T Nation

How long between workouts?

You work out on chest on Monday. You’re sore the next morning.

How long do you have to wait before working out on chest again? Can you do it Wednesday? That’s what I heard.

THANKS!

Actually, you can do it every single day! Just make sure you don’t do any other body parts at all.

This is a joke, right?

If not, check out the faq on this website, and start reading.

I heard that if you fart, burp, and sneeze at the same time you die!

send this post to everyone you know and Bill Gates will mail you a thousand dollars.

The common approach to training large muscle groups is to do so every 5-7 days if bodybuilding is your goal. If bodybuilding isn’t your goal then the split can differ along with the type of stimulas that body part would receive.

this is an extremely individual thing. i work each muscle once per week. i really do better with once every 5-6 days, but once per week is easier to schedule. just try out different training schedules and track your progress. kevo

A good guideline is to be totally pain free for 2-3 days before your next workout for that body part. As some have mentioned, it can be individual. So if strength training, you should be marginally stronger than the previous workout.

I train them 3 times a week. Sore or not sore. Great results. Obviously you have to go low volume. I do a total of 9-6 sets per week for each bodypart.

Generally the more often you can train the better gains you’re going to make. This is why generally younger people make better gains than older folks…they recover quicker. As far as your chest goes…the muscle itself will likely be good to go as soon as 24-48 hours after your workout depending on how hard you train and how much damage you do. It’s the nervous system that takes longer to recover. Also if you train your muscles more often they will adapt by recovering quicker…if you only hit everything once per week you’re never really forcing an increase in work capacity or recovery ability. A good way is to periodize things…hit everything 2 or 3 times a week for a while and then switch up and go higher volume per workout and hit everything once every 5-7 days for a while. This will allow you to get the best of both worlds.

i work out every other day , so every 5th day i do chest

Thanks to those who tried to help. You answered my question.