T Nation

How Long Do You Follow a Program?

Title says it all: how long do you follow a given program, before switching? Specifically, I was wondering about Big Boy Basics.

Also, how often do you take time off, and for how long?

(yes, I searched, and no, I didn’t find anything…)

Usually the program indicates how long it lasts; generally 4-8 weeks then take one week off and move to the next.

I couldn’t find any duration mentioned in BBB… I also didn’t see any warmups mentioned – does that mean there aren’t any needed?

Warmups are assumed, there are some good articles here on how to warmup effectively. Look for Charles Staley’s article.
For a simple answer about how long for a training program, stop when it stops working. But generally 4-6 of hard training should be followed by a lighter “deload” week where you either lighten the load, intensity, or overall volume. Good luck

I do split bodypart training and used to change bodypart workouts every workout. I’ve since realized that your body needs to adapt and program or workout before you really see results and gains. So I stick with a program until my body tells me it’s time to move on and the gains cease.

[quote]E-man wrote:
I do split bodypart training and used to change bodypart workouts every workout. I’ve since realized that your body needs to adapt and program or workout before you really see results and gains. So I stick with a program until my body tells me it’s time to move on and the gains cease.[/quote]

Personally I think everyone makes it too complicated. Follow the program until it stops producing results, then change something, it’s that easy. Make sure you pick your goals before you choose the program, and make sure you’re tracking your progress.