T Nation

How Long to Hit a 315 Squat?

Hi, I’ve been lifting seriously now for atleast 9 months and my squat doesn’t seem to be going anywhere close to 3 plates. So far I max out somewhere between 245-260 at a bodyweight of 200-202 at 5’11(I bulked up 15 lbs since I started training again) is it a realistic goal to achieve by the end of the year?

very possible IMO. if supposing you eat right and get enough sleep(for me thats 10+ hours, not 8) and dont overtrain or … undertrain then its possible.

also dont stop during the summer. there are 7 months starting … 4 days ago till the end of the year. personally im a bit higher on the numbers but i want to get a 315 in a month or two, so i think its possible

Yes. It is very possible. As long as you’re try to lift heavy weights and trying to push your max up every week, you’ll get there. If everything goes well as far as training and diet and all that, you could do it by the end of the summer.

if you can, post pics or a vid of your squatting, i have known many folks who hit plateaus because of poor form and muscle recruitment,…one thing we teach in powerlifting, which you will find is true in all cases, is that proper technique can add between 8-12% onto a lift…i was squatting 315 for 3’s with bad form, then i actually learned how to squat, and i was hitting 375 for 3’s…just an idea

[quote]LSUPOWERDC wrote:
if you can, post pics or a vid of your squatting, i have known many folks who hit plateaus because of poor form and muscle recruitment,…one thing we teach in powerlifting, which you will find is true in all cases, is that proper technique can add between 8-12% onto a lift…i was squatting 315 for 3’s with bad form, then i actually learned how to squat, and i was hitting 375 for 3’s…just an idea[/quote]

Couldn’t have said it better.

Squat is a very technical lift. Improving technique will drastically improve your numbers. Especially since your still new to training.

Post your leg day

I’ve hit plateaus in the past because my legwork was quad dominant

Adding box squats and front squats helped me get through to the next level!

I did a 315 squat at a lifting competition after close to a year of lifting at 200 lbs 6 foot 1.