How Long Is Your Bulking Phase?

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Most of it seems to be coming from people completely making up what I am saying and telling others the lie as if I wrote it.

That has occurred more than once just in the past week.

I know some people are koing…but clearly there are some slow ones here who think the jokes are meant to be real.

If they quoted what was actually written, there would be little debate.[/quote]
I’d just like to say that your posts have always been crystal clear to me. Reading your posts has contributed a lot to my philosophy of training and my small success so far.

[quote]gregron wrote:

[quote]Jab1 wrote:
As prof X has said many times; the goal is not to get fat. Bulking is adding muscle and strenght by eating more. Some people seem to have a really hard time using there brain about their bodyfat however.[/quote]

^^This is why I dont like the terms “bulk” and “cut”

It seems like people take the word “bulk” or “bulking phase” to add a lot of bodyfat when that shouldnt be the case (some? sure. a lot? not necessary) [/quote]
That’s a reasonable point. To be honest if I am ever offering help to a beginner I don’t use the terms and instead talk of eating to gain muscle and strength, but mentally I use them for myself since I don’t have any confusion over the matter. To the OP then I would say (following the advice of the vets here) to use your head; don’t go past the point you are uncomfortable with. Keep track. Consistently add strength and keep in mind your goals.

Also fuck my spelling and grammar was awful in that post.

Double also looking SICK in that avi Greg.

^^Thanks man. Had to make it black and white cause I was getting some shit in my log about it cause Im really white right now and had just finished some tabata on the bike/burpees so I was flushed like a lobster lol.

Yeah I agree that I wouldnt necessarily use the terms “bulk” and “cut” with a noobie cause I think people get the wrong idea.

My bulk phase is forever, I don’t compete (yet) so if I could get up to 250, then im fine with that.

This is also from the perspective of someone not ever going to compete but would also like to gain as much as possible. It is also from the perspective of someone in their mid-30’s where gaining fat is easier than it was 10 years ago.

I don’t look at Bulk/Cut as an either or, opposite end of the spectrum type thing. I approach it as more of an ebb and flow which just so happens to roughly follow the seasons, for obvious reasons.

I tend to feel like eating more food and seem to gain weight easier during the cooler months and tend to be less hungry and lose weight easier when it’s hot (partly due to increased activity outside and such). And obviously like to be leaner during the summer months.

Usually around late Sept. I start GRADUALLY increasing my intake. Somewhere in Nov. I hit a “peak intake” which usually means I’m not able to get much more down in a day. I try and hold that intake for several months, usually up until about April or so. By this time i have usually stagnated somewhat in my strength gains. The scale might still be going up but it’s usually fat.

So mid spring, I start GRADUALLY cutting back on my food and adding some sort of cardio in (along with the yard work that usually starts around this time). I scale back on my intake mainly by cutting out most of my carbs, not much else. I don’t see any reason to go all out on a “cut”. Too easy to lose my hard work, and I’ve certainly done it before. I scale back gradually till I’m at a place where the fat is coming off but my strength isn’t suffering too much. I think after your body is used to eating a bunch, even if you scale back and are still eating over maintenance, you’ll see some composition improvements but it’s not so severe your body jumps ship and dumps all the extra quality weight you gained.

Get into early summer and I’ve already lost a good deal of my fluff. With all the summer activities coupled with less appetite from the heat, and I’ve had a decent re-comp. By the time Sept. rolls back around I’m ready to start eating heavy again.

[quote]cueball wrote:
This is also from the perspective of someone not ever going to compete but would also like to gain as much as possible. It is also from the perspective of someone in their mid-30’s where gaining fat is easier than it was 10 years ago.

I don’t look at Bulk/Cut as an either or, opposite end of the spectrum type thing. I approach it as more of an ebb and flow which just so happens to roughly follow the seasons, for obvious reasons.

I tend to feel like eating more food and seem to gain weight easier during the cooler months and tend to be less hungry and lose weight easier when it’s hot (partly due to increased activity outside and such). And obviously like to be leaner during the summer months.

Usually around late Sept. I start GRADUALLY increasing my intake. Somewhere in Nov. I hit a “peak intake” which usually means I’m not able to get much more down in a day. I try and hold that intake for several months, usually up until about April or so. By this time i have usually stagnated somewhat in my strength gains. The scale might still be going up but it’s usually fat.

So mid spring, I start GRADUALLY cutting back on my food and adding some sort of cardio in (along with the yard work that usually starts around this time). I scale back on my intake mainly by cutting out most of my carbs, not much else. I don’t see any reason to go all out on a “cut”. Too easy to lose my hard work, and I’ve certainly done it before. I scale back gradually till I’m at a place where the fat is coming off but my strength isn’t suffering too much. I think after your body is used to eating a bunch, even if you scale back and are still eating over maintenance, you’ll see some composition improvements but it’s not so severe your body jumps ship and dumps all the extra quality weight you gained.

Get into early summer and I’ve already lost a good deal of my fluff. With all the summer activities coupled with less appetite from the heat, and I’ve had a decent re-comp. By the time Sept. rolls back around I’m ready to start eating heavy again.

