How Is This Crap Being Published?

After just revisiting that thread about webMD’s brilliant job of “busting” food myths, or whatever it was… I want to know, how in the fuck is this possible?

HOW is this shit being published? We’ve all seen assanine articles being published everywhere. We’ve all seen jackass personal trainers having their clients do shitty workouts. We’ve all heard people say “But he/she said all I have to do is drink this substance right after I work out and I’ll look like Arnold.”

What the fuck is wrong with people?

(Thats the article I was talking about.)

These are some things taken from said article:

Instead of spreading my 2500 or so calories I eat per day, I’m going to eat 1000 cals during my waking hours, then I’ll eat a 1500 calorie meal at night. See what happens. Fuck off, Rosenbloom. There is proof of this myth. Look around you.

Right. Instead of eating my low glycemic veggies all day long, I’ll eat twinkies. Out of curiosity, what method would you suggest I use to lose weight and manage blood sugar levels? Is this not why cases of diabetes has gone up in the past years? Fuck off, Rosenbloom. There is proof of this myth. Look around you.

8 grams of protein, post workout. No one here gets protein from supplements. We get it from protein powder. Protein powder is food. And yes, we do need that protein. Fuck off, Rosenbloom. There is proof of this myth. Look around you.

So, my question is… How does this shit get regurgitated?

If you can’t trust your doctor, who CAN you trust?

I think the myths are all overly simplistic and then rosenbloom goes about “shattering” them by saying well its kinda ok or true but not totally.

The 8 grams of protein from chocolate milk is pretty awesome. I mean it doesn’t take scouring the literature to see that an 80:20 casein:whey blend isn’t optimal post workout.

The thing is you didn’t post the best part of the article where she recommends eating refined grains

[quote]Otep wrote:
If you can’t trust your doctor, who CAN you trust?[/quote]

Obama?

[quote]dk44 wrote:
Otep wrote:

Obama?[/quote]

Nader.

[quote]EG wrote:
dk44 wrote:
Otep wrote:

Obama?

Nader.[/quote]

Phelps

I like the pimping of high fructose corn syrup. It’s like, made from corn, so it’s all natural. And is totally cool in moderation.

Yeah, moderation… too bad that’s impossible in what most people would consider a normal diet because IT’S IN FUCKING EVERYTHING.

lol@ 8 grams of protein.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:

Rosenbloom recommends that after weight training, athletes consume a little bit of protein – about 8 grams, the amount in a small carton of low-fat chocolate milk – to help their muscles rebuild.

“That’s probably all you need,” she says. “You don’t need four scoops of whey powder to get that amount of protein.”

[/quote]

8 grams is all you need?

Damn. I can spit 8 grams of protein if I hawk up a big lunger.

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
rrjc5488 wrote:

Rosenbloom recommends that after weight training, athletes consume a little bit of protein – about 8 grams, the amount in a small carton of low-fat chocolate milk – to help their muscles rebuild.

“That’s probably all you need,” she says. “You don’t need four scoops of whey powder to get that amount of protein.”

8 grams is all you need?

Damn. I can spit 8 grams of protein if I hawk up a big lunger.

[/quote]

Or something else, but I prefer you swallow.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:

Or something else, but I prefer you swallow.[/quote]

I’m working a tough room.
Everyone’s a comedian around here.

[Hooray, I have internet again!]

These mythbusters come across as dilettantes. Doctor or not, as long as one doesn’t walk the walk (in this case, live an athletic lifestyle) he knows nothing.
If you sit on your ass all day, your internal chemistry is way different from someone who’s active and wants to build muscle, for instance.

The timing of calories is of course very important and can be a valuable tool for body recompositioning, depending on genetics and goals.
And hearing the old ‘a calorie is a calorie’ nonsense from educated people constitutes a crime in my book.

Let’s check the other “myths”:
Glycemic index not the most important thing on earth- more or less right, but the way they present it, people will take it as a complete myth. Some guys, however are very sensitive to GI and for them it’s valuable information.
Subtle lobbyism, cancer of our time.

