T Nation

How Long to Bulk?

Hey,

I am just wondering how long I should bulk? I have just started working out about 2 months ago and have been eating well but not really cramming it down.

I am 6’1" 185 lbs. I am planning on starting to bulk but I don’t know if I should go to a particular number (210 lbs lets say) or if I should go for a particular amount of time. And if it was to be a particular amount of time, then what, 5 months? 10 months?

I’m new to all this and just not sure of the details. Thanks for your responses in advance.

[quote]AggieJohn wrote:
Hey,

I am just wondering how long I should bulk? I have just started working out about 2 months ago and have been eating well but not really cramming it down.

I am 6’1" 185 lbs. I am planning on starting to bulk but I don’t know if I should go to a particular number (210 lbs lets say) or if I should go for a particular amount of time. And if it was to be a particular amount of time, then what, 5 months? 10 months?

I’m new to all this and just not sure of the details. Thanks for your responses in advance.[/quote]

i think it would take less than 5 monthes to reach 210 pounds. for example if you gained 2 pounds per week that would only take 3 monthes.

[quote]redsox348984 wrote:

i think it would take less than 5 monthes to reach 210 pounds. for example if you gained 2 pounds per week that would only take 3 monthes.[/quote]

But those gains are based on the result you are getting. I get the feeling there are a lot of guys who are half assing it in the gym and then trying to compensate for it by eating. I would bet less than half the guys talking about “bulking” are training hard enough to justify it.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
redsox348984 wrote:

i think it would take less than 5 monthes to reach 210 pounds. for example if you gained 2 pounds per week that would only take 3 monthes.

But those gains are based on the result you are getting. I get the feeling there are a lot of guys who are half assing it in the gym and then trying to compensate for it by eating. I would bet less than half the guys talking about “bulking” are training hard enough to justify it.[/quote]

ah i guess you may be right. ASSUMING he will be working pretty hard in the gym, because he is just begining 2 pounds per week sounds resonable for putting on mass if he somewhat knows what he is doing

Ag,

Why not go until you get to a certain result, and not worry about how long it takes?

I mean, as long as you are making progress it makes sense to keep going, unless your only progress is getting fat or something unproductive like that.

I bulked from 180 - 215 in about a years time. I’m also 6’1. I wouldn’t worry too much about time, and worry a lot more about quality of your mass. I’m sure I could have done it faster, but I did it without gaining much BF% or sacrificing of athleticism due to not functional weight gain.

Take your time and do it right. You will be much happier in the end doing it this way.

Ok, so assuming traning with intensity, do you guys bulk until:

• You stop making muscle or strength gains as fast as you would like, or as fast as you are putting on fat,

and/or

• You carry enough fat to feel uncomfortable enough to want to loose it?
    Would this be around 16 to 18% BF (realising that it isn’t very accurate or the sole contributing factor) for most people?

my advice is to actually do something for a few months before you start asking questions about bulking. If you have any questions on the “doing”, fire away.

[quote]allNatural wrote:
my advice is to actually do something for a few months before you start asking questions about bulking. If you have any questions on the “doing”, fire away.[/quote]

Perfect advice. I was thinking the same but it would have come out to two pages. Too many people on this board seem to avoid the “Just do it” part.

[quote]allNatural wrote:
my advice is to actually do something for a few months before you start asking questions about bulking. If you have any questions on the “doing”, fire away.[/quote]

I realize after 2 months of lifting I’m pretty much opening myself up for attacks when asking questions about longterm results. I was just curious. I have been working hard in the gym and have been trying to get to know all the exercises and what my body can do. I just figured I was ready to start on a “routine” and begin working toward a goal, but I didn’t want to set out on it not knowing how far to take it.

From a few of the posts I suppose I will not worry about time spent and worry more about results that I see.

have to reply with a comment for another email I received. If you want to be a 210 pound reasonably lean person, dont take the attitide of how long you have to be on a certain program or eating plan or whatever. make the change in your life to eat and train like that type of person for good and the results follow. problem with people who are small and want to get bigger, fatter people who want to get skinnier, poorer people who want to get richer, etc, is they view the change as short term. whatever class of whatever you are, you are because of what you do. so eat and train like a person who has 30 pounds more muscle every day. dont visualise it at the expense of never getting your plan off the ground

[quote]AggieJohn wrote:
allNatural wrote:
my advice is to actually do something for a few months before you start asking questions about bulking. If you have any questions on the “doing”, fire away.

I realize after 2 months of lifting I’m pretty much opening myself up for attacks when asking questions about longterm results. I was just curious. I have been working hard in the gym and have been trying to get to know all the exercises and what my body can do. I just figured I was ready to start on a “routine” and begin working toward a goal, but I didn’t want to set out on it not knowing how far to take it.

From a few of the posts I suppose I will not worry about time spent and worry more about results that I see. [/quote]

The problem is, most guys who have been training for a while will not even understand what the issue is. I know I don’t. I started lifting weights to get bigger and stronger from the FIRST DAY I set foot in a gym. I don’t even understand having trained for two months without shooting for a goal. What have you been doing in the gym? Does this mean you have NOT been eating more and lifting heavy? What would you all do without the internet?

You set goals and then work towards them. That’s it. The rest involves hard work on your part. It is not more complicated than that.

If you’re 180 and you want to get to 210, I think you should take 3 months to get there. If you want to be lean 210, wellllll… shoot for nothing less than 230. So, you’re at 50 pounds gained overall. If you do it smart, it should take you almost a year. If you eat a lot of ice cream and cake, it’ll take consderably less.

There’s a pound a week theory.

Do what you are comfortable with.

Well, here is what I am doing. I’m no expert so take from it what you will.

I pick a number 20-25 pounds above my current body weight. I then eat enough to gain a pound or two per week. Keep at it until I reach my goal and then evaluate how I look and feel. If I’m getting bigger and stronger I’ll keep with the big eating. If I feel bloated, sluggish, and have a bad mindset, I’ll maintain for a few weeks and see if my attitude changes.

[quote]kroby wrote:
If you’re 180 and you want to get to 210, I think you should take 3 months to get there. If you want to be lean 210, wellllll… shoot for nothing less than 230. So, you’re at 50 pounds gained overall. If you do it smart, it should take you almost a year. If you eat a lot of ice cream and cake, it’ll take consderably less.

There’s a pound a week theory.

Do what you are comfortable with.[/quote]

In all reality, you don’t know how long it will take for him to reach his final goal. No one does. Even giving time limits serves no purpose but to misguide people.

Hmmm…how long to bulk?

Until girls start bitcin’ how big you’ve become.

[quote]Cthulhu wrote:
Hmmm…how long to bulk?

Until girls start bitcin’ how big you’ve become.[/quote]

We have the correct answer.

girls love hugging big guys and climbing on them like trees even though they say you’re “too big”