T Nation

How Long to Learn the O-Lifts?

I’m interested in doing olympic lifts, but just want to know how long would it take for me to learn them. Reason I’m asking is because a weightlifting team competes at our gym and those guys work on their form with light weights practically everyday, would I have work heavily on form with light weights for upwards 6-8 months before going heavy?? also if I were to begin to learn them, should I do them at the end of my regular workout, or on off days??

Why don’t you talk to one of the people on the team or one of the coaches?

I don’t think it’ll take you 6-8 months though, if that’s what you’re especially concerned about. Just find someone that can coach you and take you through the form.

If I was adding them in and going light, I’d do them before your workout, so your muscles aren’t fatigued. It’ll make good form easier.

start front squatting ass to grass, to the point where you’re thighs and calves are fully up against eahc otehr with no more possibly way to get down lower. Start conditionng your shoulders with swings and presses. practice the movements with light weight twice a week. If you’ve been lifting for a while already you could have the form down for the clean and jerk in a few sessions, the snatch might take longer.

Zep is right. Start doing the partial movements. There is a really good article on how to train for snatching on here. http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1798268

You need to nail form first. Practice with a broomstick. It’ll take you a while, but they are so much fun, you love it when you can do even a little weight- so it’s instantly rewarding.

[quote]Lucid_3ntr0py wrote:
Zep is right. Start doing the partial movements. There is a really good article on how to train for snatching on here. http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1798268

You need to nail form first. Practice with a broomstick. It’ll take you a while, but they are so much fun, you love it when you can do even a little weight- so it’s instantly rewarding.[/quote]

also work on your flexibility of dropping down into a full squat, that’s probably the most important part.