Myth: High fructose corn syrup causes weight gain?- like before; the point is not that there’s “probably nothing particularly evil about high fructose corn syrup, compared to regular old sugar” but that syrup and sugar is WAY too present in the average american diet.
They should’ve written: it’s as bad AS sugar and that sugar is just a synonym for shit.

Coffeine - true, people rarely die because of it. And experiments about whether coffee dehydrates people have already been conducted by this guy

So this is hardly news. Yawn.

Drinking more water daily will help you lose weight? - Yes, people who believe that just drinking more water while not training or changing dietary habits are doing something wrong. Big deal.

Myth -Sugar causes behavioral problems in kids?
This is one is tricky.
For one, the sugar lobby is one of the strongest out there. Sugar can impose an addiction on people and you can get serious cravings as your bloodsugar can spike strongly to just a small candy bar. Way too strong for our genetic setup (see Diabetes exploding in recent decades). And from my (amateurish) perspective and my experience with kids, I say it’s very real and most studies to undermine that theory were probably made by Dr. Nestle and Prof. Kellogg et al.

‘You need less Protein then you think’- ridiculous crap.
There are so many variables here, every athlete who’s played only a bit with supplementation knows this at once.
First of all, rarely do people have -for many reasons- an ideal protein absorption, which can be simply circumvented by eating more of it.
Second, protein is used for more then just muscle.
Your brain is made of protein!
Sex drive in most males usually increases, which means that your fresh sperm conscripts along with the cardio part burn nearly half the protein shake you swallowed earlier.
Etc. etc.

The whole article is laugable. The tone and subtextual intent makes me feel mighty suspicious (low-fat chocolate milk as a protein shake, soup may make you fat…). There is a lot wrong with modern diet, bit these myths will not make the average, uninformed reader better informed or fitter, rather fatter, as the experts assure him that his familiar dietary habits are not that bad.

[quote]That One Guy wrote:
EG wrote:
dk44 wrote:
Otep wrote:

Obama?

Nader.

Phelps[/quote]

You win.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
I’m going to eat 1000 cals during my [bold] waking hours,[/bold] then I’ll eat a 1500 calorie meal at night. See what happens. [/quote]

i read ‘wanking hours’ first time round and it was much funnier.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone seen any pictures of the author? I’d be interested to see what kind of shape she’s in… I’m guessing a round shape

There are a lot of these ridiculous “mythbusting” articles online, not just for health, although a lot of them seemed to be geared that way.

One thing i’ve noticed is that the myths are presented in a misleading fashion. For insance:

Myth: High fructose corn syrup causes weight gain

But that sentence taken by itself is TRUE. Just because it’s not worse than normal sugar doesn’t mean regular sugar isn’t shit too.

A lot of the myths presented on these lists are actually true they’re just false in a few cases.

But god, 8 grams of protein? Christ.

All these articles are made for the American public. The American public wants everything to be quick, easy, AND simple. That’s why these people write this crap: just to make the general public happy even though no scientific basis can be involved.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
Myth: Eating at night makes you fat.

Reality: Calories count, whenever you eat them.

There’s no proof for this myth, Rosenbloom says. She notes some small studies with mixed results, tests on animals, and a belief that because eating breakfast is linked to lower BMI, eating at night isn’t as good. But all in all, Rosenbloom says, it’s your calorie total that matters, day or night.

Instead of spreading my 2500 or so calories I eat per day, I’m going to eat 1000 cals during my waking hours, then I’ll eat a 1500 calorie meal at night. See what happens. Fuck off, Rosenbloom. There is proof of this myth. Look around you.[/quote]

Lol. Naw man, you gotta try eating a few hours after you wake up, and then the moment you go to bed.

same misguided anti-fitness anti-bodybuilding anti-fat anti-protein anti-cholesterol bullshit that has been pumped out of medical institutions (and into doctor brains) since the 1970’s

[quote]MarvelGirl wrote:
I like the pimping of high fructose corn syrup. It’s like, made from corn, so it’s all natural. And is totally cool in moderation.

Yeah, moderation… too bad that’s impossible in what most people would consider a normal diet because IT’S IN FUCKING EVERYTHING.[/quote]

a small or “moderate” amount of crap is still crap, there’s no reason to eat crap in moderation