T Nation

How Long Do They Last?

Try this experiment for yourself.

Next time you decide the fries are a good option think again. If it does not break down what does it do in your gut?

[quote]dirtbag wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-ljW5YEdao

Try this experiment for yourself.

Next time you decide the fries are a good option think again. If it does not break down what does it do in your gut? [/quote]

Not to say that it’s the best food ever, but sitting in a jar != being subject to stomach acid. It breaks down just fine in your stomach.

Also again emphasizing that fast food is obviously not the best food choice(but it’s not the devil either), the bias is so evident when the ‘intern’ takes away the regular burger and fries he’s so disgusted with, but leaves the rotting quarter pounder, big mac, filet o fis, and mcchicken, because those looked so fresh right?

The other thing is that the fries aren’t even some huge anomaly, if I had to take a guess I’d bet the heavy salt content of McDonald’s fries has some effect on how they age vs some plain fries from a mom/pop burger joint. Cooked potatoes don’t just sprout up cultures like meat will.

Ever heard of salt curing?

My guess would be the salt content as well, as high concentrations are known to inhibit the growth many types of bacteria (eg, in lab we use mannitol salt agar as a selective media for Staphylococus species as most do not tolerate such hypertonic/saline conditions).

The way in which it was prepared (deep fried, stuck under burning hot heat lamps and dumped into the container without being directly handled) may also have reduced the presence of bacteria.

Anyhow, they taste awesome. And, since I’m not shitting french fries, I’m assuming they are broken down well enough.

Everyone knows air (nitrogen, oxygen, CO2 etc)is identical to the hydrochloric acid and digestive enzymes of your stomach.

if anything, its more potent

[quote]anonym wrote:
And, since I’m not shitting french fries, I’m assuming they are broken down well enough.[/quote]

OBVIOUSLY, they accumulate!