How Long for HP Mass Workouts?

I do also feel the lower body lifts feel a little bit light but the upper body lifts do not. I’m still going to stick with exactly what he suggests.

I love being able to squat nearly everyday though(4 days of wave loading) then some form of squats on neural charge workouts.

[quote]illgixxer wrote:
I love being able to squat nearly everyday though(4 days of wave loading) then some form of squats on neural charge workouts.[/quote]

I’m with you, man! I don’t really have any least favorite exercises, but I love incorporating higher frequency of front squats and power snatches into my training.

[quote]illgixxer wrote:
I do also feel the lower body lifts feel a little bit light but the upper body lifts do not. I’m still going to stick with exactly what he suggests. [/quote]

If you are able and inclined - put up a video here of your speed on the squat and or DL with 80% of your 3 RM. Would be interesting to see. Remember, speed even with a relatively ‘light’ weight equates to strength gains especially when combined with high volume in that training zone as Thibs is recommending.

i pulled 375lbs today on DL for MTW then waved down and up after my Upper Body Pressing and it felt like a feather, but I do know that it’s giving me benefit. Will retest strength in 7th week, just started 2nd week yesterday.

I will do that on Thursday of both, I’m doing a neural charge workout tomorrow and have a lower body day thursday, 1st one with 3 waves.

I’m also interested to hear the results of your test after 7 weeks because while I could see this program building size, it is hard to believe that it could increase your 1rm strength. But…I have never lifted weights in any way like this before so that doesn’t mean much.

I think the lower body workouts are the way they are to avoid CNS fatigue while being able to still workout using high volume and high frequency. The major lower body lifts are very draining on the CNS when using heavy weights

do these look explosive enough?

Yep, good form - not straining through reps. They look at least as good as if not more so - explosive - than some of the training lab livespill lifts. It looked like on some of those that - especially with the bench press - they were grinding their reps out and using a weight much beyond weight that could do “rocket launch” acceleration reps with.

illgixxer what a great form and good explosion, nice to see :), Trayhawk i agree with you, alot of the training lab vids do not look that explosive especially Kevin and Daryl´s , but Alex though seems pretty explosive.

from my understanding you don’t need to explosive like your lifting nothing, but avoid any grinding

and watch your knees on the way down!!

your understanding isn’t exactly right. Throughout the range of motion of the lift, you are supposed to GAIN acceleration during it, obviously taking into consideration you must slow somewhat very near the top to break the force to save your joints. This is what CT said more or less(without going back to the article for an exact definition). What do you mean watch my knees? Did you mean don’t hit them on the decent of the dead lift? I haven’t hit my knees in a long time doing that…

your understanding isn’t exactly right. Throughout the range of motion of the lift, you are supposed to GAIN acceleration during it, obviously taking into consideration you must slow somewhat very near the top to break the force of your joints. This is what CT said more or less(without going back to the article for an exact definition). What do you mean watch my knees? Did you mean don’t hit them on the decent of the dead lift? I haven’t hit my knees in a long time doing that…

So on monday you’re to do 2 primary upper pressing lifts and 1 primary pressing lift and follow that up with the same on tuesday?

I’m going to have to take a back seat in regards to “hard” training as last thursday i had surgery for ruptured patellar tendon suffered in a football game. I do expect a full recovery but I’m looking for some ideas to keep and maybe improve some upper mass while in the rehab process. I have the metabolism of a dragcar so I must eat ALOT and train or I’ll melt.

agreed ill i guess iw as trying to say that it doesn;t have to LOOK explosive to be explosive

from the camera angle it looked like you were smashing into your knees on the way down

yeah not everybody’s execution of a lift will look as explosive as another person’s but as long as it is accelerating through the range of motion it is correct for this program.

[quote]dalle wrote:
illgixxer what a great form and good explosion, nice to see :), Trayhawk i agree with you, alot of the training lab vids do not look that explosive especially Kevin and Daryl�´s , but Alex though seems pretty explosive. [/quote]

I tend to think PART of the reason that I didn’t see much success when first incorporating the perfect rep/I bodybuilder principles was that I still used to heavy of a weight. However, I also tend to think for an advanced lifter (going on 18 straight years come x-mas), their nervous sytem is better able to recruit higher threshold fibers with less reps and - perhaps - less ramping.

Ive tested this out. After dynamic stretching I literally go straight into seated db presses and could do 3 sets fo 5 with 115s - not grinding reps - or to failure. I then started using some of thib’s ideas and simply found that ramping severly hindered my strength. I’ve been lifting heavy weights explosively for awhile and tend to know somewhat how to best approach certain lifts. I started using thibs ideas b4 the HP mass came out. I tried the ramping again - not for me - and struggled with 105s on the 6th set. Yesterday I went straight into 105s then back to 100s then to 95s for last and had rocket launch reps every set. Probably the right weight for me to really get acceleration.

It could not be for you but also he tends to recommend just 3 reps(those extra 2 reps over multiple sets could add fatigue) plus using dumbells wastes energy getting them into place, and just holding them, where as with a barbell you can use less stabilizing energy and just focus on moving the weight. Just a thought. I always used to make 50 lb jumps on exercises I used to lift 225 or more on but I have found to like his ramping style. I might tweek it a little by making bigger jumps initially but the closer I get to my max training weight the smaller weight increases per set I will make.

Also, just on the topic of the thread, my week 3 upper body day(3 upper body movements, 1 lowerbody movement, NO assistance work or circuits afterwards took 2 hours and 15 minutes, lifting by myself).

illgixxer: i meant I had done sets of db presses 3 of five - explosively - prior to trying any of thibs ramping ideas. When I came upon “the perfect rep” principles and neural ramping and tried to incorporate them for the db press - I was much weaker than if I had gone straight to the 115s after dynamic stretching/foam roller as my own only warm up.

I gave the ramping another shot with the new HP MASS program and again it just didn’t work. I’ve since done two workouts of 3 reps for 7-8 sets with 95s-100s with no ramping and it works better - but thats just for me and this exercise. I find the ramping for other exercises has been helpful.

I love seated db presses and they more effectively work the fucntion of the delts better than a barbell because they bring the humerus(upper arm) not only up by together and towards the midline of the body. But you’re right the whole process of stabilzing the things and getting 100+ dbs from your knees to your delts (with no spotter) is a pain and de-motivates some - THIB for example - from the exercise. If I limit my ramping sets, though, and go straight into my top explosive weight its do-able.