[/quote]

Honestly, if your goal is to reach any sort of extreme, by your 30’s you should already be “big” if not “fucking huge”.

If you aren’t by then, taking it much slower as far as gaining is likely the best course of action.

However, hopefully most here understand that most advice is given with the goal of having an audience with those with above average goals who are not starting over the age of 30 for the first time.

Very few people can go from skinny to huge after the age of 30-35.

Other than that, as far as your own goals, it looks like you are doing fine.

If you’re getting bigger then you’re getting bigger. You should always try to gain quality muscle. Unless you’re getting ready for a show there should be no cutting phase.

I stand by what i said … It may be from personal experience but i doubt i’m the exception to the rule.

I don’t want to get hyooge but my goal has always been to be between 200-210lbs with the same definition i started off with. I don’t think it’s necessary for me or anyone to get to 240lbs to be lean at 210lbs.

X you said you were 210lbs 10 yrs ago… you went all the way up to about 300lbs. When you diet down you might be between 230-240lbs lean, and thats me being generous. What you’re trying to tell me is that in those 10 years you couldn’t have gained an average of 3lbs of muscle a year and not lose much definition?

That would have allowed you to gain the same 20-30lbs of muscle in the same amount of time resulting in the same “end”

There’s no question you’re serious about lifting but as austin said it all comes down to the individual. I can’t recommend anything other than what i know and what i’ve applied.

To you the end may justify the means but to me it doesn’t. I’m in it for longevity.

[quote]angus_beef wrote:
If you’re getting bigger then you’re getting bigger. You should always try to gain quality muscle. Unless you’re getting ready for a show there should be no cutting phase.

I stand by what i said … It may be from personal experience but i doubt i’m the exception to the rule.

I don’t want to get hyooge but my goal has always been to be between 200-210lbs with the same definition i started off with. I don’t think it’s necessary for me or anyone to get to 240lbs to be lean at 210lbs.

X you said you were 210lbs 10 yrs ago… you went all the way up to about 300lbs. When you diet down you might be between 230-240lbs lean, and thats me being generous. What you’re trying to tell me is that in those 10 years you couldn’t have gained an average of 3lbs of muscle a year and not lose much definition?

That would have allowed you to gain the same 20-30lbs of muscle in the same amount of time resulting in the same “end”

There’s no question you’re serious about lifting but as austin said it all comes down to the individual. I can’t recommend anything other than what i know and what i’ve applied.

To you the end may justify the means but to me it doesn’t. I’m in it for longevity.[/quote]

?

This isn’t about what COULD happen.

The moment guys like you make more progress, then we can talk.

But you haven’t…and most people who think like that haven’t aside from genetic freaks who can make great gains while staying very lean.

People like that will generally make progress, but it is much slower which in itself can limit how much overall progress you make (I do believe we have discussed age many times over).

Most people will not be able to maintain this lifestyle for over a decade with the same seriousness that I have. Life hits you from all angles the older you get. The man who can find a way to keep at this long term while making the process convenient and enjoyable for himself will be the last man standing…not the guy who instead tried to “out clean diet everyone” for no reason.

Further, you have no clue what I even weigh right now but have already set limits for me.

That’s ridiculous.

Worry about yourself…and the bottom line is, if you make less progress than the guy who makes more, why does your way of doing things matter?

I could see if you were talking to some guy with no muscle and a 50" waist…but that ain’t happenin’.

Honestly, if your goal is to reach any sort of extreme, by your 30’s you should already be “big” if not “fucking huge”.

If you aren’t by then, taking it much slower as far as gaining is likely the bnest course of action.

However, hoefully most here understand that most advice is given with the goal of having an audience with those with above average goals who are not starting over the age of 30 for the first time.

Very few people can go from skinny to huge after the age of 30.

Other than that, as far as your own goals, it looks like you are doing fine.[/quote]

I agree about the timeline for “extreme”. I didn’t start in my 30’s, rather in my early 20’s. I graduated high school at 150lbs. 2 months ago was 235lbs, Currently at 225lbs. My biggest downfall was having 2-3 years of consistency, followed by a few years completely out of the gym during my 20’s. Luckily muscle memory was a real thing and I was able to pick it back up fairly quickly.

Reaching an “extreme”, I realize, isn’t a reality. However gaining as much as possible is. I’m sure some others on these boards my age feel we’ve got a few more years to pack some on. Luckily I wasn’t still skinny at 30.

Obviously the advice you give is geared toward a younger lifter with above average goals as their approach toward gaining would be a bit different than someone older. I’m sure you aren’t insinuating that those above 30 who haven’t already reached “extreme” only have average goals.

I suppose what I was writing was a perspective of someone who has “above average goals” but has age to deal with.

[quote]angus_beef wrote:

To you the end may justify the means but to me it doesn’t. I’m in it for longevity.[/quote]

?

This isn’t about what COULD happen.

The moment guys like you make more progress, then we can talk.

But you haven’t…and most people who think like that haven’t aside from genetic freaks who can make great gains while staying very lean.

People like that will generally make progress, but it is much slower which in itself can limit how much overall progress you make (I do believe we have discussed age many times over).

