How Long to Lose Mobility?

I know the question “how long will it take to lose strength” comes up, especially among beginngers. However, I’m curious as to how long it takes to lose significant mobility. For example I am currently following mobilitywod and told myself that I would do 1 wod a day. However life gets in the way and sometimes I find myself going a week without doing a wod. I am training and doing foam rolling etc, but how long does it take to lose mobility?

[quote]bulkNcut wrote:
I know the question “how long will it take to lose strength” comes up, especially among beginngers. However, I’m curious as to how long it takes to lose significant mobility. For example I am currently following mobilitywod and told myself that I would do 1 wod a day. However life gets in the way and sometimes I find myself going a week without doing a wod. I am training and doing foam rolling etc, but how long does it take to lose mobility? [/quote]

BulkNcut,

It depends on the cause behind the lack mobility. Just to give you a quick insight:-

From a standing position try to touch your toes then do a seated toe touch test. For example if you can touch your toes when seated, but not standing this would suggest a stability problem - your hamstrings would be stabilizing your pelvis in a standing position, due to a lack of stability higher up. Now if you can’t touch your toes in standing or seated tests then to me this would suggest a mobility problem (could also be chronic stiff depending how long you have been like this).

If your tests are consistent = mobility
inconsistent = stability

If you provide me with some more details I may be able to help you more (e.g. give you some simple tests to establish if you have mobility or stability issues)

Well this may not be exactly what you were looking for but you seem to have a fresh take on things so ill ask this question. I strained my lower back 10 weeks ago. I tried working through it, then rested, went to PT, went to a chiro, foam folled/stretched throughout the entire time , and now it feels better but my erector is still tight.

Initially it was caused by a lack of hamstring mobility. I couldn’t even come close to touching my toes, standing or not. Now my hamstrings are pretty flexible but this tightness in my erector won’t go away. Ive honestly tried everything and the only relief is from liniment.

I started dead lifting again (super light) and I’m gonna start progressing all my lifts (again super light and slow) but the toghtness just won’t really let up. Any input?

[quote]bulkNcut wrote:
Well this may not be exactly what you were looking for but you seem to have a fresh take on things so ill ask this question. I strained my lower back 10 weeks ago. I tried working through it, then rested, went to PT, went to a chiro, foam folled/stretched throughout the entire time , and now it feels better but my erector is still tight.

Initially it was caused by a lack of hamstring mobility. I couldn’t even come close to touching my toes, standing or not. Now my hamstrings are pretty flexible but this tightness in my erector won’t go away. Ive honestly tried everything and the only relief is from liniment.

I started dead lifting again (super light) and I’m gonna start progressing all my lifts (again super light and slow) but the toghtness just won’t really let up. Any input? [/quote]

Firstly, I’m not a physio so diagnosis is out of my skill set, but lets try and break things down a little. Assuming the chiro done their job the spine is in alignment, no issues with one or more vertebrae. The tight erector is a lumbar? If so when a lumbar is to tight this will create lordosis. To me it seem’s you have developed a slightly poorer posture then pre-injury.

–Work on some thoracic mobility/pelvic stability along side your light work gym work.

See how this goes, if you don’t have any improvement you need to find a good physio. It’s impossible for me to go into greater detail over the internet.

By the way did you try the hamstring test?? If so what result did you get??

Thanks.