T Nation

How Long is This Going to Take!?

My low-back started hurting a few weeks ago and it is still tight and slightly uncomfortable at times. It’s totally messed up my workout progress. I haven’t been able to workout regularly. I’m afraid to push it too hard because I dont want to cause further trouble to my back. I’m completely foregoing deadlifts and I’m mostly using bodyweight squats to try and salvage my leg strength.

Does anyone have any advice on things I can do to help speed this along? Or just some rough figures on how long low back tightness/discomfort sticks around after an injury.

All help is appreciated.

I would go see a doctor about it.

Also you might want to try to stretch your lower back and get on a foam roller.

Taking plenty of fish oils would also help.

Can you get a good back rub by someone who knows what muscles feel like? See if you feel pain by pressure or if they feel something weird.

Roller is a good idea, how about hot water stretching? Get in a hot tub or turn the water in the shower way up and work at that. If this isn’t working, a doctor may be needed.

What was the pain like when it happened? Sudden,sharp,piercing, or dull and burning? What were you doing?

Thing you can do to help, from my experience, wear your best shoes all the time. Sit properly at all times. See if the way you sleep isn’t helping.

Lemme know

If you are serious about recovering take a full week off from the gym. Training just aggravates the muscles and doesn’t let them heal properly and remember that the lowerback gets used for pretty much anything you do in the gym.
After the week try out a light session in the gym to see how your back responds; if it still hurts under light load then I would go see a doctor.

Lower back problems are a bitch so I wish you best of luck for getting better man.

[quote]CantStop wrote:
I would go see a doctor about it.
[/quote]

Agreed, you shouldn’t have soreness/discomfort for “a couple weeks.” The worst doms I ever get lasts for 2-3 days at most.

IMHO.

Don’t be overly protective of your back, do things to actively stretch it. If you compensate for it your body won’t send it nutrients etc because it is not being used. I am not making myself clear, I apologize. Basically, don’t be afraid to use it and stretch it, just be careful.

[quote]Lucid_3ntr0py wrote:
Can you get a good back rub by someone who knows what muscles feel like? See if you feel pain by pressure or if they feel something weird.

Roller is a good idea, how about hot water stretching? Get in a hot tub or turn the water in the shower way up and work at that. If this isn’t working, a doctor may be needed.

What was the pain like when it happened? Sudden,sharp,piercing, or dull and burning? What were you doing?

Thing you can do to help, from my experience, wear your best shoes all the time. Sit properly at all times. See if the way you sleep isn’t helping.

Lemme know[/quote]

It was dull and it was only a problem if I bent over and there was shear stress on it. I didn’t bend my lower back when I would bend over, just the weight of my upper body putting stress on my low back(i’m not overweight or jacked). Now that doesn’t bother me. It’s just “uncomfortable.” And I don’t want to hurt it again.

Thanks for all of your advice and comments.

do you mind answering a few more questions about it?

how long ago did it happen?
what was it you did that made you suddenly realise it?
do you get any pins and needles or numbness going down to your legs at all?
since you first noticed it, has it got any better, worse or is it still the same as it was initially?
you say bending forward hurts, correct? whats it like bending BACKWARDS?
have you been to see a doctor or anybody about your back? if so, have you had any tests/scans/xrays done?
how old are you?

90% of low back pain goes undiagnosed as there are hundreds of structures that could be the cause, so its virtually impossible to pinpoint the precise problem area. its pretty hard, as I cant see you, to see if the problem could be to do with how you sit or anything, but answering these questions could provide a bit more info. that may be useful.

like some people have mentioned, rest is important, but so is exercise. back in the good old days, doc’s used to just tell people to rest-up and all will be better. that didnt work very well, and most people, although maybe their pain decreased a bit, they couldnt bend 10 degrees to save their lives. anyway, im rambling…

[quote]Tome-Rx wrote:
do you mind answering a few more questions about it?

how long ago did it happen?
what was it you did that made you suddenly realise it?
do you get any pins and needles or numbness going down to your legs at all?
since you first noticed it, has it got any better, worse or is it still the same as it was initially?
you say bending forward hurts, correct? whats it like bending BACKWARDS?
have you been to see a doctor or anybody about your back? if so, have you had any tests/scans/xrays done?
how old are you?

