How Long to Build Muscle?

[quote]Kliplemet wrote:
so 6-8 lbs per year is accurate? people laugh at me (especially on the internet) that I want to go from 74kg to 94 kg in 5-6 years. furthermore, I am not doing real bodybuilding, Iam doing weightlifting, so I will probably gain even slower :([/quote]

I weighlift. I weighed in at 177 a little less than two weeks ago; I weighed in at 183 today. Same scale, exactly same clothes. Even if you assume two pounds of water increase (despite the fact that I was somewhat dehydrated after both workouts) and a pound of fat gain, that’s still three pounds of muscle in two weeks. I’m going to gain another four or five pounds of total bodyweight in the next two weeks. Will I suddenly hit a plateau after that, beyond which I would have to wait until next January to gain more weight? I am skeptical… Of course, I am quite skinny right now, which makes this a bit easier.

If you weightlift, of course, how fast you WANT to gain weight is another question.

All right. To put this 6-8lb of muscle thing to a rest just take a look at my best friend Tony. The guy just finished up his 5th year of football at the University of Nevada. The first 4 years he played tight end where he played at roughly 255lb.

Going into his senior year his coaches convinced him to make the change to tackle. He literally ate non stop and with the help an all you can eat sushi joint in about 6 months he got his weight up to 300lb and now that the season is over he’s up to 310 all in less than a year. He’s now getting ready for the NFL combine. Now don’t get me wrong, he has a HUGE belly now and obviously a lot of that is fat but he easily put on 20 pounds of muscle. Here’s a before and after. And yes he’s clean.

K, this was him mid season. 6’5 300lb. He’s 58 in the picture.

I must have misunderstood. Why is this guy talking about competition?

well when i first started lifting i was 135 lbs and by the end of the year I was 220 lbs and maybe 25% BF so I guess u can gain a bit more than 6-8 lbs.

well when i first started lifting i was 135 lbs and by the end of the year I was 220 lbs and maybe 25% BF so I guess u can gain a bit more than 6-8 lbs.

Well I’ve gained cca. 30 pound in 6 months and still gaining. My bf went up for maybe 2 or 3 %. Maybe it’s just me but if you take it seriously and stick with diet and workut regime, nothing is impossible.

[quote]HvRv wrote:
Well I’ve gained cca. 30 pound in 6 months and still gaining. My bf went up for maybe 2 or 3 %. Maybe it’s just me but if you take it seriously and stick with diet and workut regime, nothing is impossible. [/quote]

Believing you can reah a goal is why I hate hearing these “limits” talked about, especially by beginners. If you believe you can’t gain more than 6lbs a year, you will train that way as well. You will also be more likely to fall into that group that goes from year to year never making any progress much beyond where they started.

[quote]HvRv wrote:
Maybe it’s just me but if you take it seriously and stick with diet and workut regime, nothing is impossible. [/quote]

That is the best damn mentality to have.

[quote]BIGRAGOO wrote:
HvRv wrote:
Maybe it’s just me but if you take it seriously and stick with diet and workut regime, nothing is impossible.

That is the best damn mentality to have.[/quote]

Right-the only thing the fanciful 6-8 lb limit does is cause people to fail to properly raise their calories and falsely assume it won’t lead to more gains if in fact they plateau after minimal gain. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.