T Nation

How Long to Get Ripped?

Im curious to know how long it takes to get ripped / six pack / everything that comes with the benefits of being buff? If I bench / and do all workouts 3x a week and run 2x a week. Is that going to get me anywhere at all? or no? I’m curious to know if i should add stuff to my workout or not.

Heres my Schedule:
Monday: I work my chest (bench / decline bench / Incline bench / flys / push ups (etc)
Tuesday: I agility train for football / Legs
Wednsday: Biceps and Triceps: I do curls / headcrushers / forearm workouts (etc)
Thursday: i agility train with my football team / Legs
Friday: I do shoulders

I forgot to say im aslo 6’0 155lbs and im currently 14 years old. I started lifting about 3 weeks ago.

It will be gradual. You may not even notice visible changes for a couple of months. Don’t rush it. Muscle is built during recovery between workouts. Without adequate recovery, you will not progress as fast. However, you will make more progress if you work full body 3 times a week instead of the 3 way split you are doing now. Do Squats, bench press, bent rows, military press and chinups every workout and 1 heavy set (+ warmups)of deadlifts once a week. Squat light that day.

Measure your progress by the increase in the weight you can lift using good form.

Stu

If you want to be better at football and have a six pack, you should focus on the Squat more than the Deadlift. There’s a great saying among in-the-know football coaches: “If you’re doing Curls and Bench Press, and John Doe over there is doing Squats and Power Cleans, when you get on the field he’s gonna kick your ass!”

Don’t try to design your own workout. Just find a workout that will help you reach your goal. That shouldn’t be hard to do on this website.

If you’re only 150lbs and you’re 6 feet tall you must be really skinny. If you don’t have a six pack already, I’m surprised. It may take you 6 weeks or less to get a six pack. It may take you 2 years to become muscular.

It took me a month and a half to look semi “ripped” to the point where people noticed.

Then again, a week later with no working out and I had lost it soo… its gunna take some time

[quote]Dyepaintball12 wrote:
It took me a month and a half to look semi “ripped” to the point where people noticed.

Then again, a week later with no working out and I had lost it soo… its gunna take some time[/quote]

right…

You need to develop muscles before you can be ‘ripped’.

Don’t you need size over ripped to play football?

I think the terms ripped, jacked, buff are all used interchangeably among beginners.

I think the question is, how long til i notice a muscular change.

All depends on diet, recovery, lifting technique, periodization.

The key thing is to stick to something for long enough. Too many people jump around. While yes its good to change it up, but change it up once you feel you have adapted to the current workload.

3 years, 3 months, 3 day, 3 hours, 3 minutes, and 3 seconds, exactly

well lets see you’re a 6 foot tall 155lbs football player. I wouldn’t worry about being “jacked” i would worry about getting huge. As FightingScott said focus on squats and work your major muscles first. Coming from a highs chool running back and linebacker you should focus on your triceps, your core as well your legs.

You need to make sure that your form is correct before you start adding weight. The problem is that more and more high school kids don’t learn how to lift correctly. After you get form then add weight. Biceps don’t need to be trained as much as triceps do for football. Squats and power-cleans Are the main focus of my routine. Cardio, at least twice a week.

I’m 158 lbs and 5’7" I have started a every year I have played. I squat 405lbs. I play linebacker and fullback. Size is more important than definition for you at this point.

[quote]dburgers wrote:
well lets see you’re a 6 foot tall 155lbs football player. I wouldn’t worry about being “jacked” i would worry about getting huge. As FightingScott said focus on squats and work your major muscles first. Coming from a highs chool running back and linebacker you should focus on your triceps, your core as well your legs.

You need to make sure that your form is correct before you start adding weight. The problem is that more and more high school kids don’t learn how to lift correctly. After you get form then add weight. Biceps don’t need to be trained as much as triceps do for football. Squats and power-cleans Are the main focus of my routine. Cardio, at least twice a week.

I’m 158 lbs and 5’7" I have started a every year I have played. I squat 405lbs. I play linebacker and fullback. Size is more important than definition for you at this point. [/quote]

you squat 405 at 158 pounds. I say post a video.