How Long Does Fertility Take to Return?

Hi All,

I’ve been on TRT for about a year now with ups and downs. Still figuring out my protocol to feel consistently good but as I approach the year mark I’m getting worried about getting fertility back. I don’t have any immediate plans for children but definitely down the road I would imagine in 3-5 years and I don’t want to risk any issues there.

I’m a little hesitant to introduce anything immediately because I still haven’t dialed in a good protocol yet but a few questions on this topic. One, at what point do I start considering introducing HCG or something like that into my protocol to keep my fertility? Second question, is HCG even the best route for this? I’ve heard differing opinions on this message board.

Thanks!

It can take a couple of months or longer, it all depends on your current medical issues, diagnoses.

Adding FSH along with the HCG will certainly speed things up. The FSH can increase the sperm count substantially and can be a game changer for those men unable to achieve a good sperm count on HCG in isolation.

Thanks for the quick reply, do you recommend doing this even if you’re not planning on having kids in a few years to keep fertility going or does it not really matter and better to introduce this around the time you’re ready to have a kid?

This is what most do, they wait till their ready for kids, however some need HCG to get the maximum benefits of TRT. A lot of guys view the HCG protocols as a necessary evil do to the side effects which can be unpleasant.

Mainly the libido and erectile issues when HCG is introduced.

Actually I read the opposite that hcg improves those

Most guys on testosterone, by far, are able to conceive within two to six months after adding hCG.

I do not think one is generally better than others. They work through different mechanisms and individual health circumstances vary. However, hCG has a very good track record.

If concerned with long term shut down you could run hCG for 4-6 weeks every 8-10 months or so. Some do that.

1 Like

I have two kids from using HCG for 1000 IU thrice per week with TRT. My doctor advises people inform him six months to a year before they plan on having kids.

1 Like

That choice is yours.

Cliff notes: most guys regain fertility fairly quickly (months). Some take a bit longer (6 months to over a year), but like ~97% regain fertility eventually. Forgive me for any errors, it’s been awhile since reading it.

The question I have is that the population in question is a large percentage TRT patients. Some of them likely had testicle injuries (or other medical issues impacting fertility). What percent out of the 3% were not fertile before starting TRT? I am guessing it could be significant.

I would suggest reading through the paper. I think it does a good job of quantifying what one should expect. It was one of reasons I finally decided to pull the trigger on TRT.

1 Like

Wow thanks and thanks to everyone for answering me on this. I am having libido issues but I’ve had some real ups on purely TRT and had to change protocols due to some E2 spikes here and there. I’m confident I can find the right protocol on only testosterone.

I’m going to continue on strictly TRT trying to get dialed in consistently and talk to my doctor when I’m considering having a child about introducing HCG. This is all super helpful

So Me and my wife have been trying for almost a year now. I have been running hcg ever since I started TRT which was about 4 years now. We have not been successful at getting pregnant my doctor did mention adding a fsh anolog can be very helpful

1 Like

Yes I read the same thing. And I feel better on it then with out it

Did you lower your T dosage to mitigate side effects once you added HCG? I have been on T for 4 years without HCG and will be trying for a baby in the very near future. I currently take a little less than 20 mg a day of T. Thanks in advance!

My doc kept my T dose the same, 100 mg once per week.

Any negative side effects after HCG implementation? Thinking about starting with 500 EOD and going from there.

None. My doc prescribed 1000 IU thrice per week along with testosterone.

What does your doc suggest? @mr_america

When I first started TRT, it was 150 ED of HCG. However, I didn’t follow through and it’s been 4 years since I’ve been on TRT without HCG. Will be having my next consultation (with defy medical) hopefully this week. But I’ve found doctors are all over the place with TRT protocols, with or without HCG. I’d strongly prefer to remain on TRT while starting HCG. Also, will be going to a fertility clinic with my lady next month.

1 Like

Might be some helpful stuff here: