T Nation

How Long is a Transition Out of Cutting?

Okay, so I have 1 month left until football practices start up, so I need to have transitioned out of my cut by then. How long does it take to do this? Ideally, I would keep cutting as long as I can because im not where I want to be body composition wise, but its probably not a good idea to be cutting once practice starts up in 95 degree heat.

This is my first cut, i've lost 27 pounds so far (8 weeks) by doing a low carb/high fat/high protein diet. I've lost 4 inches off my stomach, and my strength decreased only slightly so far on my main lifts. I expect some weight to come back once I add carbs back into my diet, hopefully my stomach stays the same though.

So how and when should I transition back into eating more? Increase my calories (from carbs basically) by 250-500 a week? How many weeks should I spend getting my calories back up? Or since I will be doing intense practices, do I even need to have a transition period or can I just start eating a lot once practice starts because of the workload my body will be doing? I would obviously prefer the last option, as that would allow more time to lose fat but if it's not smart then I won't do it.

Any help is appreciated, im not really sure what to do at this point.

You can start bulking immediately, really. Your weight is going to shoot up for a bit when you increase your carbs because carbs cause more water to be drawn/retained, but don't worry about that weight too much.

Immediately. Don't waste any time.

So I don't need to slowly add carbs/calories into my diet? I can just add 1000-2000 calories a few days before practice starts and my body won't gain a bunch of fat?

How low was your deficit? or how high is your surplus? Deficits/surpluses should only be about 200-300 below or above, ideally. Surplus can go a bit higher, but I wouldn't jump up super high immediately. Jump INTO a surplus, but don't jump 1000kcal up.

Won't gain a bunch of fat in the few days before practice? Probably not in a few days. Depends on if all 1-2k cals are carbs or if you still eat clean.

You will, however probably crap a lot more if you add 1-2k cals. A LOT more.

I don't know how much more I will eat. Right now im planning on adding milk and bread back into my diet and oatmeal in the morning. I don't expect my diet to change much other than that. Right now I mainly eat chicken, eggs, cottage cheese, mixed nuts, veggies, and some fruit. I do take HOT-ROX, obviously once practice starts up I won't be taking it anymore. I think im going to order another bottle of HOT-ROX and keep cutting until the August practices.

I still have fat on me, and this is really the only time I can focus on losing weight for a long time (due to sports and school), so I want to get as lean as possible and spend the whole school year trying to gain more muscle. I'm not going to worry about transitioning or anything now that I think about it. With two-a-days I won't have to worry about eating too much.