How Long Does Elevated GH Last and Does it Matter?

I’ve been searching all around the internet for an answer to this question. I’m asking because I’m transitioning from standard keto to targeted keto (glycogen replenishment, activation of mTOR) and I do a 22-24 hour fast before my nightly workouts MWF.

Research shows that intermittent fasting raises growth hormone levels. I’m aware that it goes higher with longer (72 hour+) fasts. What I’m wondering is if my elevated levels of GH from a 24 hour fast will remain if I utilize protein and carbs for my periworkout nutrition and if the timing even matters.

I’m also aware that I need to eat to grow muscles. In the 24 hour period following my workout I’m eating in a surplus starting immediately after I leave the gym. Assuming protein synthesis is highest in this period, I believe that will be an effective way to achieve lean gains.

I appreciate any input.

That seems… unnecessarily complicated. Is there a reason why you don’t just eat a lot of food and lift a lot of weight?

As far as the elevated GH, I’m far to lazy to find any references, but I’m pretty sure the elevated GH from things like exercise, fasting, etc. don’t translate into meaningful or measurable changes in lean body mass or fat mass. You need exogenous sources for that.

Hi there. It’s really not all that complicated when I’m already on a ketogenic diet. I’m not fasting for the purposes of raising GH, I just figured if it’s a positive byproduct that I can take advantage of then it’s all the better. As for the reasons, there are many. I always thought keto diets were stupid and that calorie restriction was the only thing that mattered. I couldn’t have been more wrong. There are so many mental and physical health benefits to both low carb diets and intermittent fasting that go so far beyond weight loss. It is those benefits that got me hooked after “trying” keto to lose a few vanity pounds.