How Is This Full Body Routine?

im in the middle of basketball season, so I’m doing a full body routine. how is this? I had to take a couple things out, including all excercises because I recently strained my right hip flexor pretty badly, and can’t do squats or deadlifts for a while, which blows. I also can’t do standing barbell military presses.

Day 1
Barbell Bench Press- 4 sets, 4-6 reps
Seated Rows- 4 sets, 8-10 reps
Dumbell Shoulder Press- 3 sets, 6-8 reps
Lat Pulldowns- 2 sets, 6-8 reps
Tricep Pushdowns- 3 sets, 6-8 reps
Dumbell Curls- 3 sets, 6-8 reps

Day 2
Incline Dumbell Bench Press- 3 sets, 6-8 reps
Bent Over Rows- 3 sets, 4-8 reps
Dumbell Flies- 2 sets, 8-10 reps
Upright Rows- 3 sets, 6-8 reps
Skullcrushers- 3 sets, 6-8 reps
Incline Dumbell Curls- 3 sets, 6-8 reps

Day 3
Chinups- 3 sets, failure
Decline Dumbell Press- 3 sets, 8-10 reps
Seated Dumbell Front Raises- 3 sets, 8-10 reps
Rear Laterals- 2 sets, 6-8 reps
Dips - 4 sets, failure
Hammer Curls- 2 sets, 8-10 reps
Reverse Curls- 2 sets, 8-10 reps

It’s ok. By Day 1, 2, 3, I assume you’re taking some rest in between days, and not doing it consecutively?

Also, are you incorporating any agility or conditioning drills, or did you just specifically list the weight routine.

yeah im in the middle of the season for basketball, so my workout days depend on what days i don’t have games.

and im doing conditioning and agility stuff in practice for school.

Maybe its just me, but I imagine your body would get pretty overloaded from a routine like that. How did you plan on implementing this?

If you planned this for let’s say, M W F, you’d be exercising each upper body part 4 times a week. M to M would be 4 times in 7 days. Too much rest in between would make it almost useless to use a program like this. ???

I would imagine your performance would go down over time with this. I’m not acquainted with all types of programs since I only use the ones for my body type. Maybe this will work for you but I wonder…
-T

Hi TheReasonSF3,

Generally I would suggest cutting back on heavy lifting during season. That is what the off season is for. But, the individual will always be the X-Factor.

If you have been lifting for a long time and don’t feel sore, or don’t see any decline in your Basketball performance, then continue doing the workout. But, also realize that decreases in performance will usually only occur well into a state of Overtraining.

In the future I would consider Periodizing your training season. If you don’t know what that is, ask, and I, or one of the other knowledgeable people on this site, will be happy to tell you.

Good training,

Sentoguy

It’s not a full body program, it’s a body part split, as well it’s a bit much I think.

I reckon you’re better off designing a real full body routine and following it 2 or 3 times a week. Keep the volume low and you can still make gains whilst not decreasing your performance on the court.

Your current workout would be good (although imo still a little too much volume) in the off-season where you’re mainly lying around the house eating everything you see.

First of all what are you trying to acheieve with this routine? I’m guessing mass because the parameters aren’t suitable for neither maximal strength nor endurance. Although I can deduct the intensity level you should’ve specified it. Rest periods?

Regardless, it’s poorly designed. You’re using pretty much the same rep bracket for the whole week. And on top of that you’ve got two compound exercises for both, pressing and pulling, each workout. You will need to use pretty light weights to pull that off and not burn out on the next week, which judging from your post you aren’t even going to try. Pull-ups and dips to failure in a 3x/week total-body plan are a straight route to …well, failure.

The number one rule in frequent workouts is that it’s better to undredo it and then build up to feel out your tolerance zone. Let it feel like you didn’t do enough - your level of exhaustion is measured weekly not after each workout. And if you embark on this routine you will burn out on week 2 and most importantly not achieve the desired result.

And if at some point this is going to be performed parallel to basketball training you are totally out of luck. For total body 3x and above the basic principle is to lower the workload in favor of frequency - stretch it out over more workouts.

Would’nt be a fullbody routine then.

ive been doing a routine similar to this for most of the season and haven’t felt tired at all. i think i recover faster then most people.

how is this instead?

Day 1
Barbell Bench Press- 4 sets, 4-6 reps
Seated Rows- 4 sets, 8-10 reps
Dumbell Shoulder Press- 3 sets, 6-8 reps
Tricep Pushdowns- 3 sets, 6-8 reps
Dumbell Curls- 3 sets, 6-8 reps

Day 2
Incline Dumbell Bench Press- 3 sets, 6-8 reps
Bent Over Rows- 3 sets, 4-8 reps
Upright Rows- 3 sets, 6-8 reps
Skullcrushers- 3 sets, 6-8 reps
Incline Dumbell Curls- 3 sets, 6-8 reps

Day 3
Decline Dumbell Press- 3 sets, 8-10 reps
Lat Pulldowns- 3 sets, 6-8 reps
Rear Laterals- 2 sets, 6-8 reps
Tricep Extensions- 2 sets, 6-8 reps
Reverse Curls- 2 sets, 8-10 reps

or this (i found this post on another forum)
workout A:
lower body pull: deadlifts
accessory lower body pull: hyper-exstensions or leg curls
upper body horizontal push: BB bench press
upper body horizontal pull: bent over BB rows
isolation biceps work
isolation trieps work

workout B:
lower body push: squats
accessory lower body push: lunges or leg exstensions
upper body vertical push: military press
upper body vertical pull: pullups or lat pulldowns