T Nation

How Long To Gain 1lb of Muscle?

For a woman?

I realize this is a pretty subjective question, but what is the consensus? How long should it take to gain one pound of muscle if you are lifting heavy and eating good clean food? I don’t need an in-depth analysis, just an idea – is it possible to do it in one month or generally more like 6 months?

Also, if you STOP working out and eating clean, how long would it take to LOSE a pound of muscle?

I posted this question to the T-vixens and they suggested I try this forum instead.

[quote]melvis66 wrote:
For a woman?

I realize this is a pretty subjective question, but what is the consensus? How long should it take to gain one pound of muscle if you are lifting heavy and eating good clean food? I don’t need an in-depth analysis, just an idea – is it possible to do it in one month or generally more like 6 months?

Also, if you STOP working out and eating clean, how long would it take to LOSE a pound of muscle?

I posted this question to the T-vixens and they suggested I try this forum instead.

[/quote]

read my post in the last thread and u also have to factor in that it is harder for a woman to put on muscle because of the hormones and such

[quote]melvis66 wrote:
For a woman?

[/quote]

Any hockey fan will get an answer from even if their team did just finish losing their third in a row for the first time this season =]

This varies widely from person to person and even in the same person periodically. It’s even harder to call for females imho. How long for atrophy is even harder still and depends on a myriad of circumstances and conditions too numerous to name.

If I had to guess I’d say a pound or a pound and a half a month is reasonable for a while though give or take a bit. Losing it I wouldn’t even hazard a guess at a single pound.