How Long Between Reps for DL?

[quote]fightingtiger wrote:
It is acceptable to fully dead the weight between reps. Eliminating the stretch reflex simply makes it so there is no “bounce” and each rep is forcing you to generate the same amount of power as the last.

Last time I checked, the deadlift wasnt an olympic movement, especially not with the trap bar.[/quote]

Deadlift With Dumbass Trainer = T-Nation Olympic Movement !!

[quote]tikkigod wrote:
Also, I’m positive I was deadlifting. Is it even possible to do a clean with a trapbar?
quote]

Glad the other part helped or else I would be an idiot.

Most basketball players benefit from doing almost any leg strengthening. Playing pickup all the time your are jumping and sprinting most of the time(at least shoulld be), but the max strength tends to be weak.

If your a post player you might want to sit against a wall and push the wall back as hard as you can for as long as you can up until a minute. In terms of moving people in the paint, nothing works better.

Congrats on your improvement, keep up the good work.

[quote]jtrinsey wrote:
On the two examples where multiple reps are performed, his athletes are clearly not doing “touch-and-go” but resting anywhere from 2-5 seconds, either to take a big breath and get set or to reset grip.
[/quote]

As in stand all the way up and then reset?

put it down, let it go, grab it again and go. well you don’t have to let it go, but you do have to put it down. not bounce it at all.

why are you doing westside when you have not lifted weights EVER seriously? you should be on more of a beginner routine. NOT because WS is bad, but because it is overkill on the complexity and your gains will probably be slower than simply doing whole body 3x a week and pushing for weight increases again and again.

[quote]Magarhe wrote:
put it down, let it go, grab it again and go. well you don’t have to let it go, but you do have to put it down. not bounce it at all.

why are you doing westside when you have not lifted weights EVER seriously? you should be on more of a beginner routine. NOT because WS is bad, but because it is overkill on the complexity and your gains will probably be slower than simply doing whole body 3x a week and pushing for weight increases again and again. [/quote]

I used the following program on Defranco’s site for 3 weeks prior to starting WS4SB:

defrancostraining.com/articles/archive/articles_training-economy.htm

I found success with this beginner program so then I decided to move onto another program. What do you mean by “overkill on complexity?” I think the program is pretty straightforward and I always push for gains each session.

Are there any specific programs you recommend for 3x/week total body training? It seems Chad Waterbury’s programs are popular.

[quote]polluted wrote:
jtrinsey wrote:
On the two examples where multiple reps are performed, his athletes are clearly not doing “touch-and-go” but resting anywhere from 2-5 seconds, either to take a big breath and get set or to reset grip.

As in stand all the way up and then reset?

[/quote]

No, just resting in the bottom position. The guy demonstrating the straight-bar deadlift pauses for about a second or two, what looks long enough to just take a big deep breath and get tight;

the girl demonstrating the rack pulls takes a little more time in between reps, but keeps her hands on the bar except for one time where she resets her grip. She does not appear to be as advanced as the guy performing the deadlift, so it would make sense that it takes her a second or two longer to get set for the next rep.

I definitly think that a beginner needs a few seconds in between reps. You can stand up if you want or not, I don’t think it matters. But having a relative newbie rush through deadlifts or bouncing the bar off the floor because he’s trying to be explosive sounds like a recipe for disaster.

To address the OP:

WS4SB is a GREAT program, ESPECIALLY for beginners. You have stated yourself that you like the program and are getting good results. That is proof enough, but if it wasn’t, there are hundreds of professional, collegiate, high school and even middle school athletes who are/have trained with DeFranco, using this template who have gotten great results.

They range from the best athletes on the planet to weak 14-year olds. Nothing about the program is complicated, in fact, it is one of the simplest programs for a beginner to follow.

Many beginners suffer paralysis analysis, that is, you have all this information at your fingertips but don’t know how to use it and some of it contradicts other parts and it’s confusing. So sometimes knowing a little less is helpful.

My advice, read everything on DeFranco’s site (especially the Q&A’s), buy the DVD and spend the entire summer working your ass off on the program.

It really ain’t that complicated unless you wanna make it so. Good luck with your training.

[quote]tikkigod wrote:
Let me first say that the past 5 weeks are the first time I have seriously weight trained in my life. It was actually coming across this site that really motivated me to give weight training a serious effort. The amount of information here is fantastic.

I am currently using Joe DeFranco’s modified WS4SB program. The other day I was doing dead lifts with the trap bar as part of my ME lower body day and one of the trainers told me I was doing them incorrectly. I asked him what was wrong and he told me my form was correct but I was letting the weight rest too long on the ground.

He told me that the deadlift was an olympic movement and the bar speed should be fast. He told me that I should be pulling the weight again as soon as it touches the ground and if I can’t do so then that means the weight is too heavy. He told me that by placing the weight down for a few seconds between each rep I lose the stretch-reflex benefit.

Is this correct? I have found different answers looking through this site. I was on my last set (6th) going for 3 reps so I was pausing a few seconds between pulls in order to give my best effort.

Any opinions/answers to this would be greatly appreciated. [/quote]

Both ways have their merits. Personally i almost always do singles on the dead(westside template) so its not an issue for me. However, on the rare occasions that i do pull doubles+ i always pause. The reason is twofold. Firstly, i am weak off the floor. And secondly it always me to get super tight at the start of the rep(safer)

A lifter who is weak at the top of the lift could find continuous reps useful as it would teach them to accelerate hard through the middle and top portions of the deadlift. However, i reckon you should only do this if your form is awesome and you can keep your tightness