Most people will not be able to maintain this lifestyle for over a decade with the same seriousness that I have. Life hits you from all angles the older you get. The man who can find a way to keep at this long term while making the process convenient and enjoyable for himself will be the last man standing…not the guy who instead tried to “out clean diet everyone” for no reason.

Further, you have no clue what I even weigh right now but have already set limits for me.

That’s ridiculous.

Worry about yourself…and the bottom line is, if you make less progress than the guy who makes more, why does your way of doing things matter?

I could see if you were talking to some guy with no muscle and a 50" waist…but that ain’t happenin’.[/quote]

My personal limitations does not equate to my potential. The fact that i set a goal of 200-210lbs lean does not mean i can’t achieve beyond that. You claim i have no clue of what you weigh, yet you’re assuming i haven’t made progress with my approach.

If you think it’s necessary to let yourself go to gain muscle then maybe you aren’t cut out for this.

[quote]angus_beef wrote:
My personal limitations does not equate to my potential. The fact that i set a goal of 200-210lbs lean does not mean i can’t achieve beyond that. You claim i have no clue of what you weigh, yet you’re assuming i haven’t made progress with my approach. [/quote]

?

Who wrote you ahve not made progress?

Oh wait, no one did.

That wasn’t the point, half pint. We are talking about levels of development…and there is no shortage of smaller guys telling bigger guys they did it wrong even though those same smaller guys rarely become bigger guys.

Let yourself go?

Ah, I see. We are back to people making shit up and then acting like I said it.

Boy, that got played out around 2001.

How about you stick to what has actually been written. All you have to do is quote it.

Quit making shit up just to have an argument at all.

[quote]angus_beef wrote:
My personal limitations does not equate to my potential. The fact that i set a goal of 200-210lbs lean does not mean i can’t achieve beyond that. You claim i have no clue of what you weigh, yet you’re assuming i haven’t made progress with my approach. [/quote]

?

Who wrote you ahve not made progress?

Oh wait, no one did.

That wasn’t the point, half pint. We are talking about levels of development…and there is no shortage of smaller guys telling bigger guys they did it wrong even though those same smaller guys rarely become bigger guys.

Let yourself go?

Ah, I see. We are back to people making shit up and then acting like I said it.

Boy, that got played out around 2001.

How about you stick to what has actually been written. All you have to do is quote it.

Quit making shit up just to have an argument at all.[/quote]

What is your problem? …HAHA…

My very first post today i agreed when austin said it’s based on the individual… Did you miss that or you just decided to ignore it?.

I ask a question on whether or not you could have gained 3 lbs a yr while remaining lean and you responded with an entire thesis. It was really a yes or no question but apparently you saw it as an attack.

Half pint? … Almost seems a little personal there. Hope you got that off your chest. My initial post was more of an inquiry than anything else, but i could see where this is going. You trying to make this a bigger guy vs a smaller guy thing. The only comparison here is the methods taken to achieve the same goal. Have fun my good sir.

[quote]angus_beef wrote:

I ask a question on whether or not you could have gained 3 lbs a yr while remaining lean and you responded with an entire thesis. It was really a yes or no question but apparently you saw it as an attack.[/quote]

How can someone answer a yes or no question about what COULD happen? Anything COULD have happened. What DID happen is that I gained more than 3lbs a year by a very large amount.

Most people gaining that freaking slowly will never get that big in the first place. How do you even judge 3 pounds a year? Your body weight can fluctuate that much in a day.

Please show pics of current progress that show more than your avatar.

[quote]

Half pint? … Almost seems a little personal there. Hope you got that off your chest. My initial post was more of an inquiry than anything else, but i could see where this is going. You trying to make this a bigger guy vs a smaller guy thing. The only comparison here is the methods taken to achieve the same goal. Have fun my good sir. [/quote]

Uh, no. This is “experience” vs “theory”.

This is about what does happen in majority against what you think MIGHT happen in alternate universes.

Been bulking for the last 6 months. Added 22 lbs. Can still see the outline of my abs. I’ll keep on “bulking” - thank you very much.

PS. I lol’ed at 8 weeks bulk and then CUT.

It is a good thing to keep in mind; ideal vs what happens in the real world - especially when it comes to newer lifters.

The main issue is people who mis-read things, are too sheltered, and don’t have enough common sense/experience to know what direction to take. If a good trainer were to look over and guide a lean/skinny newbie, then they can make leaner/quality gains…but if no trainer is available (to slap them in the face lol), then they’re better off over-estimating things a little and being less strict for the sake of long term sustainability

In my opinion it is not necessarily the length of time but rather how and when your bulk phase is. Of course you want to bulk up long enough so that you actually gain the mass but make sure you do it properly.

A good diet, workout, proper sleep, etc. are just some of the things that are really important. I have heard from several people that bulking up after your diet phase will allow your body to act as a sponge for all the nutrients and hence be a more profitable bulking phase. Let me know what you think.

• Jeff

jeff@WeightTraining.com

Yea. That’s called “the rebounding effect” or whatever term you want yo use.

But bulking for 2 months and then cut all the gains away? That sounds stupid no matter how you slice it.