How Long Does Cooked Meat Keep?

Most say they cook a huge batch of steaks and chicken, sausage, pork, etc on sunday on a big grill or several pans and that it would last them the week after being tossed into several tupperware containers.

Some say Meat feels funky after more than 3-4 days.

Do you freeze the meat?

But how long does it keep? If a short amount of time only, do you cook twice a week, or freeze batches for the next half of a week?

I don’t know how long the “safe” period is, but I grill my 9lbs every sunday and eat it all in the next 7 days. Any meat that’s left over the next sunday gets thrown out (if for some reason I didn’t eat it all). I’ve heard it’s good for up to a week if you keep it refridgerated.

It depends entirely on the initial freshness when you bought it. After cooking I think there is a difference for many types of meat, like ground beef has 1-2 less days shelf life on it I think.

Well, I waited about 7 days to eat the last of my “hamburger steaks”. It tasted fine. I’m still alive. I usually only wait 4-5 days, though.

4-5 days old is usually tops for me too but think about all the poor starving people in the third world. They’d eat the shit out of a week old steak and ask for seconds.

Thank god I was born in Steakmerica!

I don’t think I could cook enough meat at one time to last me more than like 4 days, so that usually ends up being tops for me.

If you keep your refrigerator at 35 degrees, and cook the meat enough so it’s cooked through, and don’t store it in such a way that it sits in any of its juices… then you’re fine to keep it for a week. Just don’t let it sit at room temp too long after cooking. If possible, get it into a clean container right after cooking so the residual heat kills any bacteria in the container, and then toss it in the fridge after it cools a bit.

[quote]Wilba wrote:
4-5 days old is usually tops for me too but think about all the poor starving people in the third world. They’d eat the shit out of a week old steak and ask for seconds.

Thank god I was born in Steakmerica![/quote]

It’s our bacon reserves that truly set us apart.

Well, I’m eating this meat right now that’s about 2 weeks old and I feel find and all but…grrr glah guaspd fpoasid…

best website ever:

I cook my food for diner and always cook enough to have lunch with it the next day. I like my food to taste good and be fresh.

[quote]jskrabac wrote:
Well, I’m eating this meat right now that’s about 2 weeks old and I feel find and all but…grrr glah guaspd fpoasid…[/quote]

Dammit link, you should know better than eating week old sausage links!

[quote]ADvanced TS wrote:

[quote]Wilba wrote:

Thank god I was born in Steakmerica![/quote]

It’s our bacon reserves that truly set us apart.[/quote]

Indeed it is.

I am sometimes confused how some manage to eat food with ingredients so individual. Most mention steaks,rice,chicken,veggies, nut oils, etc.

But of course it seems foreign to me how people have meat on their plate constantly without having a wife to pick up meat from the grocers almost everyday, 3-4 days would mean if i were to cook a chicken and quarter it eating the meat twice a day, i might have to shop for 1 and a half chickens three times a week to prevent it from going bad.

I honestly think fridges of the people who post that info are too warm. Mine once accidently frosted some tomato juice so i made it slightly warmer but barely.

Do most of you guys who are part of the 99% of non elite people on T eat and eyeball everything or are you tupperware obsessed?
I honestly can’t figure out how people manage to eat such a wide variety every single day without having to shop daily, like they could eat 5 different vegetable and eat 4 different cuts of meat daily for each of their 10 meals(exaggeration) on a plate instead of a container without food going bad.

man i cook everything, and i mean everything, and just refreeze it for weeks at a time, no ill effects so far and have been doing this for well over 10 years!

maybe i am wrong to think i can do this? maybe i ought to just cook it all medium and then re heat it till its done, dunno?

but so far so good!

I left a smoked turkey on my kitchen table for over a week no refrigeration and it was fine.

I smoke 6-10lbs of chicken thighs each Sunday and they last a week plus…

I want to know what the more well known guys of tnation do to keep their food ready.

Also, how do you keep vegetables for eating too? Do you boil or steam em and pack them up like meat? Do you cook it every day?

[quote]debraD wrote:
best website ever:

[/quote]

The lady deserves recognition, good link!

[quote]Captnoblivious wrote:
I left a smoked turkey on my kitchen table for over a week no refrigeration and it was fine.

I smoke 6-10lbs of chicken thighs each Sunday and they last a week plus…[/quote]

I definitely find chicken to last a lot longer, I buy 3 whole roast chickens a week and they keep till the following Saturday, while ground beef or steak I normally chuck after 4 days.

I cook 6 - 8 lbs of chicken breasts whole and cube them after cooking, store in tupperware. I also cook a 3 - 4 lb thick cut of top round steak and slice it into 7-10 oz portions and store in tupperware. I’ve never had a problem eating any of this meat up to 7 days after cooking. I do tend to put the containers in the bottom, rear of the refrigerator, which is probably one of the coldest spots.