build work capacity to survive the stuff you do in the gym. Work into it gradually. Jim Wendler has some great stuff on how to do this.

This is really a question only you can answer. Everyone is going to have a different recovery curve for different movements - from a day to two weeks.

Here’s something that I found worked very well for me when I started PL training:

Squat day

1. Squats working up to 1x95%
  2. Snatch grip DL 10x1 (sets x reps), weight was around 60% of my max DL. Deficit DL would work just as well.

DL day

1. DL working up to 1x95%
  2. Front squat paused in the hole for two seconds 10x1 or 5x2, weight was about 60% of my max squat.

Did that for 12 weeks, every second week on back to back days. Squat went from 330 lbs or so to 396 lbs , DL from 400 lbs or so to 473 lbs. I wish I’d done something similar for my bench press, because I’m convinced I’d have been close to 250 lbs by the end instead of struggling with 220.