How Long Do You Bulk?

How long can u generally bulk before u have to cut again? i’m sure some of u bulk indefinitely while others find they have to cut much more often.

I don’t know because I’m still kind of fat, but my guess is most would bulk during the non-summer months. That’s what I’m going to do, anyway.

[quote]David1991 wrote:
how long can u generally bulk before u have to cut again? i’m sure some of u bulk indefinitely while others find they have to cut much more often. [/quote]

Until you get to a size you are happy with and felt you have put on a decent amount of muscle…

Also best to stay at your new weight for a couple of months, so your body can get used to your weight. I’ve seen a lot of guys cut straight away and they lost a lot, nearly everything of what they gained in the first place.

[quote]Goodfellow wrote:
David1991 wrote:
how long can u generally bulk before u have to cut again? i’m sure some of u bulk indefinitely while others find they have to cut much more often.

Until you get to a size you are happy with and felt you have put on a decent amount of muscle…
[/quote]

well i didnt mean how long should someone bulk, i just meant each of u individually. generally it’s 3-6 months for me before i gain too much fat

[quote]Goodfellow wrote:
Also best to stay at your new weight for a couple of months, so your body can get used to your weight. I’ve seen a lot of guys cut straight away and they lost a lot, nearly everything of what they gained in the first place.[/quote]

i’ve heard that before but idk about that. i can see staying there for 2 weeks or so but i dont see a point in staying much longer than that

Years.

This last bulk lasted about 4 months.

I’m cutting until I’m 8% bf. I’m 10-11 atm. After that I’ll maintain for a month and then bulk for a year, trying to put very little fat on.

[quote]Sir wrote:
This last bulk lasted about 4 months.

I’m cutting until I’m 8% bf. I’m 10-11 atm. After that I’ll maintain for a month and then bulk for a year, trying to put very little fat on.[/quote]

Why maintain for a whole month? to me it just seems like a month of working ur ass off for nothing. I guess not if u were working on strength goals at the time or something

I’m bulking until I hit my goal weight of 265.

I don’t care what season it is!

[quote]derek wrote:

I don’t care what season it is![/quote]

Hell yeah. Now I want to go lift and eat a steak. I’ll decide later if it’s at the same time or not.

[quote]derek wrote:

I don’t care what season it is![/quote]

Lol nice, so u dont care if u gain too much fat? 265 is pretty big, how tall are u?

It’s in my profile… 6’-2" I’m already 250 or so, so it’s a done deal.

I actually do care how much fat I gain. That’s why I take certain precautions and I keep an eye on my abs which I can still see a faint hint of (the top 4).

I see you’re 6" tall. I can see you surely getting over 200lbs.

Imagine what you’ll look like at 13% bf but 45lbs of muscle heavier!

That’s a challenge bro, can you make it happen? (yes!)

Holding the "bulk’ for a while and focusing on strength gains (maybe lower rep work, max strength) is very important. The longer youve held on the muscle, the less your body is likely to burn it up when you start trimming down.

I think its called muscle maturity or something.

[quote]derek wrote:
It’s in my profile… 6’-2" I’m already 250 or so, so it’s a done deal.

I actually do care how much fat I gain. That’s why I take certain precautions and I keep an eye on my abs which I can still see a faint hint of (the top 4).

I see you’re 6" tall. I can see you surely getting over 200lbs.

Imagine what you’ll look like at 13% bf but 45lbs of muscle heavier!

That’s a challenge bro, can you make it happen? (yes!)[/quote]

yea im definitely looking forward to eventually hitting the 200 mark. my goal is 220lb. at 10% i think that’ll look really good but who knows, i might want something different when i get near that weight.

i checked out ur profile and it seems ur a big proponent of HIT? i looked at a HIT workout, it looked terrible. something like just a few sets to failure and then nothing again for 4 days

[quote]David1991 wrote:
well i didnt mean how long should someone bulk, i just meant each of u individually. generally it’s 3-6 months for me before i gain too much fat[/quote]

Then eat a little less or exercise more, wtf?

Oh, I thought I accidentally wandered into the “Powerful Women” forum. Isn’t this what girls do, obsess over their “fat”?

Shut up, lift, eat, sleep.

I’ve been dieting/cutting for about 18 months. I’ve gone from 260lbs+ down to 170lbs. I’ve been lifting weights for 10 months (4 days a week) and I reckon I’ve added 10lbs of muscle in that time - it’s so hard while dieting. I’m starting my first bulk in a couple of weeks and I can’t wait. My plan is an 8 week bulk, followed by a 4 week cut (then repeat). I still have 10-15lbs of fat to lose, but I’ve been dieting for so long that my body is used to it and losing fat is too hard. So the plan is to add muscle and then get back to losing that excess fat. My goal is plenty more bulk and 10% body fat.

Does the 8/4 week split sound like a good idea?

[quote]Goodfellow wrote:
David1991 wrote:
well i didnt mean how long should someone bulk, i just meant each of u individually. generally it’s 3-6 months for me before i gain too much fat

[/quote]

yea…it’s called cutting.

[quote]David1991 wrote:
Goodfellow wrote:
David1991 wrote:

yea…it’s called cutting. [/quote]

Do you really believe you will get very far muscle-wise if you continously ‘bulk’ for 3-6 months and then panic all that muscle off on a cut?

I have seen your other posts around here. Not to be a dick, but howabout instead of obsessing over your bodyfat you actually put in several YEARS of intelligent bulking before even considering lowering your bodyfat.

You make it sound like you will immediately blow up into a fat fuck after a couple of months of mass gaining. Maybe you have a shit diet, or don’t know how to push yourself in the gym, but you need to stop thinking in absolutes. You are bouncing from one extreme to the next. Forget ‘bulking’ and ‘cutting’ for now. Eat enough quality food to grow and you will be fine.

[quote]David1991 wrote:
i checked out ur profile and it seems ur a big proponent of HIT? i looked at a HIT workout, it looked terrible. something like just a few sets to failure and then nothing again for 4 days[/quote]

You’re not even close.

Just think low volume, high intensity. Don’t just jump on the anti-HIT bandwagon. I say that mostly because I am INFLUENCED by HIT, not a verbatim “follower”.

Plus, if I added almost 100lbs to my frame, how horrible can my training be?

PS, please take the small amount of time and type “you are” or “you’re”. Using “ur” is so juvenile. And does it save THAT much time really?

[quote]Der Candy wrote:
David1991 wrote:
Goodfellow wrote:
David1991 wrote:

yea…it’s called cutting.

Do you really believe you will get very far muscle-wise if you continously ‘bulk’ for 3-6 months and then panic all that muscle off on a cut?

I have seen your other posts around here. Not to be a dick, but howabout instead of obsessing over your bodyfat you actually put in several YEARS of intelligent bulking before even considering lowering your bodyfat.

You make it sound like you will immediately blow up into a fat fuck after a couple of months of mass gaining. Maybe you have a shit diet, or don’t know how to push yourself in the gym, but you need to stop thinking in absolutes. You are bouncing from one extreme to the next. Forget ‘bulking’ and ‘cutting’ for now. Eat enough quality food to grow and you will be fine. [/quote]

If you diet correctly you won’t “panic all of that muscle off”.