T Nation

How Long Should I Bulk Up?

Hi, so im sorry if this is such a nooby question. i just started bulking and i haven't done it before. so i figured that the answer is probably just however long it take to reach your goal size/weight. but i just wanted to make sure. is there any like optimum amount of time that you should spend bulking? do your gains in terms of weight/ mass plateau after a while? I dont compete or anything so thats not a factor.

your gains will slow down as you get more advanced, it just happens. It will also get to the point where more food isn't going to automatically equal more muscle. But that is years and years down the road...

Do yourself a favor and forget you ever heard the terms Bulk and Cut.

Pick a goal, relatively short term, and eat in accordance to that goal. So if your goal is to get more muscle and get stronger, eat more food, if it is to lose fat and look leaner, eat less.

Learn how your body responds to different foods and stimulus. Once you hit that goal, re-asses where you are at and make a new goal. (If your goal is to be a jacked up swole beast, expect it to take a while.)

Now don't be a total dumbass and live off of waffles and ice cream. Eat like a sensible person would. This also means, don't eat like a dieting bodybuilder 24/7. Be reasonable and smart about it, and eat foods you are comfortable with, but don't gorge on chips candy and coke diesel. You see what I'm getting at? Don't be super strict and hold yourself back, but don't be too loose and fuck up your body comp at the same time. This will take trial and error on your part.

Focus on getting stronger in all lifts, and try and give all muscle groups attention. Follow the 80/20 rule. You want to focus 80% of your effort on the 20% that really matters. You will also get 80% of your results from the 20% that matters.

/Thread

thanks for the advice. really appreciate it and it cleared that up for me. also i never thought about that whole 80/20 thing. but i will definitely remember that the next time i go to train.

I think the old saying (i think its old anyway?) really applies:

"Muscle is built in the kitchen, not in the gym"

Whenever I'm trying to add size I always remember that. You have to fuel your body if you expect it to do what you want it to do. Good luck man

thanks for the advice. really appreciate it and it cleared that up for me. also i never thought about that whole 80/20 thing. but i will definitely remember that the next time i go to train.

you are welcome man.

Just use your head and listen to your body.

Try and be as badass as you can, effort & consistency go a long way, but learning your body and how to make it do what you want is also paramount.

Pick certain goals and try to achieve them. Like me, I'm attempting to get to 230 lbs by February. I've been gaining about a lb a week so I'm on track. Once I hit 230, I'm going to try to hold that for a few weeks, and assess where I want to go.

What would you say is the 20% that really matters? core lifts, diet, sleep?

I know you addressed this to countingbeans, but I felt like chiming in anyway. :slight_smile:

Consistently going to gym, consistently progressing in the gym (weights you use are increasing) using basic effective exercises hitting all major muscle groups, and consistently eating a ton of protein (and food, in general).

What ^he said

Great advice! Nice job Beans.

You really never stop bulking since you should always be striving to gain more muscle. If you notice you start getting fat then cut down your calories a little but that's about it.