T Nation

How Long After Protein Shake to Eat or Does It Matter

Currently cutting and wondering when should I eat after having my shake? My morning looks like this:

630am - wake up breakfast is cream of wheat with 2 scoops protein (carb intake dependent on what I’m training)
730am - get to gym and train usually until around 9
9am - 1 scoop BCAA, Vitargo (carb intake also dependent on what I train), creatine monohydrate
915am - 2 scoops protein
930am - pretty much hungry as shit

I’ve spoke to some guys who say that’s a lot to take in during a short time frame and others who say it doesn’t matter. What are your thoughts?

if you’re hungry - eat.

3 Likes

If you’re having 4 scoops of protein in the first 3 hours of your day there’s absolutely no need to be taking BCAAs.

In the first 2-3 hours of being awake you’ve already consumed 100g worth of protein from powder alone… wtf

FWIW I take myprotein protein powder its 19g per scoop so 80g total. Its a lot but hard to have anything else before a morning workout. I used to have egg whites cream of wheat etc but would feel nauseous at the gym

Just have a scoop (with carbs if you’re not carbphobic). Come home and eat breakfast.

Easy.

I’d drop the breakfast from 2 scoops to 1, I’d drop the BCAA’s, and I’d drop one of the scoops of protein at 915. I would also eat a real meal at 915 or 930.

3 Likes

You’re wasting your money with the BCAAs and vitargo, BCAAs are useless if you get enough protein (and it appears that you do, unless that’s all you eat for the day) and vitargo is just overpriced carbs. Maltodextrin would do the same thing for a fraction of the price, gastric clearance rate is irrelevant unless you are consuming large amounts of carbs during training, vitargo is mostly only useful for endurance athletes.

If the time between your first meal and the end of your workout is that short then you don’t really need to rush to get another meal in, you should still have available amino acids from all that protein you had when you woke up. Have some form of carbs DURING training (Gatorade is the obvious choice, nothing too fancy is necessary) and just eat a regular meal (high protein, sufficient carbs) shortly after training.

1 Like

BCAAs I get for free so its not like its going to hurt but how could having 1 scoop be of protein PWO be better than what I’m currently doing?

Not knowing about the rest of your day set up, your post-workout protein intake via shakes is probably overkill. Take advantage of the fact you have trained and consume a large portion of your daily energy intake with a late breakfast; modest lunch; light dinner, etc.

Post-training I am seldom hungry, even when fasting. Your hunger may be something to do with how you manage your insulin levels. Reevaluate your position and go from there.

It’s more than you need to blunt protein breakdown and promote protein synthesis so you may as well save yourself the fuss and money.

As a meal, have something with a good amount of protein, carbs and fat. Make sure there are veggies and try to eat food rather than supplements.

1 Like

The point is that having that much does not benefit you. Is it hurting you? Maybe, maybe not. Many people would be a gas machine from supplementing that heavily.

Better to trade those calories out for more nutritious foods.

Makes sense, I worked for an IFBB pro in college and consulted his advice on this today at the gym since its obvious my current routine could use some adjustments and he agreed with what has been said. Appreciate all the advice!

Have you tried training first thing before eating? My best work outs are on an empty stomach, pre-workout 10min prior for a boost, BCAA’s during my work out. First meal of oatmeal, eggs n veggies right after. I try to limit any shakes to one a day max.

current studies have shown that “eating smaller meals several times a day will turn your metabolism in to a fat burning machine” is really a myth and that total calories in/out is the single biggest factor in weight loss/gain. That said, some people’s eating habits change when they eat smaller meals and some people can’t handle larger meals so it’s those changes in habits that may be affected. For example, some people may snack more in between meals. Your total caloric intake combined with hitting your desired macros for current goals is what’s most important.

Also studies have shown that 40g of protein per meal may be ideal and the upper end of what can be utilized at any given time. That’s not to say that more protein is bad by any means if those extra protein calories fit your macros, especially for weight loss.

BCAAs have been shown to be anti-catabolic while in caloric deficits