[/quote]

1. It started about a month ago

2. I realized it when I woke up.

3. No

4. Much better, it only acts up if I’m in one position too long… usually sitting

5. It feels great to bend backwards

6. No

7. I’m 19

I can bend over or squat down and I’m fine, but sometimes it gets “uncomfortable.” It’s not painful, sore, or burning. Thats the best I can describe it.

Thanks for your help.

In can barely lean over the sink to brush by teeth the mornings following deadlift days. I’ve had lower back pain for years. It sticks around a long time. You’ll need to pay proper attention to form and posture from now on. You may be pain free for a year and then get sloppy with deadlift form and you’ll be right back with the pain again.

It’s most likely you just strained the muscles but there is the chance you did something to your spine. Get checked out by a doc, x-rays if indicated.

one approach physical therapists use for low back pain is called the McKenzie Approach, which stresses the importance of self-management. it uses a “3 syndrome” classification for the patients problems; derenagement, dysfunction and postural. all 3 obviously have their differences and like you yourself have noticed, you only get the pain when sitting for long periods of time. this is one of the main criteria for a postural problem.

the best way therefore to treat this, is to adjust your posture when sitting. obviously it’d be best to do a physical examination to get the full details and determine the exact movements which are limited/painful, but we cant do that. best thing I can advise is to watch your posture. try shifting your ass further back in a seat and put a rolled up towel or a lumbar roll in the lower part of your back. this maintains the natural curve of the lumbar (lower) spine and eases the stresses going through it. if I were you i’d read up about posture and maybe just a little bit of anatomy of the spine.

I just feel that if a person understands what the problem may be, it makes them more motivated to do something about it. I must say though, progress for potural problems is slow and hard as obviously we all get into habits that are hard to adjust, but it is important to get right.

just try change how you sit and that and keep us updated if it gets and better or worse. I’d also say if it’s not so much painful as more of an awareness, try getting back into your exercise. exercise is one of the primary treatments for low back pain, so maybe try some gentle stretches aswell just to loosen up a bit.

good luck with it.

So it sounds like a dull ache is not necessarily a bad thing a few days after a heavy Squat/Deadlift day.

I know for myself there is no sharp pains or anything of that nature, but there is a dull ache and mild discomfort especially while sitting in the office. Soon as I get up and start walking around it is fine though.

obviously you will get an ache if you been squatting and deadlifting massive weight, thats natural fatigue. pins and needles indicate a neural problem, but you dont have that so thats a good thing. im guessin you have no bladder or bowel problems at all either? again, that could be a neural (cauda equina) problem if so.

also, is the pain in a specific spot or does it go anywhere else at all? can you pinpoint it. is it more one side than the other? a dull CONSTANT ache could suggest OA, but youre only 19 AND its not a constant, all-the-time pain you get, so again thats not the problem. like I said, its postural, so try with a rolled up towel in the hollow of your back when sitting, with your ass shifted right back in the seat. just make sure youre not slumping. lemme know how it progresses…

first of all, fish oils will not help a chronic sore back. Common to popular myth on this site, fish oil is not a magic pill. Secondly, you need to see a Chiropractor…They specialize in back pain…

VERY interesting, I have EXACTLY the same symptoms on my lower back. I hurt it about 4 weeks ago deadlifting and while it doesn’t hurt at all when I do normal stuff, deep squatting feels “uncomfortable” and I know if I added any weight it would get painful again. I’ve gotten to the point where I can barely notice it but if I try to squat really deep I get this weird, stiff feeling in my back and it doesn’t feel good. I’ve been doing a lot of bodyweight reverse hypers and I feel they’ve helped a lot.

For me the pain is on the right side of my back but I definitely feel it on my left too, just more prononounced on right. I have an appointment with a physical therapist next thursday so that should clear it all. I know I’m an idiot for wating so long (almost a month).

[quote]Optimistic Cynic wrote:
So it sounds like a dull ache is not necessarily a bad thing a few days after a heavy Squat/Deadlift day.

I know for myself there is no sharp pains or anything of that nature, but there is a dull ache and mild discomfort especially while sitting in the office. Soon as I get up and start walking around it is fine though.[/quote]

Mine is the exact same way.