T Nation

How Long Does it Take to Get Sixpack Abs?

i dont know my fat% but im not that fat… i found a pic on the web that is very close to the stomach i got: http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumb_252/1206543949DVP2FY.jpg

i just started dieting. im 180cm and about 80kg. how long does it usually takes to get a sixpack with that fat%? im eating about 500 calories below my maintence. thanks for the help

Is dieting all you’re doing?

traing weights and do HIIT training

eat 5-6 meals a day

if you cant grow ir or kill it. dont eat it !

come back in 2-3 months after doing this and we will be able to give a better answer.

For training program go get one of the site and do that!

EDIT: slothguy is right. i won’t be a dick.

This is the beginner forum folks. Simmer down now.

haha. thank you 4est.

Q: How long will it take for me to get that 315 bench?
A: No one knows.

Q: WHAT will it take?
A: Proper diet, training, time and determination, among other things.

[quote]Vektarm wrote:
i dont know my fat% but im not that fat… i found a pic on the web that is very close to the stomach i got: http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumb_252/1206543949DVP2FY.jpg

i just started dieting. im 180cm and about 80kg. how long does it usually takes to get a sixpack with that fat%? im eating about 500 calories below my maintence. thanks for the help[/quote]

That depends a lot on how you train. I would say, don’t cut calories to 500 below maintenance unless your food is really nutritious already. (meaining protein, vitamins, good fats, minerals, a few whole carbs.) Instead replace the 300 worst calories of your diet with 3 doses per day of pure protein (which is about 100 cal per dose). Also, take fish oil if you aren’t already.

Once diet is squared away, work out at least two days per week with weights. This will need to be a good well planned workout, as two days is minimal. And, do various aerobics (swimming laps being ideal) on at least two other days per week. You’ll have a basic “good enough” set of 6-pack abs in 3 months.

If you have time, get in a 30 minute run, a 30 minute swim, and a 1 hour bike ride each week. There’s a reason triathletes are ripped. But don’t neglect the weights. You can’t have great abs without a good back. And you can’t get a good back without putting something into your legs, shoulders, and arms. In other words, there is no shortcut. You just have to get your whole body into shape, perhaps with a focus on the abs if that is what you care most about.

Anyway, there are different degrees of quality to six-pack abs (and everything else). What you can get in 3 months is nothing compared to what you will have if you keep it up for 6 months, 1 year, 2 years, etc.

[quote]ridethecliche wrote:
Is dieting all you’re doing?[/quote]

no, im doing 30 minutes of strengthttraining and 30 minutes of cardio every other day. the other days i do 60 minutes of cardio. basicly im trying to stay 500 calories below my maintenance level.

[quote]Vektarm wrote:

no, im doing 30 minutes of strengthttraining and 30 minutes of cardio every other day. the other days i do 60 minutes of cardio. basicly im trying to stay 500 calories below my maintenance level.[/quote]

Why not more strength training?

[quote]chimera182 wrote:

[quote]Vektarm wrote:

no, im doing 30 minutes of strengthttraining and 30 minutes of cardio every other day. the other days i do 60 minutes of cardio. basicly im trying to stay 500 calories below my maintenance level.[/quote]

Why not more strength training?[/quote]

cant do any more really… i do 5-6 pulling-exercises in my back/biceps-workout, 5-6 pushing-exercises in my chest/shoulders/triceps-workout and so on… one set to near failure (usually stops 1-2 reps before failure, but not always. sometimes i go all out) per exercise. the workout usually takes about 30 minutes to complete. i rest very little of course

i do 5-6 pulling-exercises in my back/biceps-workout, 5-6 pushing-exercises in my chest/shoulders/triceps-workout and so on… one set to near failure (usually stops 1-2 reps before failure, but not always. sometimes i go all out) per exercise. the workout usually takes about 30 minutes to complete. i rest very little of course. cant do any more really… if i train more sets i usually get shoulderpain and feel tired.

i do 5-6 pulling-exercises in my back/biceps-workout, 5-6 pushing-exercises in my chest/shoulders/triceps-workout and so on… one set to near failure (usually stops 1-2 reps before failure, but not always. sometimes i go all out) per exercise. the workout usually takes about 30 minutes to complete. i rest very little of course. cant do any more really… if i train more sets i usually get shoulderpain and feel tired.

Do you start to sweat when you start to feel tired?

More strength training/less cardio will do you good, as long as your diet is very clean. High protein, low carbs, good amount of healthy fat. How much your abs grow, and therefore “stick out” is limited by the growth of the rest of your body.

Look at the abs of pro BBers. It is impossible for a triathlete to get abs that big, cuz their body is just too little.

Somewhere between 6 and 60 weeks, give or take.

Seriously, nobody is going to be able to give you an accurate time frame, but you may get some advice on how to expedite fat loss. If you haven’t checked the articles recently I suggest you start there; three of the last five are right up your alley.

Somewhere between 6 and 60 weeks, give or take.

Seriously, nobody is going to be able to give you an accurate time frame, but you may get some advice on how to expedite fat loss. If you haven’t checked the articles recently I suggest you start there; three of the last five are right up your alley.

Sorry for the multiple posts… thought my browser was broken.

Do you start to sweat when you start to feel tired?[/quote]

i get that tired-feeling after a few days if i do more volume. same with the shoulderpain, its always the left shoulder. i kinda adjust the training volume after if i get pain in the left shoulder or not. and i always try to leave the gym with lot of energi. i do train hard of course, but i always try to stay away from fatigue.

You didn’t mention no leg-workout only Push/Pull for upper body?

If you don’t do this already - try adding squats/deadlifts at least once a week - they are great exercises because they:

.) stimulate a lot of muscles -> lots of calories burned
.) cause a big GH release (good for you^^)
.) make you hardcore in an instant :smiley:

Try adding squats to pushday and deadlifts to your back day - go for 3 to 5 sets of anywherer up to 12 reps. You will notice a difference.