How Long After Being Sick?

[quote]ipjunkie wrote:

I do agree that someone should have the common sense to not workout if they are sick, and when they feel better, start slowly. [/quote]

The original poster had the common sense to not work out whilst sick, he was merely asking what would be an appropriate length of time to wait after getting better before starting out again with his workouts.

For example, if he’s thinking that 1 day of rest is OK and yet he gets a bunch of guys replying that in their experience they crashed and burned after returning to the gym 1 day after they were sick then the guy learns something and doesn’t make the same mistake. I would say that this would make it a sensible question.

[quote]ipjunkie wrote:

Many on here(noobs especially) just need to be told what to do because they lack the ability to trust their instincts, because they don’t have any. They are too wrapped up in religiously sticking to a program, or a diet, or whatever to actually think for themselves. [/quote]

But how often is a newbie’s instincts or knowledge about training wrong or misinformed?

E.g. 3 sets of 10 for every exercise all year 'round because that’s what the health magazines tell them? They’re gonna get HYOOOGE with that workout, NOT!

Calm down folks.

If innocuous questions like this are what get your panties in a bunch, then death from a heart attack is probably in your future.

[quote]TeeVee69 wrote:
Calm down folks.

If innocuous questions like this are what get your panties in a bunch, then death from a heart attack is probably in your future.[/quote]

Nothing but good clean fun. Will Ferrell, Old School,…You’re my boy FLU!!

start eating bro, then after, you can digest properly everything you get ur hands on, try to do the same set scheme, but with less weight and a little bit of rest between sets, ur body is the best indicator

Hey guys, didn’t mean to start a thread that turned heated, just wanted a simple answer. And thanks to all you guys who offered a little advice.
I am new to the lifting game obviously, and that’s why I asked the question. From everything I’ve read, new guys should NOT trust their gut on everything. I’m trusting you experienced guys on my diet and routine. I just figured that there were some of you out there who, maybe after waiting 2 days after being sick, went to the gym and then got even worse. I didn’t know if one of the awesome docs on here had researched into some kind of “immuno-timeframe for minimizing losses” or something.
Anyway, I’ve decided that even though I feel fine today, I’m not going to trust my gut and instead wait another day, even though I’m dying to get to the gym. Better to be safe, I guess. And thanks again to everyone who answered.

74, let me put it this way. There are lots of questions people ask that you may find stupid. I saw your post on the shoulder injury and you were spot on. Good call, you obviously know what you’re talking about. That’s awesome. But a lot of people may come on here asking questions because they have no idea what they’re doing when it comes to diet and exercise. Hell, I consider myself relatively knowledgable about both subjects and had no idea what was wrong with that woman’s shoulder.

However, if you were to come on one of my computer forums and ask a noob question about programming I wouldn’t call you stupid and tell you it’s common sense, even if it was about something I could do in my sleep. My point is, lots of things appear obvious to those who already know them. So what if the poster “shouldn’t need his hand held?” Who made it your job to point that out to him? I understand you’ve already got your mind set on arguing with everyone on this point but just remember that there was probably a point in your life where you didn’t know when to go back to training after being sick.

Cheers,
Jay

[quote]m0dd3r wrote:
74, let me put it this way. There are lots of questions people ask that you may find stupid. I saw your post on the shoulder injury and you were spot on. Good call, you obviously know what you’re talking about. That’s awesome. But a lot of people may come on here asking questions because they have no idea what they’re doing when it comes to diet and exercise. Hell, I consider myself relatively knowledgable about both subjects and had no idea what was wrong with that woman’s shoulder.

However, if you were to come on one of my computer forums and ask a noob question about programming I wouldn’t call you stupid and tell you it’s common sense, even if it was about something I could do in my sleep. My point is, lots of things appear obvious to those who already know them. So what if the poster “shouldn’t need his hand held?” Who made it your job to point that out to him? I understand you’ve already got your mind set on arguing with everyone on this point but just remember that there was probably a point in your life where you didn’t know when to go back to training after being sick.

Cheers,
Jay[/quote]

I am not arguing your point about being a newbie to a particular field of study. I am in complete agreement with your thought there. I am simply trying to state that I think this is a common sense type problem…you give it a try, if you feel good continue if not, continue to rest. This isn’t a newbie training question such as reps, sets, tempo, technique, etc. It strikes me as a newbie to life question.

And with this I am out. See you all in another thread. Its been fun.

[quote]dharmabum31 wrote:
Hey guys, didn’t mean to start a thread that turned heated, just wanted a simple answer. And thanks to all you guys who offered a little advice.

I am new to the lifting game obviously, and that’s why I asked the question. From everything I’ve read, new guys should NOT trust their gut on everything. I’m trusting you experienced guys on my diet and routine.

I just figured that there were some of you out there who, maybe after waiting 2 days after being sick, went to the gym and then got even worse. I didn’t know if one of the awesome docs on here had researched into some kind of “immuno-timeframe for minimizing losses” or something.

Anyway, I’ve decided that even though I feel fine today, I’m not going to trust my gut and instead wait another day, even though I’m dying to get to the gym. Better to be safe, I guess. And thanks again to everyone who answered. [/quote]

No worries mate, pleased to be of assistance. 74 and I were just having a bit of fun, it gets like that on T-Nation sometimes. Although I think this last post of yours proves my argument was right, LOL!

It seems like you are doing the right thing by resting up. In the future, if it’s a minor head cold or something like that you should be able to train, just make sure you sleep enough to recover. If it is more serious like vomiting, bad fever or the flu, then you really need to consider that your body needs to use all its energy to fight off the infection.

If people do things like come back to work too early after having the flu (I see this all the time) and end up being sick again because they pushed things too far, how much more damaging is it to go and lift weights whilst in the same condition?

Cheers,

Ben

in my oppinion take a day off after being sick as long as it wasent real sick. i have a hard time doing that i usually just go while im sick